Update to Android version of WhatsApp lets you silence a group until the 22nd century
The update also allows you to disable notifications from the group by un-checking the "Show notifications" box. And a new camera icon located next to the text input field allows you to take a quick photo to send to one of your contacts.
WhatsApp is in the midst of being acquired by Facebook for $19 billion. Earlier this month, the FTC signed off on the deal. Both sides are still awaiting approvals from international regulators.
WhatsApp Android update allows you to silence a group for 100 years and send a quick snapshot to a contact
source: WhatsApp via GSMArena
1. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1282; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
And there is a misspelling on the title.
5. akki20892 (Posts: 3434; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Century? He/she should delete group instead.
8. buccob (Posts: 1409; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I was invited to 2 Family groups (one of my side and another from my wife's side) and to be honest, I ended up silencing Group notifications altogether... Sometimes there are 100 new messages overnight... and SOMETIMES I do get interested on what is being said... but most of the time I ignore it... The thing is, I don't want to be the "party pooper" leaving any of the groups... and then having my wife or someone from my family asking me why I deleted it or whatever....
So this update its great news for me...
9. akki20892 (Posts: 3434; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I got u, I agree. They should add 10 yrs and 5 yrs
11. JC557 (Posts: 1038; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
But now I can say "SILENCE" in a deep commanding voice as I hit the button to shut them up for all eternity... well in terms of lifetime. =P
10. johnbftl (Posts: 190; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
I notice terrible spelling and/or grammar in just about every article on this website. With the exception of Michael H., I don't think anyone really does any type of proofreading.
3. kartikeyarathi8 (Posts: 12; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
Any increase in group member size from 50 to 100?
4. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Wow. That'll be useful. Now I can already silence my grand grand children lol.
6. htcforlife (Posts: 41; Member since: 15 Apr 2014)
whoever thought of that really hated some groups!
12. saiki4116 (Posts: 350; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
If you are in Group of 40 people, you get to know the pain.The worst thing is that to avoid that constant barrage of messages, you have to leave the group, and when you leave group it will be known to all members making you feel awkward. Thank god, this update makes thing less annoying.
7. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2962; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
At least we now know the data retention period of WhatsApp is more than one century. Like Facebook, they keep everything, forever.
13. nevinjohn (Posts: 8; Member since: 03 May 2012)
No big deal, after all it's just a couple of lines more in the code!
14. Ishmeet (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Can't they increase it to 2? *Just in case*
15. GABIDEN (Posts: 26; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
finally, always wanted to mute that group even after im dead.
16. blackc25 (Posts: 7; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
One more useful feature was discovered today while going through profile pic of your contacts,, now you can save those profile pic directly to the gallery without needing to screen shot.