U.S. Cellular turned down the Apple iPhone because the terms were "unacceptable"
Apple has been known to demand onerous terms from carriers in return for offering the iPhone. Questions of whose customers iPhone users were have been an issue dating back to the first Apple iPhone and were allegedly the reason why Verizon turned down the chance to be the exclusive carrier for the phone back in 2007. Sprint joined Verizon and AT&T in launching the Apple iPhone 4S in the States last month and says it is paying 40% more to obtain an iPhone customer than a user of another model. The nation's third largest carrier says its deal with Apple will last 4 years and that it won't turn a profit on the deal until 2014. On the other hand, Sprint needed to offer the Apple iPhone as it was losing customers to AT&T and Verizon, both of which offer the handset. Besides Sprint, Verizon and AT&T, regional carrier C Spire also offers the Apple iPhone after reaching an agreement with Apple a few weeks ago.
As for the Q3 earnings, U.S. Cellular said that the percentage of its customers using smartphones rose to 39.9% from 23.6%, helping operating earnings rise 66% year-over-year to $101.6 million. That works out to 73 cents per share in earnings this year vs. 44 cents last year. Revenue rose 5% to $1.03 billion. Still, the company lost 34,000 customers on contract and gained 11,000 lower-margin pre-paid customers for a net loss of 23,000 users.
1. Scuba_Steve (Posts: 79; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
I'd like to see the cost of selling the iPhone. No prfit untl 2014? Surely they must be making something right?
28. BuckeyeCadet86 (Posts: 68; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Actually no there is no profit on the iPhone until well into 14-16 months. Apple charges the carriers so much for the phone and then demands they sell it at a subsidized price 400 off.
95. stilt (Posts: 63; Member since: 13 Jul 2008)
Yeah I work for verizon a sales rep .I cant stand selling an iphone. cause With a blackberry, droid or palm or windows device I sell it and get commissions ranging from if its a primary line $25 or higher in commission if its a secondary line $22 or higher. with a damn iphone a primary line gets only $20 in commission and you cant make any feature commissions cause apple doesnt pay on features and if its a secondary line only damn $5 cut and dry. sometimes you are tempted to talk a customer out of a iphone to get something else to make more money off of it, its ridiculous cause us as salesmen spend so much time explaining phones and selling phones and baby walking customers to only get that low ass commission for selling an iphone when all the other smartphones get way higher pay out for selling them. and get this if a customer already has an iphone then comes to upgrade to another iphone we make absolutely nothing at all cause they already paid commision on an iphone before so its like a complete waste of my time to even want to upgrade a person to a iphone its like a lost compared to what i can get for any other smartphone. I HATE APPLE AS A COMPANY GOOD PRODUCT BUT HATE WHAT THEY PAY OUT FOR COMMISSION TO SALESMEN
2. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
iconic ???? PA gimme a break.. its a mid range over rated device with hell lot of issues and a tiny display
3. iwebdroidberry7 (Posts: 230; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Android devices are flawless.
9. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2840; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
You still mad that Android is a better OS than IOS, Blackberry, WebOS, and WM7 all put together?
57. Mozarrt (Posts: 287; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Your comment makes me laugh, I guess it all just went to your head.
90. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Dude. He's Right. It's mid range. It's just at par with everyone else with just a higher price. GET OVER IT. EVERYTHING HAS BUGS.
6. handsomehwang (Posts: 6; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
guys nothing ever goes wrong with android
7. Scuba_Steve (Posts: 79; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
It's people like you who give us(fandroids) a bad name. I'm not surprised you've been moderated before.
4. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
go n cry to ur mama..lol
16. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
8. bbblader (Posts: 520; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
lol 2 companies have rejected the Ape ijoke 4Stupid
and to think how everything speeds up in 2 years 50% of the stores wont sell ijoke
10. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
fine that they rejected the Apple.. in two years US cellular will beg to get the iphone or face extinction....
11. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Haha that gave me a good laugh, thanks gallito.
13. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
ex.. Sprint... gave in as they saw people feeling to other carriers all due to the iphone... google it...
99. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
I work for U.S. Cellular we're here to stay. I'm glad they didn't give in to the Nazis Iphone.
15. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Don't think so. It's obvious that the deal would not be profitable to them at all. They're a good US carrier with extremely high customer satisfaction.
18. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
get 20 people off the street and tell me how many of them have us cellular.. ok...and then came back to me...
52. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
In the midwest, you'll actually find a significant amount of people who have US cell. Obviously they're not nearly the majority, and St. Louis is AT&T's backyard, but they are pretty big for a regional carrier which up until now didn't have any compelling Android phones. Hell, my two friends only dropped them eventually because when we did comparison shopping the smartphone issue popped up and AT&T was the only carrier that offered acceptable coverage at their lake cabin.
63. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
we are in the major leagues.. where only 4 carriers rule.... sorry I dont watch the minor leagues... Sniggly.. good for you supporting those little engines that could.....
72. Whateverman (Posts: 3150; Member since: 17 May 2009)
US Cellular is big in Illinois. The biggest mistake you can make about them is that they are just another regional carrier. That's they are tied for number one with VZW in this area. If you were to poll 20 people in Chicago, 4 or 5 people would probably have a US Cellular phone. They're no Cricket.
