Torture chamber: surprising HTC One (M8) drop, scratch and water resistance tests are here
0. phoneArena 26 Mar 2014, 03:26 posted on
The new HTC One (M8) doesn't sport any water-resistance certification, yet it survived dunked in a shallow pool of the liquid for quite a long time without any apparent damage to the internals, including the Duo Camera, which remained fully operational. We doubt that HTC wouldn't advertise if the phone had some sort of waterproofing abilities, so we'd chalk the achievement to the tight unibody chassis, which makes it harder for anything to get in...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 248; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
OMG so retarded #4 is HTC One(M7), but renamed to M8...
8. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
But how is this possible ?!?
Nooo...samsung fanboys, with their broken hearts will have something less to complain and TROLL about. Well at least now they have plenty of BAND AID to help cover and protect those wounds.
11. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 248; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
Are you referring to my post, because if you are.. you have another thing coming my friend.. I'm not a fanboy or slave to a brand.. :)
16. AstronautJones (Posts: 295; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Aren't you kind of trolling Samsung "fanboys" by bringing them up in an HTC post?
18. papss (unregistered)
Oh like they won't come anyways..
17. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Yes and is cell htc no is sell no one buys. Why dont people buy nokia or htc :( why people buy samsung and apple :( life is so unfair mr troll :(
21. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
publicity is a big media
apple is pure hype
samsung gives superior screen cpu gpu ram
24. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1870; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I have to say to the general consumers Apple and Samsung are pure hype. Two big names that people would just buy it without thinking about it. I'm not saying those two companies don't put out good product, but in fact they both do. However, there are so many different options out there right now that people don't consider about.
26. phonetekmek (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
The only thing "retarded" is someone who thinks it's acceptable to use that term!
3. UglyFrank (Posts: 1201; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
I don't know why people have started to test phones which aren't waterproof
23. Commentator (Posts: 3163; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Apparently it worked out in the end this time.
4. alterecho (Posts: 1096; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
If only it weren't for the unwieldy size.
7. vincelongman (Posts: 3136; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I'd laugh if the M8 Mini is the same size as the M7
22. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
true oversized huge 5 inch that looks like a n3 and why so looong and tall
5. Sauce (unregistered)
Did anyone else cringe in pain at 1:01 on Video 3 lol? Eeeek
6. Zack_2014 (Posts: 164; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Would have been great if you could give away that phone to me. #ShinynewHTC
9. najib1312 (Posts: 106; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Are these people sadists? How could they torture such a beauty??
I never get this much disturbed when i watch humans get tortured in Hollywood movies i.e. Saw, Hostel etc :P
10. Killua (Posts: 270; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
The drop test a bit lower than usual but it's clear that the build quality is superb. Too bad the features don't give much. Btw, it's quite big for a 5 inch phone.
12. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
These are very stupid tests. Why would someone scratch it with knife & knock it with hammer?
Try scratching the ferrari, will the ferrari still flawless? No matter how expensive the device is, it can be damaged
13. wando77 (Posts: 649; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
"We won't spoil the fun". You then tell us exactly how it does in the tests....... Sloppy
15. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 558; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
In the water test they should check the BoomSound and the mic if it is still working because that part has the most openings.
20. baldilocks (Posts: 643; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
Water was getting in. The air bubbles gave that away. Something will stop working soon.
28. punet (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Not really. The internal components heat up the air inside. The increased volume pushes the extra air out through the headphone jack.
25. newbey123 (Posts: 519; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
HTC M8 just went BOOM! Water resistant is such a gimmick they don't even advertise that its water resistant. Best android of the year! You killed it HTC.
27. punet (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Amazing results! The best we can expect from these materials. Aluminum is a soft metal. Higher grade materials like magnesium, titanium, DLC (diamond like coating), or hi-tech ceramics will definitely give better results in the scratch tests, but for a higher cost.
29. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
There's a reason why htc isn't calling it it waterproof, there have been plenty of phones that haven't been certified to be waterproof but servived but will it have long term effect, sure there may not be any immediate damage but what about a month later or 2. Will it survive the 10th time it gets dropped In water etc etc.. Lol I've been seeing on so many sites people showing this video that it's waterproof. Use common sense people don't you think if htc could guarantee its waterproofness they would use it.
30. mrguy (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
i didnt think it would last against that water test. something had to stop working with those internals
31. paceman (Posts: 4; Member since: 23 May 2013)
The water test is clearly fake! why should he turn the camera from the starting point? the phone is also turning. Overheating camera, what? ha ha! And in the end you can clearly see the screen flicker. No this is so fake. I like the phone but I can not stand fake videos.
32. graylaw84 (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 May 2014)
im not gonna argue about the video but the waterproof is not fake.
34. Lord.belial (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Jul 2014)
Fantastic phone but screen is very easy to scratch. I'm very disappointed. I have to light scratches and one deeper one after just a month of normal use.
36. wiscojoe (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Oct 2014)
Don't let this article get you over-confident about any supposed water-resistant features of the HTC One M8. I accidentally went snorkeling (I stayed less than one meter under water) in salt water with the M8 in my pocket and it is completely fried.