Verizon doubles the megabyte allowance for newly signed 4G smartphone data plans
0. phoneArena 09 Nov 2011, 02:19 posted on
Starting tomorrow, November 8, anyone who commits to a 4G smartphone data plan with Verizon will receive twice the megabytes that the plan includes...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
14. roldefol (Posts: 4304; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Sure. You get 4000 MB instead of 2000. :)
11. SMB (Posts: 30; Member since: 02 Aug 2010)
I signed up for a 2GB plan back in August. Can I call and get this deal?
15. snowgator (Posts: 3597; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Good!! We are between re-upping at AT&T or moving to Verizon. It is nice to have options. Verizon is the most expensive, so to have a more on their plans is a plus. Throw in the overall best nationwide network, and it will be okay if we are sliding over to Verizon now.
21. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Verizon should make this move permanent. 2 gigs scares me as a ceiling, but I would be very comfortable with 4 gigs.
Dammit, if only the RAZR was coming to AT&T.
23. roldefol (Posts: 4304; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
It just didn't make sense that they would tier 3G and 4G equally. 2 GB over LTE takes up so much less bandwidth than over EVDO.
36. torr310 (Posts: 857; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
This is an endless road. Once you got 4GB, you will be hoping for 8GB a few months later.
40. snowgator (Posts: 3597; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
If only this pushes AT&T to 4G as well. Doesn't hurt to hope.
24. Jyakotu (Posts: 844; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I wonder if this move will make AT&T increase their data allowance for their 4G devices. At least make the $15 plan 2GB, the $25 5GB, and the $45 should be upped to 10GB (5GB for data + tethering). I love AT&T, despite currently having Sprint, but I think they should allow users more data because, let's be honest, a lot of average users won't utilize Wi-Fi.
27. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Not true....AT&T does have the most Wi-Fi connections of any network....that is why the congestion has dropped...lol.
Plus, they have 15.00/200 MB plan, so I doubt they will offer a similar plan to Verizon, unfortunately.
32. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
AT&T usually copies Verizon's plans. They don't have LTE though so..
26. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Is this permanent? Meaning, if I sign up now, will I be reduced to the regular allowance of data at some point?
61. baboex (Posts: 10; Member since: 10 Oct 2011)
If you sign up for this promotion, you keep it until you make some change to your data features. Ex. Switching from the 2/4 Gb plan to the 5Gb plan AFTER the promotion has ended.
31. roldefol (Posts: 4304; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
It's still about the network coverage for me. Where I work I have 4 bars of 2G and 3 bars of 3G on VZW. AT&T is stuck on EDGE here, Sprint is 2G only and T-Mobile is roaming.
44. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Why do you care taco? Your using a 3g phone :P
35. Mr.phone.guy. (Posts: 13; Member since: 25 Sep 2011)
I hope Verizon keeps these plans until August of 2012. That's the time my sprint contract is over. Is Sprint a good value? of course. However, they don't seem to know what direction they want to go pertaining to their 4g plans. I live in Madison, Wi and Sprint only has Two 4g (wimax) towers, Which they wont even recognise exist. When I drive through town, my 4g only last for about 3-4 minutes tops, before it falls back to 3g. With the amount of time I use pandora in my car (which is always) skipping songs is very tedious. Sprint has until August to win me back or I'll switch.
37. Scuba_Steve (Posts: 79; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
What would you guys rather see, lowered prices or a higher allowance?
I love that vzw is doing this, finally I can have a little more faith. Still I'd rather see dropped prices.
The MBB went from 5GB/$60 to 5GB/$50
Imagine a $10 dollar drop on data pricing. That's a $240 savings!
38. torr310 (Posts: 857; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Signing up for a 2-year contract is just insane in the technology world.
50. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
I love my Unlimited OG plan :) I get %20 off because of my job so VZW FTMFW
51. cappy718 (Posts: 26; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
I randomly check FB and look at internet and I am at 2.8gb lately. I've been doing more cuz I'm trying to figure out if this Bionic is going to cause a call to verizon. Plus it keeps deleting aps on me...which causes me to download them again...sigh! Glad I'm grandfathered unlimited! :)
52. fonefan (Posts: 3; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
I would have rather seen the price cut in half for the 2GB rate. Most people don't use anywhere near 2GB.