- All new customers who purchase a 4G smartphone are eligible for the double data plans
- Existing customers who have upgraded their service or purchased a 4G smartphone within the last 14 days will be eligible for the double data plans
- Once a customer has the plan, they keep the plan as long as they are on a 4G smartphone. The limited time promotion applies to how long Verizon will be selling the plan, not how long customers get to use the plans
- The plans are already available for purchase
Verizon doubles the megabyte allowance for newly signed 4G smartphone data plans
1. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
bout time they gave you more for your money instead of just charging you. 30 bux for 2 gigs is insane.
2. MikeG77 (Posts: 379; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
Im wondering how this is going to effect people who have grandfathered 3G/4G data plans? It would be nice to have my 5GB cap increased to 10GB before they start to throttle me down : )
5. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I wonder if you can 'upgrade' to the doubled plan. When they introduced the current 75 MB/$10 plan, I was able to switch from my existing $9.99/25 MB plan and enjoy the extra allowance (for a penny more!).
16. Habib (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
They do not throttle you down. They call it the " network optimization" which will only throttle if a website is congested. And this network optimization does not include 4G data plans and NONE OF THE CAP data.
18. MikeG77 (Posts: 379; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
You may be right but when i had my Incredible in Febuary i went over the 5GB that month and for March and April i noticed a reduction in speed. Same thing has happened to me with my Thunderbolt about 2 months ago i used 8GB of data and i noticed slower speeds for about 3 weeks.
34. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
What the fudge do you guys be doing on these phones?
41. MikeG77 (Posts: 379; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
Lots of youtube and facebook at work but i cut down on my youtube/facebook usage so in never over 5GB anymore. I also switched to only using WiFi at home so its no longer a concern.
42. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
I'm sitting at 8 gigs used so far this month still getting 30+ mbps
47. McLTE (Posts: 747; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I have friends that use Pandora quite a lot at work for music.. they routinely go over the 4-5 gigs of data.
48. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Yea its really easy to go over. I usually download torrents along with Netflix.. YouTube.. Pandora and just reading forums and such. Last month I used like 14 gigs or so. And hot spot abuse with my tablet lol
58. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i stream google music a lot. also like the random youtube video and definately all that flash content on web pages i browse. :)
3. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I have no idea how much data I'll be using, but it only makes sense that if you have a 5-10x faster connection, you can download a lot more in the same amount of time. This also incentivizes the purchase of more expensive 4G phones. A solid business move IMO.
6. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Good for you :P Not all of us had the option to upgrade during the unlimited period.
59. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you know, that was more than 2 seconds for the comeback rule.. but we'll allow it :)
8. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
@roldefol - +1 on smart move by VZW. They have the largest LTE footprint, and now they are actually competitive on pricing their data plan. I wonder what Sprint and AT&T are going to do?
10. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
Sprint has unlimited. Still is unbeaten as far as value goes.
12. Synack (Posts: 672; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Unless you had Verizon prior to the changes. 4G LTE + Unlim. Data = sexZynessss
13. snowgator (Posts: 3385; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
If you are lucky enough to have reception. I borrowed a Sprint phone from a friend of mine while he was on vacation to test out reception in my area. I was sold on Sprint, and my family was on the way to them. The fact I was at 3 - 4 bars of reception outside buildings and dropped to 1 or less, often zero, as soon as I stepped into most structures was really sobering. I live in Central Illinois right by the University, so I am very confused why it is so bad in a huge college town area.
I am happy for you arc12. Now tell them to improve their network so we can join you.
29. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Bah, everyone complains about everyone's service. Its all relative to where you live.
People Joke about Tmobile, but i get 4 bars of 4G HSPA+ in the dead center of the hospital im doing my clinicals at.
I thought I might have to switch carriers because of the big fat thick buildings and all the electronics (hospitals are known to be horrible for cell phones), but I see no reason now since I've tested it around the hospital and get perfect service through out.
39. snowgator (Posts: 3385; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
If you are lucky enough to have T-Mobile reception...
What, me complain???
20. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Only if you have service... The company I work for provides 4G Sprint mobile hotspots for free and I didn't even want one I just pay $30/mo to tether off my Thunderbolt.
