User Agent Profile shows Samsung Galaxy S III for Verizon with Qualcomm S4 on board?
0. phoneArena 02 May 2012, 00:27 posted on
Recent speculation that the U.S. version of the Samsung Galaxy S III would replace the quad-core Exynos processor with the dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 has been confirmed by a User Agent Profile showing a Verizon variant of the phone with the S4 under the hood...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. CommentBoxEnforcer (Posts: 99; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
Dont do it sammy..not verizon agian
13. OHNOOOOOOO (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 May 2012)
WTF??? I just finished watching the review video of the one x with this chip and I don't know if its HTC implementation or the weakness of the soc but the fluidity of the web browsing (w/flash) was anything but smooth especially when zooming in and out. I was hoping that the executive was just some id1ot who doesn't know crap but...
Can we honestly mean mugg qualcomm for not sharing lte implamentation tech with everyone else??? I mean we could've all been getting some good exynos and lte RIGHT NOW!!!
29. Fallout09 (Posts: 421; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Its not the chip.... Issue with the way the phone resizes text.
46. Commentator (Posts: 3000; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Watch Engadget's review of the One X with the S4. The web browsing is buttery smooth.
33. dcgore (Posts: 212; Member since: 24 Feb 2012)
I feel it's going to be the S4 for the Verizon LTE and the exynos LTE for at&t. I'm saying this because Rogers in canada has the same LTE bands as at&t, thus devices like the rogers version of the ipad LTE works on at&t but not on Verizon.
It seems to me the At&t LTE bands will be the international ones meaning one can still import a phone from other markets and will work on the network. Case in point, the Rogers version of the HTC One X being compatible with At&t's LTE bands.
2. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Gonna be a lot of disappointed Sammy fans out there. HTC, Moto and others just got a second chance.
14. OHNOOOOOOO (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I just can't wait for exynos and .... yeah exynos to work with lte and just shoot this crappy crapdragon out of the pic. Well I guess there's TI omap 5 series.
30. nastynaps (Posts: 93; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I thought I would feel bad about picking up the razr with the announcement of the S3 but now I don't mind my decision at all. I wonder if sammy will go down the road of moto and come out with a "maxx" version featuring the exynos and lte when the technology becomes available.
3. Commentator (Posts: 3000; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
At least Verizon is finally confirmed to get a current-generation smartphone. I guess there was the Droid Incredible LTE too...
4. JGuinan007 (Posts: 659; Member since: 19 May 2011)
NO!!!!! Not again! Does this mean AT&T SGS3 4g LTE will not have Exynos as well? Why Sammy? Why? Say it aint so! SAMMY!!! WHY???!!!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!
15. hung2900 (Posts: 887; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Korean ver has LTE radio, so the reason here is the f*cking s*cking monopoly power in LTE radio chip of Qualcomm! That's why I hate Qualcomm!
19. TakeTHIS (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 May 2012)
F-ing qualcomm- why can't they just share tech or licence their tech instead they have to be a bunch greedy SOB. Not because of that... well here we are with that POS S4
22. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
It's not Qualcomm's fault that Exynos doesn't support U.S. LTE.
26. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
it does support Lte.. that's the thing
also the model number is odd
42. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
The model number is same way VW been doing it for yes. It does not support US LTE. Korean LTE is different.
47. Commentator (Posts: 3000; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Why would Qualcomm share their technology when they stand to make billions more dollars by not? Use your head, Qualcomm's not going to shift its business model to pander to the whims of the less than 1% of the world population who even knows the difference between a Qualcomm chip and a Samsung one. Understand: we are the loud MINORITY.
5. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
i don't give a crap about the processor whether it's dual, quadruple or 1,00 cores. Give it a better screen, camera and battery. The galaxy nexus' camera & battery were pretty crappy, and the pentile display could be better.
6. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
If the US is getting Qualcomm S4 chip then the whole world should get Qualcomm S4 chip. This way it'll be fair to everyone there won't be any regret and no fragmentation.
31. nastynaps (Posts: 93; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Why? The problem is called Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile ad AT&T, why should the rest of the world suffer for our stupid phone companies? I would buy a 3G S3 with a exynos in all likelihood but Verizon has chosen not to go that way so I'm sticking with my razr.
8. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
well, that's US. You want faster data speeds than faster processors. something's gotta give. get the international version if you want that exynos goodness.
9. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I actually read that S4 is faster than tegra 3 which is quad core. I really don't mind it having an S4 as long as its at least as good as the Exynos.
10. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5688; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the Exynos Quad is in a whole different league than the current Tegra III.
44. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
According to antutu it is not that much better. Maybe around the 12k range and the Tegra for the one X is around 11k so that is not much of a different.
49. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5688; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i wouldn't really base a whole lot off of that because that very well may have been a pre-production unit.
52. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
wait until there is an official release device. With the SGS2 samsung had a whole series of exynos leaks that showed it barely keeping up with the S3, but when It launched it completely obliterated the playing field. I dont know if its late optimization or if sammy likes messing with our heads, but I wouldnt pass judgement on it until we get ahold of a production unit. They are promising DOUBLE the power of the current exynos 4210.. which would put it well out of arms reach of the S4 and T3.
11. Owlet (Posts: 447; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Oh, come on!!! This is a new exciting phone coming out. I'll be tickled if Verizon really gets it. If it's a tad slower in real life than in other countries, is it really such a heartbreak? We get a new toy, COME ON! And it's on a fast 4G. Who wants a nice phone that is slowed down by slow data speed? Let's be happy, people! SIII is coming!
