*UPDATE 4* Sprint's Diamond gets pictured, dated

0. phoneArena 01 Sep 2008, 10:21 posted on

The first shots of the Diamond have leaked out and the phone will start shipping on Sept 14th...

posted on 15 Aug 2008, 14:17

Sprint people sit here all day arguing, but you were all really pretty quiet when everyone was lighting up the Sprint article about their 2nd quarter losses and how much everyone hates them....They lead in churn, they lead in ETFs being paid for customers to walk and they are right in front of T Mobile for coverage....none of these things should make anyone proud. All you fanboys should just look at the facts and realize your on a dying network. It will be a miracle if they dont get bought out or file bankruptcy. VZW FTW

posted on 15 Aug 2008, 16:46

You'e right. No way to spin the churn for the most part. A lot of it has to do with Nextel business customers who are leaving because they expected the sae level of service from Sprint and didn't get it (just an opinion). I love how we all post "everybody hates them" comments, yet I have a steady flow of people who come in and want to switch from (insert carrier here) to Sprint. have about the SAME NUMBER od people ask to switch to Verizon. As far as being a "fanboy," that word is just stupid! I carry 3 phones from 3 carriers and I get the same (almost always) signal, customer service, etc. from all of them. These comments are filled by employees of these carriers and want to pump their chest. Just because you fell in love with Verizon and are focused only on what Sprint can't get right, as opposed to the progress over the last few years screams ignorance. Most of Sprint's ETFs could also be related to Apple iPhone users (some 5 million) and their family plans they took with them. I have no problems that you have stated obvious issues with Sprint, be let's get real, all carriers have good and bad about them, but I do admire your unnecessary "Patriotism" to Verizon and I am sure your paycheck reflects that.

posted on 21 Aug 2008, 11:00

IDK about churn for sprint in my market for stores we sit at 1% and have been for the last 2 years. Corprate is higher because well they don't provide alot of customer service then again from my expirence verizon isnt much better corpratly (if you can find a corprate store in minnesota) As far as network service from my expirence in the midwest its tmobile then sprint(verizon is about same depending where your at)then alltel and att at the bottom. I just love coming on here and watching the little arguments between carriers espically VZW ~ Sprint. I think verizon reps just love coming here on break to bash some people due to their poor sales numbers ;)

posted on 15 Aug 2008, 15:24

Again, as an owner of a multi-carrier store (Sprint/Verizon), this site's commenters are embarassing! Alltel works great in rural areas where others fail. Sprint has the most robust data network in the US (sorry, just because AT&T has HSDPA in about 30-40 cities doesn't proclaim them the winner). As for the moron who can't express himself without obscenities (#48), you sound like the typical 19-22 year old sale rep who gets a woody when you watch the commercials for your carrier. THEY ARE CELL PHONE COMPANIES, NOT TEAM USA IN THE OLYMPICS! CALM DOWN! I suppose you also hav the ultimate knowledge as to why your phones, reception, etc. are so far superior. I'll just wait here tilyou post all that info. Thanks for bringing me into the light, smart guy!

posted on 15 Aug 2008, 15:29

And about losing customers, we all know Sprint is in the dumps these days, but that gives us all something to hope for going foward. Th main problem I have is customer care, but a knowledgable user can go around them on 95% of their issues. Most people that leave Sprint are those who have been bitten by them in the past (i.e. before Nextel merger), at least from the people I deal with daily. They are not that much better yet, but we can dream of the future, maybe. And for the record, my market for my 5 stores sells about 50/50 Sprint to Verizon and we don't "push" either. Again, this is just a phone/plan/coverage thing, not who you pray to before bed at night.

posted on 15 Aug 2008, 17:00

55. doitall76 (unregistered)

This site needs to have user names and passwords required. That way people can be banned for making obscene posts and have their posts deleted. Doitall76

posted on 15 Aug 2008, 17:12

56. Car Ramrod (unregistered)

The negativity trolls would just come up with a creative name to bash carriers, then get banned, then creat another Yahoo email address and re-register with a new stupid name. I do agree, though, that there should be the "Moron Police" to watch out for the idiotic posts that aren't info-worthy, just opinionated garbage.

