Verizon reveals its Ice Cream Sandwich list: No Motorola DROID 3 or DROID 4
0. phoneArena 06 Mar 2012, 13:05 posted on
Big Red has disseminated a list of devices that will be getting the Android 4.0 update; the list is not all inclusive as the carrier said that it would be adding to it over time with the updates all occurring later this year with each manufacturer having its own schedule for the update...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. kshell1 (Posts: 1119; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
imkyle is correct i just checked the link and the Droid 4 is in fact on the list of upcoming ICS updates.
5. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Da da DAAAAA! The Evil Empire strikes again! On an unrelated Note, rooting is awesome!
6. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the Razr update is probably coming sooner than Q3 because Motorola didn't even add it to their software update forum likely being because it's status is soon to change.
7. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
bummer about the Charge. i guess this means Ma will probably get an Upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus at the end of this month.
8. thisiswang (Posts: 5; Member since: 19 Dec 2011)
am I dumb or stupid becuse I see Droid 4 on there?
10. davelisa3210 (Posts: 8; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Rooted my Verizon Xoom, it's oh so sweet!. Verizon can ICS there whole inventory, when the HTC ONE X comes to At&t I'M OUT!!!! Gonna leave my wife and daughter on vzw so I won't loose or unlimited access but I'm gonna surf at&t for all while.
13. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
don't leave for the One. it's not that great and it's likely Verizon will get a variant maybe even with the "true" S4 with Adreno3xx graphics.
21. Forsaken77 (Posts: 542; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Stop being such a Verizon whore! The only reason AT&T changed the processor is for LTE reasons. I would think Verizon would do the same thing if they wanted the phone to use LTE. And from the data shown, the difference is zero.
27. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
what are you talking about? i don't mind the S4 the One X uses. it's not the final version as it uses Adreno225 graphics but it's still just fine. i'm not complaining about it. i'm just saying there's a chance Verizon will get a better version with the better S4 that Qualcomm will put out and besides that a Verizon customer shouldn't leave for a phone because they'll lose the unlimited data they're probably grandfathered into which is a big deal because Verizon has the best service and for the record i dislike you Forsaken77. you talk a lot of s**t.
12. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i feel like it might be a RAM thing. the Droid 3 may very well not get it after all. it's a great phone on 2.3.4 though. it may not be quite as fast as my Razr but it was more stable and reliable being on 2.3.4 than this 2.3.5+ crap we've been getting on the Razr.
14. c.hack (Posts: 487; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Sooo, "Open" operating system means no updates for by Droid X2 with its locked bootloader? Obsolete in 9 months or less?
Android FAIL. Again.
15. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
that has nothing to do with it.
the X2 was a mistake and i've said it all along.
16. Wildmanfan (Posts: 217; Member since: 15 Jul 2010)
Yo VZW, no love for Samsung phones? WTF bro? What kind of bogus favortism is that? This makes me sick.
17. EarnYourLeather (Posts: 85; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
With the rate of change for the updates you really aren't missing anything. We'll see how long it takes before "later this year" turns into "Q3 for sure" and then "Definitely Q4."
18. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it's really Samsung. they're kind of bad about updates unlike Moto and HTC.
22. Goldeneye (Posts: 344; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
Yeap Samsung fanboys there you have it they did again! And still think Samsung is the greatest mobile phone company?
19. CommentBoxEnforcer (Posts: 78; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
HTC thunderboltand no Droid charge .... WOW!!!!! That was the most problem infested phone of 2011
20. vzwincred (Posts: 28; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
i'm tired of not hearing anything about my spectrum. no specific dates?! this is supposed to be a "HIGH END" phone! get with it vzw!
23. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
lg has confirmed that the entire optimus LTE line will be getting ICS in Q2, its on verizon.
31. vzwincred (Posts: 28; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
I chatted with one of the LG reps and he said there is no timeline and nothing has been reported. I appreciate the update then!
24. s0rowca (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Samsung released a statement that said they would not do any ics updates to any phones older than the galaxy. That was their (Samsung's) statement not Verizon's or any other carrier for that matter.
25. 14545 (Posts: 975; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
WTF???? Q3 for moto devices? It's ridiculous enough the fact that it takes HTC and others 3-6 months, but 9+, dang. What was the point of google asking the manufacturers to update their devices for 18 months if it is going to take 9 or more months to get the "latest" software? By that time JB will be out. Good thing we have a great dev community. I guess I'll just go ahead and go with the Gnex, no reason to wait for 6-9 months to get an upgrade.
28. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
9 months would put it at the end of Q3. :P
Phone Arena errored because there is no time-table from Motorola about Verizon's models with the exception of the Xyboards. Q3 is for other Motorola made handsets like the EU Razr and others.
34. squeeb (Posts: 99; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Yep its f**king ridiculous. I'm absolutely done with moto phones now.
26. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 770; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Not surprised about the Droid 3. Not enough RAM for it to handle the update most likely.
29. BlacRaZredge (Posts: 36; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
in my eyes this is not fast enough. they all need to be working night and day to get these things up to par. we dish out a lot of money for smartphones. we expect them to be up to snuff. i feel sorry for all the poor bastards that still have droid 2/2g/r2d2s. anyone know if there is a fix for that?
33. c.hack (Posts: 487; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Yeah get an iPhone. You will actually get updates when the new OS rolls out, and not 12 months later (if you're lucky) like with android. A 2 year old iPhone 3GS still gets updates, but my 9 month old droid DX2 is obsolete and abandoned.
41. BlacRaZredge (Posts: 36; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
i will not get an ipod with a phone feature. they are so boring. i had one for a week and i went back to my razr. in order to get it to do what i wanted i had to jail break it. with any droid i dont need to do that. iphone is a great basic smartphone for those that dont know how to run a tv remote.
35. cappy718 (Posts: 24; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
Hey phone arena...fix this correct and change that the droid 4 will get it, not just the snippet inside the article...still says it on the outside of the article on homepage...
36. aar0983 (Posts: 51; Member since: 26 Sep 2011)
sorry for the noob question but does it matter that my phone is rooted? Will I still get the update and install it without problems?
Sent from my Doid Bionic!!!
37. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you'll have to unroot before you install the update.
40. cr8tive007 (Posts: 53; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!!!! Total bullish!t!!! When I bought my RAZR the sold me on the fact that ICS was coming out in JANUARY!!! NOT sometime in the future after March... the phones they will have out by that time will be soooooo much faster and have JB software already installed... what the hell I'm gonna do with ICS? thanks a lot for nothing...
42. JunitoNH (Posts: 713; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Ok Verizon, when? Soon can mean tomorrow, six months, or mean before year end.