Verizon cuts prices on new Droids: Droid MAXX down to $199, Ultra to $99 and Mini to $49
0. phoneArena 17 Oct 2013, 09:51 posted on
Motorola’s new Droid phones on Verizon have received warm reception as they support all the neat features of the Moto X like always-on voice command listener…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. roldefol (Posts: 3007; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Androids have never had much resale value.
27. sprockkets (Posts: 1261; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Last time I checked the Galaxy series garnered more money than the iphones of the same generation on ebay.
Iphone 4 $153, my old HTC Sensation is $122.
3. roldefol (Posts: 3007; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I've been saying all along that the DROID line (and the Moto X) was overpriced. Thankfully I picked my Maxx up at Amazon pricing.
4. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2429; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Wow. After less than 2 months. Must not being doing too well. Can't say I'm surprised.
6. roldefol (Posts: 3007; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I'm enjoying my Maxx. It's a good well rounded device. I don't think it's worth $300 on contract though, and I refused to pay that much. Motorola is not Apple, so they can't go charging Apple prices.
8. Penny (Posts: 1198; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Yeah the $300 price tag kept us away as well, especially considering the Maxx, Ultra, and Moto X are all so similar.
33. sprockkets (Posts: 1261; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Guess what apple charges for a 32GB iphone.
It's the same price since the Maxx has 32GB.
10. Razrman (Posts: 68; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Hopefully the next line of Motorola phones are price adequately.
11. roldefol (Posts: 3007; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I think this pricing adjustment should carry the brand through the holiday season, at least at Verizon. The Moto X could use a $50 price cut too.
17. SupermanayrB (Posts: 184; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Hopefully the next line of Moto's have a better camera. Either way I'm still Motorola supporter.
12. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3774; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Apple has the quality and support to back the pricing of their models. Motorola unfortunately does not. Their phones are built better than something from Samsung because of that Kevlar backing they use over cheap plastic, but they do not touch apple on quality.
These are prices that the phone should have been in the first place.
28. sprockkets (Posts: 1261; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Other than the fact that the Maxx was the third best seller at Verizon.
Death to stupid armchair analysts.
30. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
This is nothing more than your opinion...
5. djcody (Posts: 45; Member since: 17 Apr 2013)
Any one maybe know if there any way to completely unlock this phone, mean use on T-Mobile LTE network science it has band 4 ??
14. mcshank (Posts: 47; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
Verizon phones to be used On Tmo is like trying to get Mxyzptlk to bad mouth apple, I just wont happen.
15. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8717; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You can use an unlocked 5S on T-Mobile with LTE...
35. N.Reynolds (Posts: 257; Member since: 15 Feb 2011)
No, the Verizon 5S comes factory unlocked and the 5S carries both CDMA and GSM bands. So yes a Verizon 5S can work on T - Mobile Smurf you are 100% correct.
23. raichur0xx0rz (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Verizon has those bands locked currently, as they are for Verizon's AWS. Theoretically, once they push out an OTA to activate AWS compatibility, we may be able to see T-Mobile LTE on it.
As of right now, I am only getting HSPA+ on my Droid Maxx on T-Mobile. Seeing about 10mbps, which is on par with what I get on Verizon LTE here.
29. djcody (Posts: 45; Member since: 17 Apr 2013)
Right now i have Nexus4 with enabled LTE 20-35 down 6-15up
but I like to have that giant battery of maxx :)
7. Penny (Posts: 1198; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Damn, paid $200 for my dad's Moto X almost exactly 2 weeks go. Was thinking about switching him to an iPhone (more usable for somebody like him, so stop arguing). Maybe Maxx would be better now that it is a viable option...
9. roldefol (Posts: 3007; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
If the Maxx had a 1080 screen it would be perfect, but you can't have everything. It's close to stock, straightforward, has good audio, call quality and strong reception. If you don't need the sharpest screen or the fastest processor on the planet, it's a good pick.
18. SupermanayrB (Posts: 184; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
I compared the MAXX screen to my S4 & Optimus G Pro. You can't see the difference, contrary to what iPhonearena's review said.
24. roldefol (Posts: 3007; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I compared it to the G2, and the Maxx had some visible pixelation on small text. It's not distracting to me though, and at least it's an S-stripe (not PenTile) array.
26. SupermanayrB (Posts: 184; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Yea, the G2 has a real nice display. I compared its to the S4 & it blows it away. I'm trying to win a G2. Hopefully I can get it before the contest ends.
16. SupermanayrB (Posts: 184; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Awwwwwwwww YEAH! Unless Moto's coming out with something new within the next few month, I'm about to finally get my MAXX.
20. Scott93274 (Posts: 1188; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
Exciting! I know the Maxx is not the fastest phone on the market and missing some of the bells and whistles other phones offer, but it's very well rounded and the massive battery is the selling point for me! I'm so excited the price dropped to $199. Looks like I'm getting it in November.
22. Penny (Posts: 1198; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Don't let the specs deceive you. It may not be the fastest in terms of pure horsepower and performance, but it's real-world performance is extremely smooth and arguably better than many of it's more powerful (and bloated) peers.
25. roldefol (Posts: 3007; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That was what pushed me over the edge. The G2 has a great screen and camera, but the Maxx (and Ultra, Mini, and Moto X) has a much cleaner interface. Samsung and LG need those superpowered quad cores just to keep up with their own gimmicky skins.
21. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Wow Verizon, almost makes me actually want to switch to you, good job!
31. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
I love my Droid Ultra so anyone that wants any of the new Droids should jump on this while it lasts!
32. harry_crumb (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Oct 2013)
did anyone notice the full retail on the maxx is now 499! is this a glitch? ultra 449 and mini 399. maxx was 699 full retail when first released and then dropped to 649 but 499 is a steal!
34. Penny (Posts: 1198; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Hmm, those are unusually sudden and unusually large price drops. I might expect something like this if they were preparing to release a new device, causing them to have to drop the prices for their current line. Considering that these devices were released just a couple months ago though, I don't know...
36. johnriii (Posts: 228; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
i'll take a guess that the price drops are due to an oversaturation of the market, particulary verizon's. they have had 6 new phones drop on their networks since the GS4 came out. even though they have the most subscribers nationwide, there's only so much money to go around. this is a brilliant marketing ploy to pull even more people from other carriers.