US carriers get ranked by latency, T-Mobile snatches a close win
0. phoneArena 06 Nov 2013, 10:11 posted on
We spend a lot of time talking about smartphones and the heaps of tech that goes into them, but it's quite rare that we talk about the companies that make the operation of our smartphones possible – carriers...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. cripton805 (Posts: 1428; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
I feel like trying out Tmobile prepaid just to check it out. So far, my Sprint 3g is horrible.
4. NexusPhan (Posts: 624; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Get a prepaid T-Mobile SIm card for $10 athttp://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card
Active the $30 a month 5GB of data, unlimited texts, 100 minutes plan and try it out!
I did, and now I'm a happy T-Mobile postpaid customer!
5. cripton805 (Posts: 1428; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Yes thats what I was thinking. I know that 100 minutes isn't enough for me, but thats cheap enough to try.
31. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Damn, I ordered 2 of them for free last Friday or over the weekend. Just got delivered today and the $30 plan is what I was going to test their service with.
2. Whateverman (Posts: 3251; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Don't sleep on T-Mobile!
Side note: Who mixed up the colors on the chart?
8. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3722; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I was thinking the same. The fact that we associate each of the carriers with a different color made the chart a little hard to read.
10. Brewski (Posts: 321; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
Agreed. It would have been easier to dicern at a glance if the colors represented the right carriers.
Sprint = Yellow
T-Mobile = Magenta
AT&T = Blue
Verizon = Red
16. DAMONORIBELLO (Posts: 109; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Exactly! How can this be taken seriously when the person who did this almighty test cannot pair the correct colors with each carrier?
25. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Chart was done on a Macbook Air.
28. Gdrye (Posts: 110; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
i wouldnt sleep on them but lack of custmers is a good indication of this, im sure it has to do with this
26. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
They also have the worst 4G; yes, they are consistent. Congrats' Sprint!!
6. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Does this account for the latency involved to run outside of the building you are in to actually get LTE from T-Mobile? I never knew I was that fast ;)
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10439; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Look at T-Mobile being #1 and Sprint in dead last. ;)
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10439; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Hell no. Network Vision project was a complete waste of money if they couldn't beat Verizon's 3G.
9. emcdonald75 (Posts: 69; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
T-Mobile might have the lowest latency on their UMTS/HSPA+/LTE networks, but what of their 2G/EDGE network? That network makes up the majority of their coverage areas. People cannot keep bashing Sprint for their inexcusably slow 3G network and forget that T-Mobile has similar issues with their 2G network. At least Sprint has announced doing something about their entire footprint, what about T-Mobile?
13. JDogg5281 (Posts: 64; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
But the way Sprint rolls out stuff it will be 10 years before they finish anything....Network Vision, LTE, Tri-Band LTE
21. av911 (Posts: 190; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
"At least Sprint has announced doing something about their entire footprint, what about T-Mobile?"
How's that plan doing for Sprint? They've been charging $10 extra for smartphones users for YEARS and what do the users get in return? 3G connection with 2G speed.
12. Omarc07 (Posts: 396; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
well over here in los angeles u want speed a good ping and good latency u have 2 choices At&t or tmobile and maybe sprint if u live in the few areas sprint has lte in La Its not that bad ,verizon might have the best nationwide coverage but its lte well over here in La its the slowest.I and like some people i know left verizon for slow data the last phone i had with them was s4 ,sometimes it didnt make sense i would get 1 dwn and ,10 up with full bars lte standing outside the download was always pretty bad and the upload good. And besides it didnt even get good service in buildings i tought verizon lte used 700 mhz for good signal in buildings deep in most stores i would drop dwn to 3G evdo . I know 2 people with verizon both have iphone 5s and complain about slow data aswell. Now on att and tmobile huge difference in speed ,att is my work phone tmobile my personal phone couldnt be hapoier they both get more than 10mbps something verizon rarely got . And att keeps lte deep in buildings something verizon didnt do i cant say the same for tmobile in most buildings it drops dwn to edge but yea couldnt be happier with both att n tmobile never going back to verizon again.
22. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
CDMA used to be better when it first came out but it sucks now.
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10439; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Used to, yes, but GSM (HSPA) is a hell lot faster and you're able to use unlocked phones with no trouble at all.
30. tuminatr (Posts: 772; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)
Networks are much more about implementation than technology. All the US cdma carriers decided not to go CDMA Rev B (packet data added to CDMA rev a campared to UMTS HSDPA+ is their version of packet data CDMA) they decided to leap frog to LTE. Keep in mind that HSDPA+ is cdma.
15. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
I happen to like my carrier, T-Mobile. Can't say the same for when I was on Sprint.
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10439; Member since: 14 May 2012)
This. Left Sprint back in 2007 for Verizon and then T-Mobile. I never plan on going back.
20. dex-4 (Posts: 22; Member since: 09 Dec 2010)
Why are all of the colors mismatched with carriers?
24. nnjerzy (Posts: 115; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
I had all the major carriers,,, im with tmob for 6 months now and never going back as well,, TMOB great job!!
27. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
"It feels like pretty much nobody likes his carrier" ......
Please speak for yourself, I ♥ my carrier (Verizon) and I ♥ the blazingly fast Unlimited 4G LTE I get on it for $23.99!
lol... and, NO THROTTLING!
29. boomsauce55 (Posts: 9; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
TMobile Galaxy Note 3
Full bars 4G
3.84 down 1.18 Up Per Speedtest app
Am I missing something here?