posted on 16 Aug 2008, 00:25

Hi I personally have had all the major wireless networks. I live in Phoenix AZ and I had some problems with both att and Alltel. The problems I had with att is that not all of Phoenix has 3g, like some areas of Phoenix College has 3g and other areas of the school has edge, and there customer service is a bit better than sprints but the inconstancy of there 3g coverage area is the reason why I dump att and the pricing of there plans are way more expensive by at least 30% or more than sprints simply everything plans. I also had verizon and the customer service was better but the same thing than att there plans were at least 40% or more than sprints simply everything plans. Tmobile has a slow network but if you don’t mind the slow speeds that they offer then they are ok and they have cheaper plans than sprint but you don’t have the TV functionality on your phone. Alltel says that they have the least dropped calls but in my house and my school most of my calls dropped within 10 minutes of the call and there customer service isn’t all that great in fixing the issue. Personally I prefer sprint because there plans are better than most wireless companies and even though there customer service isn’t great then tell me which wireless companies customer service is perfect, and if you don’t get very good signal strength you can roam on other providers networks at no additional cost. Tell me if that’s not a good thing? I have the HTC Touch right now and I think that this is a good phone but I am waiting on the HTC Touch Diamond because it has double the ram than the Touch and it has 4GB of internal memory. It has FM radio. The Black and the red trim are perfect but I would prefer a white trim better than red but that’s ok. You can put third party downloads, and you will have wifi. Also you will have mms capabilities for most sprint windows devices don’t have, and sending pictures and videos by email is very time consuming. This phone personally will be one of sprints best phones that they sell right now. I know I wrote allot but I hope that you find this useful.

posted on 16 Aug 2008, 07:15

stfu ur wrong the cdma touch never had wifi only the gsm. wifi was taken out do to battery life. i work for htc. Htc fell in love with sprint when sprint let htc start there us marketing campaign on the phones putting htc on them. htc cdma carrier of choice is sprint. yall verizon users and at&t users will be pissed when u see sprints andriod device ill give yall one secret about it wimax. right now im using a tmobile dream and its aswome. in septemeber illl be rocking a sprint pro!! quote wow

posted on 16 Aug 2008, 11:12

Does anyone else notice in the picture it says "ROFL?"

posted on 16 Aug 2008, 16:01

The guy who supposedly took (Stole) the pictures from Sprint's PR department had to get his due!

posted on 17 Aug 2008, 17:48

but if you look at the sprint cdma diamond close. it doesnt have the front camera. but why is that? i thought that they only made the phone thicker and thats it. why did they take away the front camera?

posted on 17 Aug 2008, 23:23

I think its because the CDMA technology cannot do voice and data simultaneously, which video calling requires. So the front camera is ditched, no use for it.

posted on 18 Aug 2008, 07:11

really? does any of the others allow for both at the same time? i guess gsm is the only other one - guess that's a dumb question. but gsm allows it? i've sent txt msgs while on my cheap vzw phone, is that different? just curious... also, it's kinda suck to have that extra camera unless the other side can view video calls... somewhere in the future!!!!

posted on 18 Aug 2008, 13:32

is it going to be red or purple, it looks purple, if it is purple i dnt want it

posted on 20 Aug 2008, 03:54

98. Sarahlynn (unregistered)

Isn't it nice to know that rather then spending millions of dollars to improve sprints customer service problem, sprint is spending 100's of millions if not over a billion dollars trying to launch and deploy their 4g wimax network, a full 2 years before any other U.S. carrier is planing on building their 4g networks? What's the hurry? If you are bleeding and losing customers mainly do to customer service, building a new shinny 4g network isn't going to solve that problem.

posted on 20 Aug 2008, 18:35

there are still a lot of customers who don't care about customer service, or who would just rather pay a lot less and have better data. plus, there are customers who have horror stories with customer service on any carrier. its not like sprint is the only one. albeit they are at the bottom of the barrel in customer service, they are making a slow improvement (if last quarters numbers are any inidication). and, concerning your last point, developing a 4g network a couple of years ahead of the competition is huge, if only to sell the company to a potential buyer. that would be huge gains off of a huge investment.

