Two versions of the Apple iPhone being tested says report, both with 3.999 inch screen
0. phoneArena 23 May 2012, 17:12 posted on
According to 9to5Mac, Apple is currently testing two different versions of the Apple iPhone, both said to have a screen coming in at a hair under 4 inches; there is also talk about iOS 6 containing a sixth row of icons on the home screen of the iconic smartphone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1217; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
There are too many rumors bout this for it not to be true.
Bravo, iPhone. About time.
22. nak1017 (Posts: 328; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
So anyone going to say something about Apple copying Android?
Can we finally stop talking about one company copying another?
49. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
you started and you're right....it is very obvious that Apple is copying Android:
statusbar, size, more accounts, notifications, maps, ....
iOS will be the 2nd forever, bro ;)
but still worse than Android.....iOS has just stopped innovations and is about 1-2 years behind Android
40. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
honestly where where you last year? I mean we even had a case of the redesigned iPhone 5 nothing was true
67. theNewDanger (Posts: 5; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
There were a lot of Spring, Summer, and Fall rumors about that tear drop design coming out in last October's iPhone release, too. It's dumbfounding how people surmise that because there is mass churn in duplicative rumors that those claims must be fact.
2. Tjey007 (Posts: 86; Member since: 22 May 2012)
i dont know but seems iphone 5 wont shine this time unless they produce something EXTRA..so far i havent seen any EXTRA.
13. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
So far u haven't seen jack, the phone isn't out yet dummy.
24. Tjey007 (Posts: 86; Member since: 22 May 2012)
you know what sheep...we all know that what apple is capable of and what maximum they can produce..there is no steve anymore as he could only worked on its design and god called him...maximum they can do is to wear it a premium dress and put a apple logo on it..thats it...from inside it will be always a boring iOS...get over it.
57. E.N. (Posts: 2584; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Wait for the phone to be announced before you start criticizing. Otherwise you look kinda silly.
3. poojaroy (Posts: 52; Member since: 29 Apr 2012)
never gona buy apple i phone it sucks..1st they said 3.5 inch screen is best and handy above 3.5 inch is useless n difficult to use....than y now increasing the screen size.we r not gona buy ur s**t ne more because wen i was buying phone i was confused btw iphone 4 and galaxy s2 but wen i heard frm apple 3.5 is best in hands galaxy s2 is more than 3.5 and will b uncomfortable.....fok u apple not gona buy this time
7. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
let me get this straight you are mad at Apple for incresing the screen size and most likely buy an Android with a bigger screen.. yes sir. you are a winner....
9. Birds (Posts: 1150; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
ROFL. I like your argument only because it is sooooo stupid it is legit.
37. lsutigers (Posts: 817; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
You should invest in grammar lessons instead of a new phone.
60. uzairkhan1994 (Posts: 17; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
typical android fan.... dnt hve ur mind straight but would never stop criticizing apple
4. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I can see it now........ "Introducing the all new iPhone, with a larger than life 4 inch screen with retina display. With a screen this big blah blah blah..... " people will think it is a new and exclusive thing to have a large screen and sell millions. Do something innovative this time please!!! And no Siri and Facetime don't count cuz if we count that we have to count HTC's dumb little kickstand thing...
5. Commentator (Posts: 3570; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
This would have been acceptable (for me, anyways) on the iPhone 4S, and I would've given picking one up much more consideration. As it stands now, though, I think Apple may be too little too late. For the last two years, the iPhone has competed not by screen size, but by screen quality, and its IPS display always bested Android offerings in terms of both pixel count and pixel density. With the introduction of 720p Android screens, however, everything changed. I don't think the iPhone has a competitive advantage in screen technology any more. On the contrary, they are at a major disadvantage to the likes of 720p S-LCD2 and SAMOLED screens.
25. ph00ny (Posts: 988; Member since: 26 May 2011)
isn't S-LCD2 just another branded version of IPS panel?
31. Commentator (Posts: 3570; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It may be a different brand of IPS display but every review I've read ranks it above the iPhone's display.
28. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
Ask any consumer what the hell any of that means and I bet you 90% will have no clue. The general public doesn't care about any of that stuff...which is why Apple does so well. They show people what they can do with their phones and how it can help/change their lives. You can't cell a consumer device on specs that regular folks don't understand.
For you, absolutely too little, too late. But there is a reason the iPhone is the most popular smartphone (not operating system) out there...and it isn't because Apple Fans choose to buy it or Android Fan choose not too...it's because the general public does...
34. Commentator (Posts: 3570; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
But how long will that Apple loyalty last in the general public? Again, up until VERY RECENTLY the iPhone could stand toe-to-toe with any Android device, display-wise. However, anybody will tell you that a 720p screen is better than a 640p screen objectively, no matter what Apple tells them. I would bet you that 90% of consumers know that more pixels = better display.
PS: I'm not arguing that Apple does a good job telling consumers what an iPhone is good for, so please don't change the subject. My arguments address purely the issue of display quality. If you want to talk about how great the iPhone is as a whole, take it to some other article.
54. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
that's the thing tho...general public could care less about 720p, S-LCD2, SAMOLED. these are all termanologies that apply to the "techie" community. you could bring a 1080p screen but if that person's interest level on that feature is a 2 out 10 (10 being most interested)...it doesn't really matter. i think that's what JeffDaBeat was getting at. to talk about iPhone's screen clarity as a basis of losing a competitive edge when that's not the main (if any) reason people buy has no bearing b/c its not a relevant factor in the buying process to 85% of those users. Apple realizes that the population of users who don't care about those types of tech specs is larger than those who are concerned about intricate details like SAMOLED screens. so to have "last years" features is not Apple just being Apple, its about not losing their universal appeal w/their mobile platforms. you can't have a screen comparison argument about a phone when that's not a part of the majorities buying motive.
6. RCMizK3w1 (Posts: 15; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
3.999 inches = Marketing technique by Apple
8. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
This is Apple in a couple of months-
" What weve done with the NEW iPhone is something fantastic and groundbreaking. We have made the screen .4' bigger witch makes it better for game play and movie watching"
" And the display is so much beautiful, BETTER THAN ANY OTHER PHONE"
" Now thats REVOLUTIONARY"
16. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1708; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Don't forget now with 5 tiles, THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
26. ph00ny (Posts: 988; Member since: 26 May 2011)
We put our fruit logo on the back!!!!
That changes everything
10. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Not even 720p, the sheep should be disappointed, but they'll still buy it because it's made by Apple.
11. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
First off, phone arena mobile app is working flawlessly thanks! Lol
Secondly, I hope they make the iPhone a lil wider along with it being taller. I'll be sticking with apple until windows 8 settles in around fall 2013.
15. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Apple said 3.5" display is best fit in your palm, so don't change it.
27. ph00ny (Posts: 988; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It wasn't the size of the palm.
One finger operation was the reasoning behind the 3.5" screen
19. Commentator (Posts: 3570; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
They have more ground to cover than they're aiming for. When the iPhone 4 was launched, 960x640 was an amazing resolution. When the iPhone 5 is launched, 1136x640 will be behind the curve. If nothing else, consumers know that more pixels=better.
21. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
As long as it reaches the ppi threshold to be a retina display it doesn't matter
41. Commentator (Posts: 3570; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Um, it certainly DOES matter. A 1" display with 240x240 resolution is technically a retina display, would you say that's just as good as any other retina display?
52. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Your making an argument on screen size a preference not pixels. It doesn't matter if the screen is 720p or what it is currently because the human eye can't distinguish the difference. If you wan't to make an argument for a bigger screen needing more pixels I agree but the iPhone doesn't have a bigger display. The size of that display users have different preferences towards.
72. theruleslawyer (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
No, its a resolution thing. Number of pixels determines the amount of information you can display on your sceen. PPI just determines if can read it or not. A "retina" screen is great because it looks sharp, but is less useful the smaller it is. Now if you're willing to make the trade of a larger device to display more info- that's a preference.
