Tim Cook defends iPad mini and reiterates that Apple "would never make a 7" tablet"
0. phoneArena posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:11
When the iPad Mini was announced, Apple haters everywhere started tossing around the quote from Steve Jobs saying that Apple would never make a 7" tablet. Well, Tim Cook has decided to address those complaints, and reiterate that Apple will "never make a 7" tablet"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Savage posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:15 39 1
Basically an iPad Mini doesn't mean to compete with 7" tablets. It means to compete with 7.9" tablets. As said by Tim Cook.
3. MichaelHeller posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:16 27 1
I'm sure that Cook would probably just say that the iPad mini is in a class of its own. Remember, he has some really good marketing guys writing his talking points for him.
6. Savage posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:23 22 1
Oh absolutely! I have full faith in Apple's marketing team. Just not that much faith in Apple itself :)
10. mas11 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:31 10 1
Boy genius ads and that crazy physics commercial? I have more faith in what's trendy.
16. Savage posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:40 2 1
Its on a decline just like Apple. But isn't that what Apple is renowned for? Their marketing department. Imagine how painful it is to put big words to describe every small thing Apple puts each year on iDevices.
38. someones4 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:58 3 0
Apple's marketing people must have been to the confession booth countless times....
43. Nadr1212 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:05 0 0
how you think's a whole different league, Steve.
Plus, i thought you guys liked making money?
14. infernal88 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:38 6 1
so can we say with a year old device like galaxy tab 7.7 ?
29. MartyK posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:20 3 1
And you guys are going to let them get away with this?...
Well, Samsung GS3 is not competing with HTC XL, cause Samsung is only competing against phone with S3's in their name. Thus, please stop doing your (P.A.)comparisons...hahah
34. someones4 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:40 0 0
their marketing guys still loses out to samsung's. even their execs say dumb things
50. EspHack posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:38 1 1
yea it is in the class of 4:3 useless and unconfortable aspec ratio
31. OptimusOne posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:27 7 1
theres only one 7.7 tablet i know and it is the galaxy tab 7.7. that device kills the ipad mini with its amoled screen.
33. KingKurogiii posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:32 8 1
at first when i saw people comparing the 7.7 to the Mini i was like "that's kind of silly, that's a pretty old tablet now" but then when i really thought about it the 7.7 does actually have better specs. xD
39. gallitoking posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:00 3 9
if you go by screen alone than the ipad kills all other tablets would you agree
41. KingKurogiii posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:02 6 0
why? the new iPad is pretty beast in the display department but the Mini is seriously lacking there.
2. wendygarett (limited) 6 days ago posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:16 6 37
Please stop hating fandroid, just because your tablet can't make it as 7.2mm slim as iPad... It is actually a nice premium product tho
9. hung2900 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:31 39 3
A year old GTab 7.7 is 7.6m slim, with a higher resolution and still premium material
17. wendygarett (limited) 6 days ago posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:40 4 35
That doesn't mean you can keep hating tho, try to respect each other
36. CivicSi89 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:44 11 0
i am an equal oppertunity person. love all things tech. This is an ipad 2 with a smaller screen that apple is touting as something special. IT ISNT. that price writes a check that that tablet cant cash. point blank.
37. CivicSi89 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:46 7 0
and you know you are getting desperate when you have to point out that .9 of an inch make your tablet better than everyone elses. thats just childish. Then again. we are talking about Apple here. The people who invented the rectangle.
42. wendygarett (limited) 6 days ago posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:03 1 3
I never think that my friend :) I just love that aluminium feel that's all
51. CivicSi89 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:45 3 0
61. thelegend6657 posted on 26 Oct 2012, 03:47 0 0
Honda Civic89 : but its cheaper than an ipad 2 making it a bargain
53. AstronautJones posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:54 2 0
Like Apple has been respectful? Abusing the outdated patent system to stifle competition. Insulting the competition with 7" tablets, then releasing basically the same smaller size, THEN claiming its not the same?
Steve Jobs was a jerk, but at least he was consistent. This Cook guy is just nuts!
58. medicci37 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 22:35 0 0
@ wendy Nothing you say makes sense.
4. TooBIG (banned) posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:18 5 5
looks like androids failed because they were .9" too BIG :D
55. joey_sfb posted on 25 Oct 2012, 22:11 0 0
depends on whether you need to put it up your a$$, on my hand its never too BiG!!!
5. KingKurogiii posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:19 5 0
8. gothicheart posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:30 3 0
tim's right, it's not a 7-inch tablet. that would be an insult to other tablets, it's a bigger ipod touch, nothing else...
11. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:34 3 2
technically it was not 7".. its real enemy is galaxy 7.7--which is a perfect size for those who think iPad and 10" android are big and 7" android are small... very handy device..
they just switch the size numbers of the iPad and iPad mini.. 9.7 then 7.9! :D
12. dok2005 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:34 1 1
actually if you go back into the apple vs samsung trials and look into the email where they talk about theres a market in 7inch tablet after trying out the samsung tablet is proof enough to say hey we want to compete in the smaller tablet market and now we are but we want people to buy ours so we go say its so different when its really and older tablet made smaller ha ha ha ha ha ha
13. GeekMovement posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:36 4 0
"And, let me be clear, we would not make one of the seven inch tablets. We don't think they're good products, and we would never make one. Not just because it's seven inches, but for many reasons. One of the reasons, however, is size..."
What a confused idiot. What are the other "many reasons"? He only went on to talk about the size for the rest of the statement.
As far as I'm concerned, 7" 7.9" big deal. If I didn't want a 7" tablet, I'd probably go for the 10". 7.9 is technically still SEVEN INCHES and nine tenths. Congratulations, you made a seven inch tablet, just a little bigger seven inch tablet.
