Verizon GALAXY Nexus release date and price now official!
*This news has been updated*
Well, faster than you can say Samsung Galaxy Nexus for Verizon three times in a row, Big Red finally came out to announce the exciting news! With that people, we can all rest easy, as the long time coming Ice Cream Sandwich filled smartphone WILL be arriving tomorrow, December 15th, for the 2-year contract price of $299.99. Hit up the press release below for all the juicy details!
This is actually the phone that U.S. users have been waiting for so long, as it is a real powerhouse due to the high-end nature of the hardware, and the awesome new software that's found with it. And of course, since this is a new smartphone for Verizon, it'll understandably sport an LTE radio for unrivaled data speeds.
But whatever we say about the specs of this handset won't be enough, as it offers more and more goodies that make it seem better and better. So, we'd rather recommend that you simply hit up the press release below for all the juicy details, or check out our Galaxy Nexus Review, based on the international model. Oh, and of course, stay tuned for our Verizon Galaxy Nexus Review, which will come very, very soon!
GALAXY™ NEXUS™ BY SAMSUNG NOW AVAILABLE ON THE VERIZON WIRELESS 4G LTE NETWORK
First Smartphone to Combine Android™ 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and the Power of America’s Fastest, Most Reliable 4G Network
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless, Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) and Google™ announced Galaxy™ Nexus™ is available starting today in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
Customers can browse the Web, stream music and more at blazing speeds using the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network. Galaxy Nexus customers can enjoy access to the 4G LTE network in 190 markets covering over 200 million people across the United States, and fly through the Web with fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps within the 4G LTE Mobile Broadband coverage area.
Galaxy Nexus runs Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, which brings an entirely new look and feel to Android. Galaxy Nexus offers customers a redesigned user experience with improved multi-tasking, notifications, Near Field Communications (NFC) sharing with Android Beam™ and a full Web-browsing experience. The lock screen, home screen, phone app and everything in between have been rethought and redesigned to make Android simple, beautiful and useful. Galaxy Nexus also features an ultra-thin 9.47mm design with a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ Contour Display to watch movies, view pictures and play games that come to life in 720p (1280x720) resolution.
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) features
- Redesigned user interface – software navigation buttons, a first for Android smartphones, and a dedicated recent apps button to make multi-tasking easy
- Face Unlock – use state-of-the-art facial recognition to unlock Galaxy Nexus
- Android Beam™ – quickly share Web pages, apps, contacts and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping two compatible phones together
- Redesigned Camera – introduces panorama mode, 1080p video capture, zero-shutter lag for instant photo capturing, and effects such as silly faces and background replacement
- People Application – browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and check their latest status updates from Google+ and other social networks
- Cloud Services – keep email, contacts, photos, music, browser bookmarks and other data synced to the cloud, available across multiple devices so customers never lose important data
- Google Music – upload up to 20,000 songs to the cloud, discover and buy new music from Android Market™, and stream it instantly on Galaxy Nexus and from the Web for free
- Google+ – Create a Google+ account right from the phone and check status updates, manage circles, quickly share updates and photos, video chat with up to ten friends with Mobile Hangouts, and chat with groups of friends with Google+ Messenger
- Support for Google Mobile™ Services – Gmail™, Google Maps™ with 3D maps and free turn-by-turn navigation, Google Earth™, Movie Studio, YouTube, syncing with Google Calendar™, a redesigned Google+ app and access to more than 300,000 apps, millions of eBooks, thousands of movies to rent, and millions of songs available to download from Android Market
- Dual-core 1.2 GHz application processor and HTML5 Web browser – optimized dual-core processing with Android 4.0 combined with lightning fast 4G LTE connectivity for fast downloading of graphics, applications processing and Web browsing
- Mobile Hotspot capability – share 4G LTE or 3G connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
- 5-megapixel rear-facing camera with zero-shutter lag for instant photo capturing, autofocus and LED flash with full 1080p recording
- Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chat
- Textured soft-touch back cover – enhances the ergonomic feel and makes the phone slip-resistant
- Bluetooth® 3.0 technology – support for headset, hands-free, stereo, phonebook access, human interface device (HID) and object push for vCard and vCalendar
- 1 GB RAM and 32 GB on-board memory (actual formatted capacity will be less)
Pricing and data packages:
- Galaxy Nexus is available now in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- Customers that purchase a Galaxy Nexus by Samsung will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
Customers can visit www.verizonwireless.com/galaxynexus for more information on the Galaxy Nexus. For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
1. DMB232828 (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
So how does that mean 100% it WON'T launch tomorrow? A release could occurr after it goes on sale tomorrow. I m still holding out that it launches tomorrow.