78. dago (Posts: 4; Member since: 12 Apr 2010)
Illegal aliens dont have a social to get VZW, thats why 5 out 20 have US Cellular.
82. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
News flash: to be on a billed carrier you need to be able to pass a credit check. To pass a credit check you need a social security number. To get a social security number you need US citizenship.
Illegal aliens can't be on a postpaid plan with US Cell as a result.
100. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
They can in store with $150 dep with a Matricual Consular
104. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
you dont' have to be a citizen to have a social
83. Whateverman (Posts: 3150; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Yeah, I can see how you would think that, with Chicago, Illinois being so close to the border and all! Dago, you know that wasn't right. Com'on man, be better than that.
88. Scuba_Steve (Posts: 79; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
Just to make a point, hispanics aren't the only ones who are illegal. There are much more illegals coming from up top than from the bottom. They just get away with it easier.
89. Whateverman (Posts: 3150; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Excellent point, but I never specified which border. Either way, I'm glad you said that because some people act as though the term "illegal immigrants" is reserved exclusively to our neighbors to the south. But we know that's not true!
106. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
wow Illinois.. one state out of 50.. yep is growing...
109. Whateverman (Posts: 3150; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Dude, you gotta do some studying upon the industry.
101. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
U.S. Cellular has amazing coverage, great plans, no contracts after the first, reward programs, and award winning customer service that acctually services the customer lol
12. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
More and more proof that I was 100 percent right about how Apple treats its business partners. It's only saved from the label of extortion due to the voluntary nature of such agreements. I'll have to settle for the label "price gouging."
14. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
when you reach you have the number one selling device 3 years in a row... you have to..is all business .. things I doubt you would understand... you can be sucessful and be happy happy with everyone.... kudos to Apple... they dont want another copycat Samsung part 2
19. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
hugh hefner is very sucessfull.... and is very greedy.. donald trump... is also in that category... moral to the story is....
20. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
that you never have a point with your rambling?
22. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
i could explain but you wouldnt understand.. but google succesful business...
43. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
your right.. i wouldnt understand if you explained it. I have a feeling NO ONE would understand ANYTHING you explained.. lol. good lord.
64. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
so why then you say that I say stupid things.... hmmmm .. nice try remix... for not understanding..you reply in most of my post... hmmmm make up your mind.. do you or dont you. understand me.....
21. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1442; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
according to your logic to be successful you must also be greedy...great morals bro /golfclap
23. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
well look at my examples and tell me they are not sucessfull.. and add steve jobs to that list... you see a pattern.... I do.... not the most charitable people in the world but were sucessfull.. now you show me your list...
44. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Bill Gates is giving the bulk of his BILLIONS away to charity. He is giving multitudes more away than steve jobs was even worth.
65. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
care to give a link on where all this charities please....
91. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
What planet are you on that you dont know that Bill Gates stepped down as head of MS because he created his own Foundation to give away the bulk of his fortune to those that need it more???
He is keeping a few billion for himself and to dole up among his kids, and giving the bulk of his fortune to those that show they need it.
That is a good man right there.. not a greedy shyt bag like SJ.
107. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
ahh I meant other charities not run by him.... since you mention charitieS...
and since you seem to know about his foundation.. tell me who gets benefited.. and is a a national foundation?... please
30. Pdubb (Posts: 234; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
You do realize Hugh Hefner is pretty much just a figure head now is not very successful (in that he waited too long to make the digital leap) with magazine subscriptions anymore and Trump is pretty much a caricature/buffoon these days. I would not want to compare anything on the come up to those two at the moment. They are on the down side of the hill.
41. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
And Steve Jobs is dead... but the point is that the were sucessful...they started something... and made it big.. and they were a**holes to many people... wow.. i feel like i am talking to kindergartens...
61. ojdidit84 (Posts: 162; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
lol Donald Trump?!?! You had me until Trump. Worst example ever. He's filed for bankruptcy FAR too many times to take seriously.
66. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
ok... now.. but 5 years ago... hmmmm is like Blackberry... now there almost extinct.. but 5 years ago they were on top of the game...... dont play idiot.... even though you do it well... please dont...
37. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I would try to give a retort, but I honestly have no friggin clue what you just said.
53. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I mean that I can't counter what you said, Gallito, because I couldn't understand what you were trying to argue.
67. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
well for not understanding me.. i sure get lost of replys... from you and remix... hmmmmm... it was funny months ago.. they way I write.. but in Nov?... please come with another excuse or dont reply to me....
92. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
gallito, we could NEVER understand you, but like most people we tried not to point it out at first to be nice.
But you have turned into an A-hole, and actually gotten worse...at....typ..ing...
26. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
So 2 carriers of hundreds said no. Are the 100's of carriers working with Apple proof you're completely wrong and a buffoon?
Love this logic from you.
38. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Nope. Just proof that some companies are simply more willing to be taken to the cleaners because they can still eke out some kind of profit. Also, these are the only two carriers so far who have been PUBLIC about their refusal to carry the iPhone. Even companies like Sprint admit that it'll take about 5 years to get a profit out of iPhone customers.
Five. Years. For the third biggest carrier in the United States.
40. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
So are AT&T, Verizon and Vodafone desperate to eak out a profit?
Sprint said in the long run iPhone will be much more profitable to them than android. Sprint has not made a statement it will take 5 years.