Tweet shows that wooden backs are still coming to Moto Maker
0. phoneArena 04 Nov 2013, 18:05 posted on
If you have your heart set on one of those wood backed Motorola Moto X units, don't worry; while these unique looking handsets have been delayed and aren't currently available from the Moto Maker web site, a tweet from serial leaker evleaks shows four different wood backed models of the Moto X that the reliable source had previously tipped. Back in September, the serial leaker said that the subsidized price of the Moto X wold be cut in half...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2741; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I think they've really dropped the ball on this one.
3. sprockkets (Posts: 846; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
He says that for everyone except Apple, OBVIOUSLY.
4. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Well, at least Motorola gives the option to change backplates...
5. downphoenix (Posts: 2134; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
he is sorta right, this should have been available much sooner, both the Moto Maker for those other than AT&T, as well as the wood backings.
7. sprockkets (Posts: 846; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Sure. Let's just ignore the fact that
1. It's a new factory going online
2. thus you are not sure yet of how many custom phones you can make so you play it safe and only allow one OEM to have custom phones
3. Wood needs to also be made properly or over time it becomes an RF blocker, thus the delay over availability.
8. downphoenix (Posts: 2134; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
To be fair to Motorola, they are the 1st maker to do this, however
1) Its not an excuse if its a "new factory". If the timing was going to take as long as it did, the launch should have been delayed.
2) See one.
3) If it blocks the signal, then maybe they shouldnt offer wood as an option, or design the phone to where it wont. In any case though, if its a ways off before it can be offered, dont make a promise that it will be available soon, if its not soon.
12. sprockkets (Posts: 846; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
1) You can't work out kinks or ramp up without actually starting production
2) see 1
3) Better this than the stupid issue with the iphone4 and denying it exists.
6. GeekMovement (Posts: 1490; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Personally I think it's still a fine offering; they just shouldn't charge extra for the wooden back since it's so late.
9. 14545 (Posts: 975; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I don't understand the point of wood on a phone. JMO, but I don't get it.
10. DimitriTech (Posts: 22; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
I personally like it.. I think the wood just makes a phone more than a phone.. more like a pendant or charm.. anyways.. im a hipster and a native american.. wood is cool. Too bad I already bought the Nexus 5 though. I called the manufacturer to see if they had the wooden backs but said no, so i passed on this phone.
11. 14545 (Posts: 975; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I guess to each their own. Also, I'm 1/8(IIRC) cherokee. My great grandmother was 100%, so whatever that works out to be removed by. I guess for the same reasons you are into it, i'm not. For instance, I don't wear jewelry of any kind. So I can see how someone who like things of that nature(not saying one should or shouldn't like those things, just a general observation) would be into a wooden backed phone.