He meant 7.0"? Then he might as well had made an 8.1" tablet.
15. 90ninjas posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:39 0 0
Different aspect ratio.... if they made a 7" iPad mini on a 4:3 aspect ratio.. that would be pretty small.
18. AppleConspiracy posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:44 2 3
I don't see people here are talking about or even aware of aspect ratio, that's far more important than diagonal
itself when it comes to screen real estate.
22. AppleConspiracy posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:56 0 1
Sorry, you wrote it while I was trying to log in and write a comment.
19. chronopc posted on 25 Oct 2012, 18:46 12 0
Apple is so full of sh*t. First they spend years saying that a 3.5" phone is the ideal size for the human hand and that Android phones are too big to be held comfortably. Now they release the iPad Mini and they are saying it's better because it's bigger. Make up your mind Apple.
23. AppleConspiracy posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:06 1 5
Michael H. recently wrote something about stupidness of this kind of comments. In general, you seem to take marketing messages little too seriously and little too literally. Why on earth should Apple make up their mind? Because you hate it, that's why, but that's your problem, not theirs. Companies are not here to tell us the ultimate truth, I really don't know why you think they should. Maybe you just don't have any sense of critical thought.
32. chronopc posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:32 3 0
Maybe I need to explain my point since you obvious have problem understanding. My point is that Apple is full of sh*t and that people who buys their products do so just because of the brand. Their phone and tablets are essentially the same generation after generation. Also they only released the iPad Mini because they are afraid of the competition with the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 selling so well. They freaked out to the point where they even released 2 iPads in the same year.
Also it seems like you might be the person who lacks critical thought since your opinion is based on some article that you read.
52. chronopc posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:46 2 0
Apparently PA thinks this post in inappropriate. I'm not allowed to criticize apple products now?
62. AppleConspiracy posted on 26 Oct 2012, 05:41 0 3
You still don't get it, I see.
26. MichaelHeller posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:09 2 2
Yes, Apple! Make up your mind, and never ever change the product once you've decided!
30. Savage posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:26 2 0
You must know something about Apple. They are quite stubborn. When Android started the trend of bigger screens, Apple refused and maintained that 3.5 inches was perfect. That was during iPhone 4. When the iPhone 4S released they came under a lot of criticism for not refreshing the design and the screen was still small compared to other Android flagships. By this time, people got the hang of it and didn't mind operating big screens. Poor Apple could do nothing. Just wait and watch. Now if Apple released another iPhone with 3.5 inches, they would be bashed even more. People would say how Apple refuses to grow and adapt. Apple, who used to always LEAD, who isn't used to FOLLOWING the trend had no choice. Hence came the iPhone 5. Still being bashed for numerous other device faults.
Now lets look at the iPad Mini. Currently its bigger than any other 7" tablet. Apple predicted that everything in Android world grows in size, so the 7" form would grow too, right? Hence, they jumped the steps and directly released an iPad Mini which is bigger than its rivals.
25. techguy22 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:08 1 0
so in apple's book. 7.9 isnt part of the 7 inch tablet. which is one is it Mr Cook ? 7 or 8
45. joey_sfb posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:09 1 0
Apple is too cheap to give it the 0.1 inch to make its mini an 8 inch tablet. They prefer to let cook do the marketing, denying the mini fall under 7".
Talk is cheap!!
27. ckingt4 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:11 1 0
cook is a joke. But I guess that explains why I love my Xyboard 8.2, its in a class of its own, kidding hate the thing. And the surface, I'm excited about it.
28. rob5150 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:19 1 0
Uh. Not sure who was first company to make front wheel drive. But I'm sure there was someone that said never... But... Ya gotta make what the people want. Apple is showing how frigging arrogant they are by talking semantics
35. a961009 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 19:44 0 0
Even though u say like that, I will buy nexus7 because urs is soooo expensive compared to nexus 7
40. someones4 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:00 1 0
This is because tim cook always loses out in p**is measurement contests.
It's ok, tim. A few inches doesn't matter.
44. gallitoking posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:06 0 2
i heard of a Galaxy Tab 7.7 but I called at least 2 electronics stores and the sales people have not heard of such tablet.. was it limited edition?
47. protozeloz posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:25 1 0
If you actually looked you will findithttp://shop.mobileweb.ebay.c
om/searchresults?kw=samsung+gabut there is also the xyboard or whatever it was called laxy+tab+7.7+wifi&cmd=SREF&mfs =GOCLK&acimp=0&isNewKw=true
46. protozeloz posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:20 1 0
Hahahaha XD he needs his own comedy shows then android tablets with 10.1 screens are at a different place than the 9.7 iPad
48. Cyberchum posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:28 0 0
This guy is simply deluded. Tell me, why will you attack a delusional patient knowing fully well that the dummy has been fed with fallacy by his backroom twats.
49. webOSlove posted on 25 Oct 2012, 20:35 2 0
So, tell me again how this is better than the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD 7 ?
and who the hell is Tim Cook to say 7 inch tablets are bad products? Apparently Apple is scared of the 7 inchers because they have just decided to join the 7 inch battle.
54. antmiu2 posted on 25 Oct 2012, 21:02 0 0
they said they would make a bigger screen then 3.5 either
56. networkdood posted on 25 Oct 2012, 22:22 1 0
Wow, now apple is being silly and desperate - the new ipad mini has lower margins than normail iproducts....desperation....
57. networkdood posted on 25 Oct 2012, 22:26 1 0
Never buy products because of a brand, because of the name, as you will buy it for the wrong reasons and that company will simply cease to innovate as they know they can sell whatever product their name is on.