32. Synack (Posts: 666; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
I just called my local Verizon store in Houston. Yes, a full blown store. Asked what time they open tomorrow, 9am CST and asked if they will be selling the Nexus tomorrow and the answer was a FLAT OUT "YES".
The wait is almost over everyone.
42. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
it is here folks !!!! ..... wow !!!!!
59. bbstorm2435 (Posts: 37; Member since: 21 Oct 2009)
I like how PhoneArena said that it means it wouldn't come out tomorrow, then hours later they change it to it is indeed coming out tomorrow. I guess they'll learn not to be so jumpy when it comes to release dates.
2. MalakiMills (Posts: 256; Member since: 15 Jun 2010)
Actually the statement says they will make a press release when the phone is available, not before it's released. It very well could be released tomorrow and they could send out the press release after, to say it is ready for purchase.
68. Sniggly (Posts: 7113; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I know you're probably being sarcastic, but the word is true, it is launching tomorrow, and also at best buy. :)
4. Goldeneye (Posts: 354; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
This is the first official statement from VZW if is not released this year then all the whining would be justified.
37. bossmt_2 (Posts: 435; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
BS, the phone's been released for a month now at this point. Only known issue with the DEVICE (not Verizon's Network) was the volume issue which had to do with Edge. Verizon sucks. That's all. They're getting as much time before Christmas that they can with their bloated phones.
54. Goldeneye (Posts: 354; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
I can't recall VZW announcing it and giving a date, sure It's been ready for a while (according to you) I'm not talking about the device been ready or not, just about being launched
6. BarneyDroid (Posts: 35; Member since: 01 Sep 2011)
The way I see it, they must be implementing whatever "software fix" currently and will release them when they are all updated.
9. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
The thing is On stock at best buy, People actually bought it and seems fully baked. I think they are just trying to screw it up
7. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
This is stupid, they are trying to delay a product that's ready to be launched and on stock in the hopes of getting more people hooked into other devices(seems to be working) and pissing people off. simple VERIZON SHOULD NOT LAUNCH ANY OTHER NEXUS EVER and I hope Google sees that.
10. vantenkiest (Posts: 308; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)
as much of a fan of verizons...... service... I am really disatisified at the crap they have been pulling on the nexus.. its supposed to be a pure google experiance. and its taken so long to get this out its going to be just another ics device by the time it does release..
13. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Delays Killed The Bionic wont they learn that delays can kill the Nexus Too?, The UK is already selling it it would probably on T-mobile and best buy already If I where at Google Ill have already done the FU and started selling and promoting the GSM version
18. c.hack (Posts: 514; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Welcome to the world of Android. Samsung and Verizon need time to install all of the Verizon crapware on the ROM, disable Google wallet and make it unstable. As soon as it comes out, the wait for the patches to make the phone stable and usable will begin.
22. sgogeta4 (Posts: 392; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
ROFL angry much? Because it's clouding your logic.
65. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Im sorry. Ive being on android for quite some time and im happy its just that a nice device like shis should have being out already
8. Kmack (Posts: 26; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
I say its coming tomoro but they're still too chicken sh*t to say a specific date after what happened with Bionic. Its like they don't want to be wrong and are tip-toe'ing until they're 150% sure the device is ready.
11. torr310 (Posts: 391; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
it gets old to receive news about Verizon' Nexus.
that could also be a hint there might be issues bihind it. I will not jump in when it's released untill at least a month latet.
12. THE_RAY (Posts: 26; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Where is the official statement. Is it on the website somewhere. The link doesn't work on here.....
14. mozes316 (Posts: 142; Member since: 30 Sep 2011)
I don't underrstand how this means anything... I work for an indirect Verizon retailor and we've been told the 15th and we still do not have an email saying otherwise.
15. Allday28 (Posts: 274; Member since: 19 Nov 2010)
I have been hearing that corporate stores are contacting employees that it will be released tomorrow..
20. Allday28 (Posts: 274; Member since: 19 Nov 2010)
Played with one on sunday at my local bestbuy.. They have 16 in stock and are holding one for me!!
