Trio of Apple patents getting re-examined by USPTO
0. phoneArena 21 Aug 2013, 21:44 posted on
The USPTO has decided to agree with three anonymous requests and reexamine three Apple patents; all three are being used by Apple against Samsung in court with one of the patents also being used in court against Motorola. According to a published report, two of the patents are design patents. One of the two was used by Apple in its patent trial against Samsung last year...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
The third challenger is none other than Gaben... Half-Life 3 Confirmed!!!
13. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 366; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Wait...What??? Not sure I follow your thought process - perhaps this?
2. Tux_Alan (Posts: 74; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
Why bother? Us government will stand for apple no matter the ruling...
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9848; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I actually think these patents are getting invalidated. If there was a patent already in Japan and five prior art challenges against the third patent, Apple can say goodbye to the patent and possibly the win on the trial case.
8. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Yup-per. Say goodbye to your patents, Apple. $1 billion got reduced to what, $600 million? It is going to get reduced even further. I wonder if Sammy ends up paying Apple a dime?
11. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Even if Samsung pays Apple a few $100 mil, the amount of exposure this lawsuit brought to their phones was astounding. Apple's tactics severely backfired, and continue to do so as things like this keep coming up.
Hard to say Samsung lost when their Galaxy phones became the first one to heavily compete with the iPhone on the sales front.
9. joey_sfb (Posts: 4354; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Apple should refocus their primary effort in engineering instead of suing Samsung their primary suppliers. To me it just don't make business sense.
3. 1113douglas (Posts: 193; Member since: 04 Jul 2013)
apple has to stop with this nonsense. Samsung has created a phone(s) better than apple will ever create, and they just have to except it. Apple is taking the patents way to seriously. If anyone copied anyone apple copied samsung. Every iphone that comes out just adds the newest features of the s4 and android os.
12. McLTE (Posts: 749; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
the fact of the matter is that everyone "copies" everyone. And I'm getting tired of that word.
You can't look at any successful product today and not see parts that were plucked from other products.
This happens all over technology - features in GPS units, TV's, audio equipment.. they all race to match each other in specs and features. If someone comes out with XYZ super feature, it's pretty much a guarantee that all the other big names will follow suit shortly.
The idea that Apple thinks they can get away with patenting a rectangular phone with rounded corners is INSANE and horribly arrogant.
I can't imagine any TV manufacturer trying to patent the shape of a TV.. or auto manufacturers patenting the shape of a car at the most basic form.
4. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Apple will soon be defeated! Oh wait, they have already been defeated, and they can't accept the truth! And now they're playing with this kiddy patents. Smh.
5. razmahtaz001 (Posts: 33; Member since: 11 May 2013)
if these 3 patents dont get de-patentized, then for sure there is "home-court" conspiracy going on...WE DONT NEED NO STINKING CONSPIRACY!!!
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9848; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Apple has zero chance of winning this. Five prior art challenges and a patent already in Japan for design? Say goodbye to winning the trial next year.
10. tedkord (Posts: 7364; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I love reading Meuller's site when these things come up. He tries to hide his butthurt, but it comes through.
14. ZeroCide (Posts: 722; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
I'm glad to see that the inside person apple had at the USPTO is probably gone. Alot of the patents that apple filed for and got were complete BS with prior art existing.
15. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Signs of a power struggle at the patent office?
18. donfem (Posts: 575; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Would love to see the face of the foreman of the jury which awarded the ridiculous victory to apple. :)
16. tomn1ce (Posts: 119; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
It would be nice if the USPTO get their act together when examining patents before putting the seal of approval on them....
17. donfem (Posts: 575; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Where are the appleboys? First to talk about Samsung "copying" yet unwilling to see the idiocy in the original patent revolving around design.
19. donfem (Posts: 575; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
By the way, the manufacturer of the first car should have patented that design, sit back and milk every other car manufacturer to the end of this world. :)