18. SuperEd (Posts: 132; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Kinda late to the game, Apple. I'm going to stick with my superior Lumio 900. Guess what...i can hammer nails with it!!!
20. Commentator (Posts: 3570; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Yeah... being used as a hammer is nice... but can it be used to block bullets like the Evo 4G apparently can?!?
I hope the Evo 4G LTE is up to the task...
43. Hemlocke (unregistered)
"Superior"? By what metric? The 4s smokes it in every category by large margins, so what would make you think the 2012 model won't be light years ahead of the N9's fat, dim-witted brother?
23. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
As usual a bunch of angry trolls comment. I'll keep my iPhone with it's 96% user satisfaction rate.
36. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Is that how you know you will keep a phone, based upon what everyone else does??
47. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You're a follower you've gone with the masses by picking android
53. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
No I picked Android because I wanted a 4G Lte phone and I'm on Verizon so by default Android was my only choice. Maybe Apple should try using modern technology rather than outdated 3G radios. Btw that wasn't the only factor that went into my decision, it was just one of the features that I had to have in my phone.
58. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Why do you "need" 4G. Eating up the marketing?
64. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
because 3G on Verizon is slow as hell. thats why.
coming from the troll who touts group opinions like satisfaction rates and "magical properties"... it rings hollow that your trying to pick on someone else for following advertising.
69. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is weird that statement coming from someone who rather use 3g than to use a cellphone with a snapdragon chipwhich is LTE compatible... hmmm
70. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
1) no interest in LTE. Not on the carrier I use, not any faster than HSPA+ 42 in my area, and eats a ton of battery life which HSPA+ does not.
2) i would rather use a certain chipset over a certain radio. Real life performance beats hypothetical high speeds any day of the week
3) what the hell does a chipset preference have to do with following advertisements and group thinking? i didnt know there were a lot of advertisements about the difference between exynos and S4.
I expect better trolling from you, and im not getting it. your a disappointment.
71. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Here we go again. HSPA is not as fast as LTE.
Why do you have a total disregard for facts?
62. kach22 (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
.. and grazes in the mountain plains with my folks.
63. kach22 (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
... and will graze in the mountain plains with my folks.
29. skymitch89 (Posts: 1263; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Just have to wait and see what Apple actually comes out with before we can put out opinion out on it. I actually think that it's wise for Apple to increase the screen size on the iPhone and have heard quite a few people say that 3.5in is too small and that 4in is the perfect size.
32. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
cook - "And you may be asking yourself.. how could we possibly improve on iOS5 with its androi...errr revolutionary and never before seen magical drop down notifications? Well, we've increased the screen size and changed the aspect ratio to match andro.... err.. to create a new way of viewing! Introducing apples napkin patented, definitely not exactly like the SGS3's viewing aspect but smaller, "iWidescreen"!! "
(taco and gallito pass out from the excitement, and then wake up to mass troll the boards and tell everyone how apple came out with it first, its magical, and how apple should sue samsung for clearly copying them on the aspect ratio)
38. AndrewRamirez (Posts: 26; Member since: 24 Apr 2012)
3.999 : Because 4 inches is too mainstream.
Another patent from Apple. Congratulations.
Let the suing for other upcoming 3.999" smartphones begin! :D
39. BattleBrat (Posts: 1383; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Damn, lotta apple hate in here! I love my iTouch, it is an awesome media player, but one of my biggest gripes has been the screen ratio. There are always these black bars at the top and bottom, and when you are using a 3.5" screen you can't afford black bars (Yes I know I can go full screen, but then you lose some of the image) Though I usually use my RAZR to watch video (That AMOLED screen is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!, Trust me you cannot tell its pentapixel when you are watching it, it looks better than my iTouch 4ths screen by far!) I'm GLAD apple is going 16:9 and I hope the device stays roughly the same size (I thought the 4s was a little long)
46. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Yes, but will it blend? That's what iPhones do best..
48. Boti95 (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Sep 2010)
Holy carp you guys! 3.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 hahah
50. xtian1103 (Posts: 363; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
holy "carp" lol! what did you smoke lately?