17. TakeTHIS (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 May 2012)
FU Owlet FU!!! :D JK but NO this is a disappointment since korea is getting exynos and lte. It just feels like a water down version of a super phone. Also I have a very high expectation for SGS3 since SGS2 was such a beast but with SGS3 using the S4 it, seems more like "an incremental upgrade" rather than the next gen super phone to succeed the SGS2.
16. wendygarett (unregistered)
lets hope at&t and other keep exynos...
18. TakeTHIS (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 May 2012)
what??? I thought it was established that exynos = NO lte and US carriers won't have any of this
21. KR_Maintanker (Posts: 5; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Korean Carriers such as SKT and KT use WCDMA, not Qualcomm's CDMA and Sammy's own new radio chip is knowned to support only 3G WCDMA(not CDMA) and 4G LTE Simultaneously. So, although verizon will use S4, non CDMA Carrier can use Exynos QUAD and Sammy's own radio chip.
23. Forsaken77 (Posts: 552; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
I thought Samsung was working on a Exynos chip that does lte? AT&T will hopefully update their stock if Sammy comes out with that newer chip. Without that Exynos processor, it's like a GS2.5.
32. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
There is no reason the GSM version wont be pentaband, which means Tmobile and ATT capable. They did it with the Nexus, they can do it with the SGS3.
The good thing about VZW is you get the best coverage. The bad thing about VZW is there is concessions with the phones you must make.
24. Mannequinsdenial (Posts: 15; Member since: 02 May 2012)
This is the absolute WORST news. Do you know how long I've been waiting to get a phone that is as smooth as the galaxy s2 but on verizon and w/ LTE?? I thought the Galaxy Nexus was going to be at LEAST as good as the gs2, but it still had stutter and lag... esp in the browser. NOOOOOOO All I want is exynos and LTE!! is it really that hard verizon???
34. BenCjamin (Posts: 80; Member since: 13 May 2011)
Yes, Verizon sucks go with At&t so you can actually get a real phone not a watered down version. nuff said.
56. Mannequinsdenial (Posts: 15; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I would go with At&t in a hearbeat if they had decent coverage in Omaha. AAnnd i'm grandfathered into verizon's unlimited and that's worth a lot to me.
36. big-slick (Posts: 14; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
im just as pissed as you are. f**kKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
25. Mube1 (Posts: 153; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
But asian will get exnos chip in s3 like s2 in previous year
27. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
hold your horses. the model number is off.
both the Samsung galaxy1 fascinate and the galaxy1 charge were even model numbers. the Google nexus was on a 5. more than likely the galaxy 3 will be an even number like the galaxy 1. that could easily be a nexus refresh or the sgs2+ we heard about before.
50. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5688; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it's a long shot but i guess you could be right. o:
55. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
So Remix, just to scratch it - if it turns out that SGS III comes out with the Pro version of the dual core Krait - will you buy it?
I'm just beyond belief how everyone here are going apesh!it about S4 in this phone, and no one actually sees the benefits in the likely possibility of it actually being the Pro version.
And i'd bet my phone(:p) on that chip being just in a whole next league compared to whatever A5 derivate that might come with iphone 5.
28nm Krait+Adreno 320 just kills any A9+54xx GPU
28. NowItsAParty (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I don't know why everyone is getting all crazy. I will get the unlocked GSM Quad version and use it on AT&T. I use wifi @ work & home, HSPA+ / HSDPA works just fine for me when I'm out. I don't care about LTE, Really! I want the phone the rest of the world will get, so that's what I'm getting! LOL
37. BenCjamin (Posts: 80; Member since: 13 May 2011)
Amen to that. I will get the international version in a heartbeat if it means the new exynos processor. The processor is one of the biggest things to me that makes or breaks the phone. If you polish a turd it's still a turd.
39. big-slick (Posts: 14; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
will the international variant work on Verizon?
40. WirelessCon (Posts: 309; Member since: 11 May 2010)
big-slick, no, the international version will be a GSM radio, not CDMA.
53. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
thats why I'm praying they make the international pentaband. So no matter what they do to the american GSM version, if anything, I can import the beast and have 3g/4g. I could care less about 42mb/s or LTE. As long as it runs between 7-21 im a happy camper. Give me the big guns instead of LTE!
41. WirelessCon (Posts: 309; Member since: 11 May 2010)
I hope T-Mobile and At&t get the Exynos chip, but it's not looking good. We'll see tomorrow.
45. MartyK (Posts: 732; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
I guess Sammy is allowing other OEM to catch up with them in phone sales with this BS move.
48. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
lol guys is not May 3rd and already the long faces.. ahh the pleasure to see the Sammy kids with long faces.. ... I am just concerned about my iphone. since the iphone used exynos/quality chip REMIXXX now that the iphone will come with lte what chip will it be under the iphone...
51. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5688; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it'll be above the iPhone and below the 3rd Generation iPad...
54. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Your concerns are valid gallito. The rumors still point to an updated A5X chip (exynos 4212 dual core basically with PowerVR). If samsung doesnt have the SGS3 running LTE without switching chips, then it may mean that there is no LTE in store for the iphone either. We all know they wont compromise design to add extra chips in. Then again, with the i5 launching later than the SGS3, it gives samsung more time to make american LTE work with exynos.
Honestly, I dont know if the American LTE rumors are true. I put stock in the fact that they are not simply because a NAMED samsung official in an actual interview about the 4412 said that was one of their main focuses this time around so they wouldnt have to switch chips again.
Ill take that word over some rumor and and "unnamed" official.
But yea, just like KK said, it should be right in between the i4s and ipad3 in terms of power. They are not going to keep the super clocked A5X chip from the ipad3 since its a battery killer, which is why the ipad3 comes with such a massive battery.
58. JenApple (Posts: 5; Member since: 18 Apr 2012)
There’s a competition to win a Galaxy S III going on at the moment! It’d be so great to get one for nothing!