19. c.hack (Posts: 514; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Who cares. I just want the Droid 5 or Razr 4 with the octo core 5G processors. Still buggy and laggy but at least they will have great specs.
53. cfprelude (Posts: 118; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Might as well get this now and im sure those will be more like 18 months out... incorrect about the laggy part though :-)
21. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 259; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
well if its this calendar year then who cares... its in the next few weeks.
23. Bethistopheles (Posts: 25; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
Which day does double data end? Mark that date on the calendar as the day this phone becomes available for purchase...
25. LCpl_vinny (Posts: 8; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
My Best Buy keeps saying tomorrow, I just got back from there finishing my Christmas shopping and that's what the Store manager told me after I asked an employee who went to fetch him because he wasn't sure.
It would be nice if Verizon would have it release tomorrow so I could use the $100 coupon I got but if not and Best Buy sells it to me tomorrow I'll get it.
26. creektrails (Posts: 9; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
What state r u in? I havent gotten a flyer but my bro inlaw got a $50.00 one. Ive been with vzn 7 years.
28. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I hope Google gives Verizon the stiff-arm after this like Apple did for so many years. Verizon may have the best network (subjective by area), but they try to act like the stuck-up kid at recess in grade school who brought his own football, and makes everyone follow his rules to play with him
31. racr79 (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Apr 2010)
I just came from a Verizon store here in new Orleans and when the guy came and ask if I needed help I told him YES I DO GO IN THE BACK AND GIVE A SAMSUNG NEXUS, he told me I can't do that but if you come tomorrow I can self you one. So as I was going out of the store I went back and ask him it is nexus not the white razr or something else. He said yes it is the Samsung nexus . So that means here in new Orleans we are going to have it tomorrow
33. vzwincred (Posts: 29; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
I see them waiting until the $100 promo goes away. im in no rush. ill wait for my upgrade discount
34. AgnesDay (Posts: 8; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has long been the case that phones that showed up on other carriers never showed up on VZW because the phones did not meet VZW's standards of quality, did not perform well, or for some other legitimate reason. And part of this decision process involves extensive QA testing, which means if the phone is approved, it shows up on VZW later than on other carriers. In short, VZW is not d**king around with you; they are trying to assure that the phone is thoroughly debugged and compatible with their network. We've already seen bug fixes for the GN for problems experienced on other carriers which VZW customers were spared. As annoying as this delay is, I don't see any nefarious intent on the part of VZW.
71. Motatrola (Posts: 33; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Thumbs up for sticking up for Verizon, but if that's the case, don't you think it would've been nice for Verizon to communicate to the public for such a delay?
35. warlockz (Posts: 156; Member since: 10 Oct 2011)
Like I have been saying for the longest the phone will comeout the week of dec 12 and long behold I called two vwz stores in nyc and the phone is going on sale tomorrow! Still I don't know what the big secret was vzw and their stuck up ways. So call up verizon official stores hit the sales option on the phone and ask the agent who picks up to confirm what I'm saying.
36. whiteteeth (Posts: 6; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Weird. Employees at 2 of the 3 Verizon stores in my town (Gainesville, FL) tell me the phone is in stock and will definitely go on sale tomorrow, price yet to be disclosed. The third store says they are still awaiting the official word from Verizon. You guys hear anything from your local stores?
38. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
lol at all those saying its not going to be released tomorrow
45. Adianshadows (Posts: 66; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
LOL @ you sir... yet i was one that lawl'ed at the others too... heres for wishful thinkin!
39. Jerch (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Anyone have any idea if the double data-limit promotion will apply to the Nexus?
41. shink106 (Posts: 2; Member since: 04 Oct 2011)
I read that it is going to go on through holidays!
but who knows.. it's verizon.................
46. Adianshadows (Posts: 66; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
As long as this phone releases before the end of the year it would count since it's a 4G phone!
my credentials: Verizon Rep... haha
60. sgogeta4 (Posts: 392; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
It's the same cost as every other high end Android phone...
47. ayephoner (Posts: 837; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
I'm going to try to leave work for an hour or so to pick it up AT 9 EST!!!
76. ayephoner (Posts: 837; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
its in my hands!!! back at work.
my company got me a $50 discount on the phone (and a $10 discount on the gps car mount). $280 total.
so excited about this phone!!!
48. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
There's one on hold for me for tomorrow... Yessssssssss
50. ap1989 (Posts: 145; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im gettin it