posted on 26 Aug 2008, 12:27

Which is funny, because everytime I've called Sprint I've never had a problem with their customer service. I've only had pretty good dealings with them. Maybe it's because I'm either 1) not trying to scam the system all the time or 2) I'm nice to them.

posted on 20 Aug 2008, 18:30

Really, so strange? Then why is Intel, Clearwire and Motorola backing up WiMax...

posted on 20 Aug 2008, 22:36

It's funny for those who don't like sprint complain about customer service. How often does the average user call in CS to have that many bad experiences? And having a 4G network is not only for cellular services, they offer WiMax to companies in lieu of a T1 or T2 line. Nice thing about WiMax is that you don't have to rewire the whole office, it can add on to the existing network. Anyways, I can't wait to see what the diamond looks like in person. It was like the 800w, pictures made it look a bit ugly, but when I held it, it was a lot nicer.

posted on 20 Aug 2008, 23:39

In my company we have sprint/nextel. We've had Nextel since they started in El Paso. We never have any problems with them or with customer service. If a phone breaks, we just take it down to the repair center. About two months ago, I got a sprint data card. I activated it via phone. Customer service was excellent. Last week my mogul expired and again, I took it to the repair center and I was given a new one the following morning. Again, excellent customer service. For my personal phone i have an first gen iphone that geets terrible service due to ATT having severe coverage issues in west El Paso. I am switching that line to sprint and getting an instinct. I do not work for sprint or any business related to sprint.

posted on 22 Aug 2008, 02:13

Experience with these carriers really is personal in nature and cannot be generalized. I try to be objective about it. I've been with Sprint since 2000 and honestly have had some issues with them from time to time. I actually left them for ATT for a year only to return for a number of disappointing reasons. As far as customer service is concerned, I've had my ups and downs with Sprint. However, everytime that I've had an issue and brought it to their attention, eventually it is not only resolved, but I usually get free stuff, envoice adjustments or recurring discounts. To date, I have 10 lines with Sprint, 3 of which are free. I also get a 20% good customer discount off of every bill. Now, my son jumped off my plan to get the iphone with ATT and he's happy. My daughter jumped off of my plan to get the SideKick with T-mobile and she's happy. My parents and best friend have Verizon and their happy. Bottom line is that whatever carrier works best for YOU is the best carrier FOR you no matter what JD Power or anyone else says. I must say one thing regarding customer service though. While helping my daughter get her SideKick set up with T-Mobile and having a number transfer issue, I experienced some of the best customer service that I ever have. I mean I was BLOWN AWAY at how much they cared and the lengths to which they went to get the job done.

posted on 22 Aug 2008, 02:20

...by the way, is the red backing on the Diamond a problem for anyone else or is it just me. I have to admit that it's pretty much a deal breaker for me. If that really is the case, I'm staying with my Touch with the Windows 6.1 upgrade and spb mobile shell. Maybe I'll get the "red" diamond for my wife to replace her "red" Palm Centro.

posted on 22 Aug 2008, 09:09

The Red/Purple back is a turn off for me as well. Someone on here said they will still have the all black but I have yet to see anything confirming that. I hope it is just the battery door and can either be painted or just buy a black extended battery door off ebay or something after the phone launches.

posted on 01 Sep 2008, 12:58

Im pretty sure you will be able to buy black 3rd party covers that are identical to the look and feel of the standard one, (heck they might be surplus HTC backs) shortly after launch. Its kind of a meh 'feature' but im not concerned about it. Biggest issue for me is the lack of microSD slot, but i can live without it too.

posted on 22 Aug 2008, 10:47

Doesn't anyone see the hoax ? There is a ROFL written on all the pictures!

posted on 22 Aug 2008, 19:53

119. adam13123 (unregistered)

pay attention. youre not the first to see this. thats the guys username who posted them. hes credible.

