Update brings improvement to rear snapper on Sony Xperia Z1
0. phoneArena 24 Oct 2013, 19:28 posted on
If you thought that the Sony Xperia Z1's rear-facing camera was amazing, you might need a new adjective to describe it following a firmware update that improves the algorithm to improve the performance of the camera; features like Burst Mode,Superior Auto, AR Effect and Sweep Panorama are improved following the update...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6975; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Going to update my Z1 just got a message for update. Going to try it out.
38. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
Lumia 1020's gonna get better too!
2. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I think PA needs to do another camera shootout considering the Z1 and 1520 are now going head to head.
15. rency0722 (Posts: 102; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
I also think PA should be tracking all the software updates on every phone, then they should capture the same image and show them how it differs from the previous SW.
It may be time-consuming but it will show how manufacturers live up to their words of providing better updates. :)
3. cjtaxi (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
Hm as soon as the update available on my phone i will try the camera immediately...cant wait
4. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1492; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Just the right moment for 1520,But hey I do t think it'll come close to this bad boy..
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Let's post the same comment twice in a row!
12. shuimaranaman (Posts: 11; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
Let's post the same comment twice in a row!
40. AnukulVcool (unregistered)
z1 have bigger sensor and same resolution , so z1 have obvious advantage! z1 : 1/2.3 , 1520 : 1/2.5
7. apple4never (Posts: 1026; Member since: 08 May 2013)
so camera performance is mainly software with the exeption of the camera for just light sampling ? so in theory i could make an 8mp snap like a 21mp ?
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Aperture + sensor size + software = mind blowing photos.
Just check the Lumia 1520, 925, or 1020.
13. alltechinside (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
You need to good software with good camera. the Z1 has an excellent 20.1mp camera, but poor image processing. The sharpness is good but the color accuracy needs more work. This update brings up a very good improvement :D
14. rency0722 (Posts: 102; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
Color accuracy? Every bit of news I read regarding Z1 was it produces accurate colors.
17. pwnarena (Posts: 1019; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
yes the z1 is already good with color accuracy. they just need to work on the noise and the blurring. hopefully, they've done it right now.
25. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
yes...... sad they dont work on camera software more :(
11. iluvsonynokia (Posts: 144; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
significant change s,but only in next update it will become perfect
16. pwnarena (Posts: 1019; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
if they have to update the z1 review, they need to update those of others as well. that's going to be a big task but still doable. i remember gsmarena used to update their reviews when new a firmware is released. they're just not doing it with new devices recently.
it's not their fault that sony released an unfinished product.
18. DAddYE (Posts: 48; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
Z1 owner here. I confirm that the latest update brought an exceptional photo quality. This phone now is close to the perfection.
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Curious, what's stopping it from being perfect?
22. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3466; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Hey, even the 1020 isn't perfect. Nothing can be perfect since there is always room for improvement.
24. DAddYE (Posts: 48; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
My main concern is that the the glass is not olephobic and has a builtin screen protector which is neat to have indeed but isn't either antifinger print. Other than this it has a bit too big bezel, but to be fair this is also his personality of this amazing device.
21. rency0722 (Posts: 102; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
I've seen one sample also on the previous and the current FW. (just delete the space after "h" and the "w")
h ttp://w ww.flickr.com/photos/59117758@N02/10461603024/
h ttp://w ww.flickr.com/photos/59117758@N02/10461614645/
44. Remmy (Posts: 81; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Wow the difference is really evident D: Good job Sony! :)
23. irellemot (Posts: 106; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
Would love some kind of update like this for my HTC One. Camera issues only got worse after the 4.3 update, along with battery life.
26. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
according to DXOMARK Xperia Z1 is only behind Nokia 808 in overall camera Quality (including video and Image)
27. hmmm... (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Jun 2013)
but it ranks fifth if you count photos only. there are only 18 electronics on that DXOMARK mobile. and two devices there are not even mobilephones. HOping to see them add more
28. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
and it ranks 1st in video beating Nokia 808 too among smartphones
excluding Hero which is an action camera
29. hmmm... (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Jun 2013)
Yup, but the videos does not take into account audio quality and that when zooming SONY's clear zoom and other brands can't even match Nokia's. I'm just pointing out that there are many factors involved that are not tested here. I really did like and want to buy the Z1, but I seldom take videos and those empty bezels are much larger than the Z.
31. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
if sony is fifth then all things were taken into account
if sony was placed 1st , then some things were not taken into account
try it more
32. hmmm... (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Jun 2013)
Wow, putting words into others mouth. Where did I say that sony is fifth, all things are taken into account? I did say it is fifth when video is not taken into account. You seem really defensive of Sony. I tell it like i see it. I do look at 100% crops of images from sony camera's. It's either a hit or miss. Their newer camera models with large sensor in samll body like the nex and rx series produces great image quality. I have one of them. But those with smaller sensors have always been a problem with sony. Their DSLR is improving too. Like i said, i mainly take pictures, so i prefer to look at the photo ranking. You may take more videos and prefer the video rannking. but I NEVER say that 5th is all taken into account. Do you even know how DXOmark do their test? Read carefully their site carefully.
33. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
34. hmmm... (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Jun 2013)
I know. I i read straight from DXOmark web, that includes performance from both video and photo. 5th for photo second for video and overall second. Their z1 is good, but it is not good enough in the photo department for me to want to leave my SONY RX or a NEX at home.
36. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
So you can buy a digital camera or DSLR.
Its not logical to expect a cameraphone to perform like a DSLR specially when that cameraphone has such a slim profile.
Maybe in future we can see better performances.
39. hmmm... (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Jun 2013)
RX and NEX are not DSLRs. Not even close. The RX is small enough to fit into a jeans pocket. I don't expect a phone to perform like a DSLR or a large sensor compact. Where did i mention a DSLR? I just expect to to have little noise at night and provide natural colours. Another reason I did not like L1020 but it seems they will update it to natural colours. Yes, maybe we can see better phonecamera's in the future, more pocketable than s4 zoom and still have great image quality.
30. taikucing (unregistered)
not bad. I'm waiting for camera review of 1520 vs Z1.
41. AnukulVcool (unregistered)
compare phonearena compare
45. quu.feel (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
I've used the camera of the Z and the Z1 only indoors at the croma store. The Z clearly beats the Z1, but then again this is with indoor lighting.
Also a Frnd of mine recently travelled to New Zealand and came back with some spectacular shots on his old Z, I could not believe that those images were taken from a smartphone camera....the xperia Z is clearly superior....sony has seriously messed up here.