Value for money: Apple iPhone 5c pricing stacked up against the competition (not pretty)
0. phoneArena 12 Sep 2013, 03:19 posted on
The basic 16 GB iPhone 5c will sell for $99 on a two-year contract, and the whopping $549 unsubsidized. A quick look at both subsidized and unsubsidized prices of current Android and Windows Phone handsets is enough to gauge why Apple's shares slipped more than 5% yesterday. Let's see what handsets you can get at, above, or below the iPhone 5c price tag...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
50. Trololol (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
low quality? lol
get a life bro
btw i'm not an apple fan, i have both android and ios, s4 and i5
49. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1717; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I have to agree that iOS is smooth with a lesser of the spec when comparing to latest android flagships. However, iOS doesn't support multitasking which is why it doesn't need a high end spec to run smoothly. Let's wait until iOS 7 comes out and we can do more of comparison. Since Apple finally gave in to copy what Androids can do... oh wait they have been doing that all along
51. Trololol (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
yes i know the diffrence
so ios is ios and android is android
but ios have a better optimization, we talk about optimized here not spec
maybe if android get optimized it will run smooth even on dual core, but remember how many phone use android?
73. tedkord (Posts: 6192; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The iPhone has to push less than 1/3 the pixels of the flagship Android phones. Of course it's smooth. A 1080p screen has over 2 million pixels. The iPhone has 615 thousand.
Add in that Android also dynamically resizes all content to the screen size and resolution used, while the iPhone requires all apps to be coded to it's screen size.
Android is more like a PC in your hand. The IPhone is more of a specialized app launcher.
78. Trololol (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
how about gfx benchmark? i5s get 56fps on offscreen which mean that it get 2 million pixels to rendered.
android app is just upscaled, correct me if im wrong, coz game like RR3 on s4 looks blurry.
but i agree that android is more like PC :)
117. tedkord (Posts: 6192; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
That's just a GPU bench. It doesn't mean anything to smoothness on the phone, just how many fps it can output to an external screen. When doing anything on the phone, all it has to render is 640p, leaving overhead.
123. Trololol (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
so what will u choose, real world performance or having spec beast but unoptimized?
android is just like mobile PC, which it depens on spec, i mean playing nova 3 on low android device is unplayable even it has lower resolution but not on iphone 4s. just correct me if i wrong. is that true that android games is just upscaled?
just asking coz both ios and android has pros and cons
95. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1679; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
because iOS is not a true OS. It's a glorified app launcher that has no real multi-tasking. If Android dumbed down their OS to be like Apples it would be so fast it would blow your socks off.
103. Trololol (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
how about android is ios and ios is android?
u must be prefer ios right?
and if ios run on android's spec like s800 or quad core A15, how fast is it?
android run on ios spec, can it really handle that multitasking? nope
so, ios is ios and android is android
112. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1679; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Now you're just talking in circles. YES iOS can run smooth with lower specs but WHY pay that outrageous price when you are getting boned for lower tech?
124. Trololol (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
maybe it can handle heavy games smoothly, yes iphone has tiny screen, but it just okay for me, if u want big screen, they have ipad.
i know that android is better in spec, but how well they run in real world performance?
btw, im not fanboy, i just wonder why ppl still compare android and ios while they have different way to handle their os, and if u don't like just don't buy it or have it, simple, right?
38. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
i am not a Apple fan, but those old-specs are so powerful that every game and application runs flawlessly.
43. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1563; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
If they are powerful then there would be no need for other phones to use the latest specs.
45. Trololol (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
its just marketing strategy
why don't make better performance per core and efficiency rather than make more and more and more core?
and how about optimization?
with optimazation, dual core is just enough
75. tedkord (Posts: 6192; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Dual core is enough for what the iPhone does. A 400mhz Celeron processor and 256mb of ram is enough to play pong, too.
80. Trololol (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
tell me why android needs more than 4 cores?
while moto x has 2 for multitasking?
so ipad has 4 cores? no it has only 2 and can run games with higher res.
or we can say android for better multitasking and ios for better optimization.
63. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Old school tech? The A6 in the year old iphone 5 scores 715 on Geekbench for single core performance at 1.3ghz.
The 2.3ghz Snapdragon 800 in the Xperia Z Ultra only manages 800 in single core performance despite a 1ghz clock speed advantage.
111. HalaMadrid (Posts: 92; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
4 inch phones are outdated and it has no features compared to Samsung
119. SonyCraperiaSucks (banned) (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
Totally agree +100000000000
7. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
in here iphone 5s will be 800-900 dollars
s4 is 610 and g2 is 620
so i dont see any value for money in iphone 5s
8. Retro-touch (Posts: 268; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
At the moment the Nexus 4 is the best value for money at $249, surprised its not included in the list by PhoneArena
39. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Nexus 4 is $249 only in US.. in my country it comes with $500 + price tag
92. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
In USD, it probably will be like $600 or so.....
9. taikucing (unregistered)
C means Crap
12. twens (Posts: 770; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
how can you say the s3 camera is worse? this phonearena guys are just plain idiots. the s3 takes better photos than the 4s and even the iphone5.