posted on 24 Aug 2008, 20:50

ROFL is the username at sprintusers.com. He is the one who leaked the shots, of course he is going to put his name (not his real name) on the pics.

posted on 24 Aug 2008, 11:12

122. lues (unregistered)

I thought this was about the Diamond?

posted on 24 Aug 2008, 23:46

I read in some other forums that there would be Red, Black and grey

posted on 25 Aug 2008, 04:37

129. tweezy (unregistered)

Tsk, tsk, I have had service with almost every major carrier, At&t, T-Mobile and Sprint. I have never had Verizon, but, Sprint is who I have now and will be sticking with. I just love how all of you Verizon fanboys come on here, bash Sprint and make futile claims of in superiority. The customer service for sprint does suck, but their service is second to none. T-Mobile's network is a joke, At&t's speeds can't touch Sprints on their best day and Verizon's network is overpriced. I mean, for once, we're getting a better phone than vzw. So, why hate? Just give Sprint their props and wait your turn for the watered down version of the phone, I am going to get the pro instead personally though.

posted on 26 Aug 2008, 12:44

i have been part of stupid posts before but this one by far wins the stupidity award.....go somewhere else to fight about VZW AT&T and Sprint......this is only about the Sprint HTC Diamond!!!!!

posted on 26 Aug 2008, 12:45

some one asked before if the VZW version would have Wi FI and some one replied yes.....are you sure about this???

posted on 26 Aug 2008, 22:02

Who cares what you think about your carrier or someone else's carrier; it's your money, spend it how you want. FYI, I've read on several sites, VZW will have the touch by the end of October. I personally think it'll be out w/ their annual November launch...just in time for the holidays.

posted on 27 Aug 2008, 18:12

OK SO does anybody have an idea on the price for these ?

posted on 28 Aug 2008, 21:11

$549.99 with no discounts...

posted on 29 Aug 2008, 01:18

i just wish everyone could just get along... :(

posted on 29 Aug 2008, 07:02

145. vzw "fanboy" (unregistered)

im glad people can choose to have sprint where verizon lacks, unfortunatly sprint lacks more than they gain. vzw chooses what phones we get carefully and make sure they are not a piece of crap...verizon isnt meant for poor people, if your poor, stick to MetroPCS. i hope verizon gets this phone though.

posted on 01 Sep 2008, 19:47

155. Bigriggy63 (unregistered)

I love the fact that ignorance runs amuck on the internet; if you love your carrier, SO BE IT. Don't be a jack@ss and make comments about how "poor" people should stick to a certain carrier. They have the same right to great service as everyone, else; I'm certain that everyone has their own reason for liking/disliking a carrier. Personally? Been a Sprint customer since 95 (Spectrum days), and anytime I have had an issue, it has been corrected. Does their customer service lack? Without question. Is this a "quick fix?" Of course not. YOu simply cannot undue 13 years of damage overnight. However, you CAN right the ship, make better decisions, and develop a more economically feasible business model. After all, the more competition that is available, the better rates for all.......that's where people should focus their attention. Looking forward to all of the new phones, and WIMAX in Chicago soon. Relax people. and enjoy what works for YOU.

posted on 08 Sep 2008, 14:04

158. SPRINTLEAK (unregistered)

Talked to a representative online and he stated that the PROJECTED release for the SPRINT HTC DIAMOND will be September 14, 2008. He didn't mention anything about a name change or pricing details. He said the phone will be available online and didn't mention anything of when the stores would recieve it.

posted on 08 Sep 2008, 16:53

Hey does anyone know if for a fact you have to switch plans to get this phone. i am on a family plan and don't want to switch to simply everything plan and pay 100 a month. i had the same problem when i tried to get the Instinct.

posted on 11 Sep 2008, 00:30

161. bobtech (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Sep 2008)

Boils down to this guys....... Sprint is 99.00, VZ is 149.99, And ATT is $149.00 for Apples phone. ****unlimited plans thats an extra $600.00/Year extra, no way **** Go Sprint!