I could be wrong but from my experience (I am at meetings with folks who have them pretty often) the service inside of a building is horrid to say the least. They literally all cluster their hotspots by the window lol
54. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
LOL, are you serious bro? Sprint's data speeds are so unbearably slow.
14. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Sure. You get 4000 MB instead of 2000. :)
11. SMB (Posts: 30; Member since: 02 Aug 2010)
I signed up for a 2GB plan back in August. Can I call and get this deal?
15. snowgator (Posts: 3385; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Good!! We are between re-upping at AT&T or moving to Verizon. It is nice to have options. Verizon is the most expensive, so to have a more on their plans is a plus. Throw in the overall best nationwide network, and it will be okay if we are sliding over to Verizon now.
21. Sniggly (Posts: 7285; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Verizon should make this move permanent. 2 gigs scares me as a ceiling, but I would be very comfortable with 4 gigs.
Dammit, if only the RAZR was coming to AT&T.
23. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
It just didn't make sense that they would tier 3G and 4G equally. 2 GB over LTE takes up so much less bandwidth than over EVDO.
36. torr310 (Posts: 575; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
This is an endless road. Once you got 4GB, you will be hoping for 8GB a few months later.
40. snowgator (Posts: 3385; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
If only this pushes AT&T to 4G as well. Doesn't hurt to hope.
24. Jyakotu (Posts: 829; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I wonder if this move will make AT&T increase their data allowance for their 4G devices. At least make the $15 plan 2GB, the $25 5GB, and the $45 should be upped to 10GB (5GB for data + tethering). I love AT&T, despite currently having Sprint, but I think they should allow users more data because, let's be honest, a lot of average users won't utilize Wi-Fi.
27. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Not true....AT&T does have the most Wi-Fi connections of any network....that is why the congestion has dropped...lol.
Plus, they have 15.00/200 MB plan, so I doubt they will offer a similar plan to Verizon, unfortunately.
32. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
AT&T usually copies Verizon's plans. They don't have LTE though so..
26. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Is this permanent? Meaning, if I sign up now, will I be reduced to the regular allowance of data at some point?
61. baboex (Posts: 10; Member since: 10 Oct 2011)
If you sign up for this promotion, you keep it until you make some change to your data features. Ex. Switching from the 2/4 Gb plan to the 5Gb plan AFTER the promotion has ended.
31. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
It's still about the network coverage for me. Where I work I have 4 bars of 2G and 3 bars of 3G on VZW. AT&T is stuck on EDGE here, Sprint is 2G only and T-Mobile is roaming.
44. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Why do you care taco? Your using a 3g phone :P
35. Mr.phone.guy. (Posts: 13; Member since: 25 Sep 2011)
I hope Verizon keeps these plans until August of 2012. That's the time my sprint contract is over. Is Sprint a good value? of course. However, they don't seem to know what direction they want to go pertaining to their 4g plans. I live in Madison, Wi and Sprint only has Two 4g (wimax) towers, Which they wont even recognise exist. When I drive through town, my 4g only last for about 3-4 minutes tops, before it falls back to 3g. With the amount of time I use pandora in my car (which is always) skipping songs is very tedious. Sprint has until August to win me back or I'll switch.
37. Scuba_Steve (Posts: 79; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
What would you guys rather see, lowered prices or a higher allowance?
I love that vzw is doing this, finally I can have a little more faith. Still I'd rather see dropped prices.
The MBB went from 5GB/$60 to 5GB/$50
Imagine a $10 dollar drop on data pricing. That's a $240 savings!
38. torr310 (Posts: 575; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Signing up for a 2-year contract is just insane in the technology world.
50. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
I love my Unlimited OG plan :) I get %20 off because of my job so VZW FTMFW
51. cappy718 (Posts: 25; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
I randomly check FB and look at internet and I am at 2.8gb lately. I've been doing more cuz I'm trying to figure out if this Bionic is going to cause a call to verizon. Plus it keeps deleting aps on me...which causes me to download them again...sigh! Glad I'm grandfathered unlimited! :)
52. fonefan (Posts: 3; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
I would have rather seen the price cut in half for the 2GB rate. Most people don't use anywhere near 2GB.