13. Alex123 (Posts: 240; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
iphone 5C falls behind any of those phone. Funny Apple. Battery life is poor, Screen resolution is behind the others (the phone that it compares with), cheap plastic body. If Apple really wants to sell this phone, i think the price should be around US$ 300. Apple always give a highest value its product. haha....
14. amiaq (Posts: 503; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
In the next 12 months either you are fan boys or extremely ignorant if you still go with the iphone.
15. _god_ (banned) (Posts: 47; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Take that Xperia Z off the list and replace it with the Xperia ZL !
I always liked the ZL over the Z
The ZL's display is better calibrated , to my eyes looks better than the Z
It comes with a dedicated shutter button
Cheaper than Xperia Z
Nice , Slim bezel , smaller device footprint , nicer to hold !
Xperia Z is a fingerprint magnet , ZL is not !
I heard that the Z's speaker wasn't that good , and ZL's speaker is slightly better .
Also , this is personal but , I don't need those waterproof stuff and Xperia Z will always get a black face no matter what colour you pick , while in the white ZL you get a white face . One of the reasonwhy i like my white Galaxy s2 over the black one .
Hmm , dont know much about the P6 but i think the ZL is defitnately better than the One mini and the fugly Galaxy s3
105. _god_ (banned) (Posts: 47; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Why ? And why you pick it over the ZL ?
110. HalaMadrid (Posts: 92; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Worst display,crappy camera, battery life is bad,feeble loudspeaker, has so much Wi-Fi issues,lags and produces so much heat.
I picked it over ZL because of water resistance and better reviews
122. _god_ (banned) (Posts: 47; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
I was seriously considering a ZL to replace my Galaxy S3 lol .
The xperia Z looks a little like the Galaxy s2 , hate the new crapsung design
All the thing Sony advertised like Superior Auto , clear Audio+ and stamina mode not working for you ?
I like the screen of the Xperia Z series , it looks natural . I hate took a photo and edit it on the phone using the build in photo editor thinking it looks perfect post it to flickr , instagram and then only later to find out colour wasnt quite right lol .
But thanks , I will be more aware of the Z/ZL problems
126. HalaMadrid (Posts: 92; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
I tried all of them but it gave me just little bit of improvements (still not good for me)
Yeah but it's not saturated and looks very bad in sunlight
17. SonyPS4 (Posts: 281; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Get Iphone 4s than this if you want IOS. Dont let them fool you
24. robocopvn (Posts: 275; Member since: 10 Mar 2010)
haha normally when the new Iphone5S released, you will get the Iphone5 with $99 on contract, not this cheap 5C haha. Wanna play some bad trick Apple ? watch your stock price
59. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Dude the 5c is the same as the 5 with a colorful case. Not a trick.
27. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
What was the reason for not including the Nexus 4?
31. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3295; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes, I'll take any of the mobiles shown in the pics. over 5C or there are also more alternatives with new flagships out there.
Apple's new innovation that Cheap is actually Costly. :D
32. THE.DARK.KNIGHT (banned) (Posts: 269; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
WHF phonearena? Galaxy s3 was one of the best (if not the best) android camera phones in 2012!
36. ryq24 (Posts: 574; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Apple will continue to lose market share with those price.
37. ddeath (Posts: 166; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
Seriously at this price, they should just continue to release iPhone 5 in different colours instead. That would be more appealing! For example like the HTC One in red. But now, we get this plastic body that cost as much as the old iPhone 5. Man...
76. tedkord (Posts: 6192; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
But that would net them less profit. This is a ploy to sell people last years phone with lower cost materials.
41. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That "value for the money" equation REALLY looks bad against the LG G2, also brand new this month. They're both plastic, both $200 contract for 32 GB, but the G2 gives you a new 13 MP OIS camera and a 60% bigger screen. Beyond the usual arguments of resale value and "it's an iPhone", how do you justify that?
47. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
why is everyone whining about iphone 5c vs other handsets? PA never said that this phone was better... all they are asking us is which popular android phone would we choose that costs much less than the iphone 5c.
60. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Because people get their feelings hurt over the phones they like. And if you don't agree they have to argue until you're convinced or you are stupid. This is the internet bro.
53. Tuxedo (Posts: 193; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
LG Optimus G Pro is one of the best value of 2013, if not The Best.
54. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
61. _PHug_ (Posts: 405; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Price does not matter to Apple fans.
They have been overpaying for mediocre products for years.
Slap a picture of an apple on the back of anything and it sells.
70. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Eh, the pricing was fair a few years back. After they fixed the death-grip antenna, the iPhone 4 was a brilliant device with an unbeaten screen and great camera. Everything since has been grossly overpriced, especially the 32 GB and 64 GB versions.
77. tedkord (Posts: 6192; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The iPhone 4 was also about the peak of iPhone exterior design. Though I do like the new gray model of the 5s.
85. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The iPhone 5 is still a sweet design, incredibly light and thin. But the pricing was all wrong. No comparable (32 GB) phone can get away with a full price of $750/$300 contract. You pay at least a $100 premium "because it's the iPhone".
65. amilcarmz86 (Posts: 95; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
This page is a joke.... Iphonearena.com
71. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Did you even read the article? They're saying the 5c is a waste of money!
74. amilcarmz86 (Posts: 95; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
did you read the article? they are saying that each of this phones have disadvantages in front of the iphone 5c. Take a look again.