Use Swiftkey? Love Swiftkey? Live in NY, San Francisco or London? Want to be on Camera?
0. phoneArena 08 Sep 2012, 21:05 posted on
Millions of Android users around the world are using SwiftKey as their method of text input for messaging...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. AppleIsGod (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Switft key uses wayyy too much RAM. It uses around 25 MB and drains battery faster than the standard swype or the android keyboard. I guess that doesn't matter if you have a high end phone but if you have a single core phone I suggest you stick with swype.
7. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Since the ICS update, Swype is just too small for me to handle on my Razr. I also can't stand the small spacebar and such.
8. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Have you tried other swype-based keyboards?
15. redmd (Posts: 865; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I've tried touch pal but reverted back to stock Swype.so far so good. Swype on the Razr is ok just smaller than my note, I have both btw. you don't have much need of the space bar. they have auto space feature. this is good if you prefer one handed use.
20. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I just find it hard to get used to, and my spelling is a bit bad, so it often gives me suggestions for different words, which then make me peck at it to get the right word in there.
If I took the time to get used to it, I bet it would be great.... but I just really prefered the one that was included on GB rather than the ICS version.
6. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Yeah, its not only the amount of RAM (on mine it averages 20MB), but the load times for it.
Just to do a simple google search using the widget on my homescreen, it takes an extra 2-3 seconds compared to other keyboards. It also tends to lag up more. No me gusta. The keyboard size isn't custimizable enough for my liking (only 3 sizes) and so on.
I tend to use Thumb Keyboard on my phone and tablet and love it on both. Suggestions aren't as great as Swiftkey, but it is much more custimizable and runs much nicer.
9. AppleIsGod (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Perfect Keyboard is pretty neat if you want to try a different flavor.
19. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I have it.
I use it primaily for the compact mode. Its really nice. Its a lot like Thumb. Sometimes it slips up, so Thumb is a little more stable for me, but Perfect would be a close second, followed by Smart.
I'd say Thumb and Perfect are just about on the same level, but I like the layout on my tablet for Thumb.
11. p0rkguy (Posts: 683; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
25MB isn't even a lot...
My facebook is at 76MB.
GoSMS is at 38MB.
I was using all of this on the OG HTC EVO.
14. a1000smiles4u (Posts: 84; Member since: 24 Apr 2012)
It works perfectly fine on s3
No lag no crashing
Dint knew it consumes that much battery and ram, though not an issue with s3
18. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
eh..... Ultra Keyboard full uses 34mb.. thats worse...
3. mas11 (Posts: 1028; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I'm sure it's an awesome app for phones without keyboards, but I tried the app during the sale and it had a bunch of issues on my DROID 4
5. dannyryr (Posts: 7; Member since: 19 Aug 2012)
I use swiftkey, love it so much I bought it. Only takes up 9mb. But as of today it just keeps forcing closing.
10. ilkinandr92 (Posts: 43; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
Using it on Atrix CM7 no FC's bought it on sale 99c. Best looking and working keyboard ever used!!
12. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 505; Member since: 20 May 2012)
I hatw swype with a passion, i just downloaded swift key for 99 cents on sale, so far, im fairly impressed, blows stock android out of water, but damn, lots of options also. Seems to work stable with my galaxy note with ICS
13. KFear (Posts: 137; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Why is everyone talking about how much RAM this app uses? I used swiftkey from the beginning and it has never been an issue, even with devices that have a lot of bloat and swiftkey running. How about we enjoy our devices and stop worrying about that extra 2% battery and RAM usage. JUST USE YOUR PHONE
17. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
If they give option to get rid of prediction bar, i will use it agan.
So far smart keyboar best
21. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Perfect Keyboard is just like Smart, but with a few extra features. You should check it out.
24. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
i like the themes, space between key is better, keyboard sensitif best. but i can't get rid of prediction bar, eat to much space and
auto correct did not work well with indonesian language
22. soshi (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Mar 2012)
use much space and ram. yes it is not swiftkey problem but other application also use space and ram especially google app. so i must let go this keyboard although i like it. best prediction and also available in bahasa indonesia but my phone only 512 ram and 420 internal memory.
23. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
No isheeps in this forum? They don't read anything else apart from news about iPhone and then once iPhone releases Swype they will think that apple invented it.
25. EspHack (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
i cant see how this can be better than swype