Tim Cook says Apple won't open more retail stores for Thanksgiving so workers can be with family
1. alpinejason (Posts: 262; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
Tim is just trying to maximize profit that's all
6. downphoenix (Posts: 3155; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
if he was trying to maximize profit, he would have them open for the sales instead of waiting until Friday. Good to see he isnt a totally heartless CEO unlike some out there like Walmart's CEO. Walmart will be open ALL DAY on Thanksgiving now, first time in history they've ever done it.
37. jroc74 (Posts: 5996; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
You do realize some companies pay their workers extra per hour for days like that? I think its called a premium day. Some pay extra for weekends too.
The devil is always in the details. One job I had contracting for the govt, we came in the day after Christmas for an audit, and it was a Sunday.
That was a nice time and 1/2 day...
42. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Walmart doesn't pay their workers anything extra for working Thanksgiving. Nothing at all. Just another work day to them. Its a well known fact. Walmart is one of the cheapest companies to work for. They pay what's called "poverty wages". And I know I few people who work there. The devil is indeed in the details.
9. ghaniosman (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
from when did an Apple CEO started thinking about human employees?
19. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Most likely he's not. It's just a nice spin to say " we tried it last year and lost money on it... Not worth trying again". It's not like they have massive black Friday sales going on so people won't really care that they are open or closed.
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 20046; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Look who's back, where've you been bro?
43. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Hey guys! lol
I've been here reading articles and such, that never stopped, but I've been busy doing my RN stuff. Got into neurosurgery then I transferred to psych because it paid a lil more and was tad more interesting. :) So I've been busy learning new crap left n right.
Nice to see most of the people are still here. :)
33. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Then why does Samsung keep releasing the Mini Version of their flagships devices?... welcome back
41. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10439; Member since: 14 May 2012)
remixfa? Wtf? Where have you been man!
35. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Well they did put up nets for those jumpers a few years ago. That has to count as an employee benefit.
2. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
At least he have a kind heart bout thanksgiving when retail giants have to work on thanks giving day. of course i'll miss the meal and the game when the greedy shoppers or our executives/mngrs don't work on thanks giving day when the rest of us have to :(
3. tedkord (Posts: 10647; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Bravo, Mr. Cook. Just one more example of how you're a better human being than your predecessor.
5. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
He also brought back charity matching, something Steve killed off, even when they were making massive profits. It's nice to see a more human approach from Apple now that Tim is CEO.
4. JewBakaUCFG (Posts: 173; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
If it was really about family then no stores would be open on Thanksgiving. Also, what do they have to worry about? Not opening more stores will have no bearing on profit loss. Third party retailers will still be selling Apple products and some for less or with bonuses. A company like Apple should realistically be able to sit back and watch the dough roll in regardless of having stores open or not on Thanksgiving day.
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 20046; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I have a 4 day wknd. Leftovers, QT with the mrs, and hella sports.
8. oNEWorld (Posts: 140; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
you must be from the west coast. either Utah or Cali lol
12. darkkjedii (Posts: 20046; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Vegas baby lol. I lucked out, thanksgiving and family day off regularly scheduled days are sat-sun.
32. oNEWorld (Posts: 140; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
at least u get warm weather! on Sunday our high is 29° coldd :"(
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 20046; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Steelers, we suck this year though lol.
10. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Tim is so full of crap!!!
The only reason why he is doing it, is because everyone is buying and waiting for the Nokia Lumia 1520.
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 20046; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
R.I.P. (R)eally (I)nnovative (P)roduct. iPhone lol.
26. darkkjedii (Posts: 20046; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That was a good comeback though, you gotta admit lol.
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 20046; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
FF LOL. He didn't see that one coming lol.
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10439; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm working Thanksgiving and Black Friday, but I prefer it since I get paid overtime on top of getting paid next Friday. Hello paycheck!
17. 14545 (Posts: 1468; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I worked black friday once, and no amount of money is ever worth dealing with the jerkoffs that come out of the woodwork on that day. Which now that I have an actual engineering job our facilities are closed thursday and friday. Also, Christmas eve and day. So I don't ever want another hourly job.
20. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
No longer in retail. Sleeping in on Friday. Going to love every minute of it. Lol
38. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
same here you're not the only one have to work those days. i have to work 6 DAYS straight
16. 14545 (Posts: 1468; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I rarely say good things about Apple, but this is the right move. Regardless of what their retail partners do, ones that they have no control over. He should have closed the others that were already planned to be open though.
21. o0Exia0o (Posts: 895; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
I wonder if Tim is going to extend this courtesy to the sweat shop workers in China also?
30. Ninetysix (Posts: 2340; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
You can start by not buying anything made in China. Oh wait..too late :( Almost 100% of your PC parts are made in sweat shops in China. Shame on you..
36. rightcue805 (Posts: 55; Member since: 08 Jul 2013)
what about the pc or mac that you are using?
22. silencer271 (Posts: 254; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
lol he will make more money by closing on thanksgiving. Not about family about saving that day of wages.
24. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 230; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
Sorry, ...BUT the APPLE gulags are always open 24/7/365 !!!!
40. bucky (Posts: 2472; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Regardless, it's giving people some time off.