Tick-tock on the clock: Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo roll onto the scene
0. phoneArena 22 Feb 2014, 20:01 posted on
So, now that Samsung has secured some early lead in the smartwatch space with the Galaxy Gear, it's now willing to cement and expand its presence with not just one, but two new smartwatch models...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Grand Neo, Note 3 Neo, Gear 2 Neo. Who the hell named these devices? Nothing neo at all.
2. Topcat488 (Posts: 1392; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Dyam that wild orange one looks Applelicious. Stole that iwatch color they did.
3. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
The iWatch isn't even official yet, plus Apple didn't patent the color, so you can't really say Samsung "stole" the iWatch color. But we all know Apple, they will patent almost everything maybe even colors when they get mad or got kicked in the a**. So, nothing neo about that.
9. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Lol isn't that just so annoying when certain people say someone copies apple when apple don't even have a product in that category.
25. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
isnt it funny that you dont get sarcasm?!. even if it comes with "whatever that little green guy in star wars name was" voice?!
13. Topcat488 (Posts: 1392; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I was just trying to be funny, about that stealing and stuff, sorry... I know the iwatch won't be out until Gear 3 hits the market. Oooops, not funny again, sorry. :)
15. nctx77 (Posts: 1648; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Sammy better hope the I watch doesn't come out till the gear 3 because this ain't cutting it just like the last one.
22. joey_sfb (Posts: 5258; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
How do you know? Have you use one? Or is it because its not from Apple therefore would not ever be cutting it. You just show how narrow minded a apple fan could be.
26. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
i got your sarcasm. but i donno why others dont.
53. bachir8k (Posts: 144; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I just wonder why they just didn't use a curved display? they have the technology, this is very stupid from Sammy, now iwatch will come with curved or flexible display and everyone will say apple brought a new era for smartwatches.
5. maherk (Posts: 3368; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
How many times do you have to use this joke? It's getting lame kiddo.
8. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Ten times and it will still be neo, kiddo.
6. verbalize (Posts: 114; Member since: 03 May 2013)
I will pass... Thank you! I will wait for a watch that gives you some style and decent technology.
29. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Why am I not surprised to find you on a Samsung article?
32. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
"I'm not the same person I was before."
You're right - you aren't. You're worse. Congrats kiddo. You have nothing better else to do...
33. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Thank you, I appreciate your ignorant senseless evaluation to me.
37. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
How old are you? So, you still cry like a kiddo? Oh, okay.
39. rd_nest (Posts: 1578; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
You must be the biggest iDiot in phonearena. It's irritating to look your continuous spamming. Take a break, find some other hobby. Enough of your comments, it was bad an year back, now it's even worse.
47. SleepingOz (unregistered)
He's an attention seeker. He spams almost every article with irrelevant comments.
42. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Don't look at my comments then, it's very simple, just skip my comments since it's irritating you. I'm just standing myself, there's nothing wrong with that. You think I want to post those kind of comments? It's because I have to deal with stalkers like Papasmurf. You think it's very nice to be called a "troll", "kiddo" and now "iDiot" most of the times? I think you will feel the same way if someone calls you that many times. What's the matter, you want me to leave this site? Sorry, I can't, because I'm a tech lover, I love tech. So, go do your own thing.
45. rd_nest (Posts: 1578; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
I wish there was a 'ignore' button. Trust me I have no intention of reading your comments, if I could. But the situation is that I have to read your comments.
4. JMartin22 (Posts: 1889; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Samsung makes very good products... WHEN THEY'RE SERIOUS. With that being said, if they want to be a legitimate and reputablely renowned company like Apple has build up for itself, they need to take their products (that aren't flagship smartphones) more seriously.
They need to cease this ambition of releasing a new flagship and variants on things like this wearables in a short period of time and with marginal improvement. The latter holds true for their smartcamera and tablet segment as well. All of these need to retain prominence, differentiation and significant improvement over their predecessors.
7. maherk (Posts: 3368; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
The ir blaster is a huge plus for me, watchon app on my Note 3 might be the most feature I use, I can jump to my favorite show or game without the hassle of going through the guide, and no need to grab my cable box, tv, and blu ray player's remote, I have them all in my Note 3.
10. esperanza (Posts: 49; Member since: 23 Mar 2013)
Is The wristband exchangeable? Samsung, why your gears don't support wireless charging?
12. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
That is actually the nicest smart watch yet. Still a long ways from a nice bulova or movado but looks the closest to something like say fossil to me.
48. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Yeah, the Gear 2 does look good. Hope it has a good battery life this time.
14. gnppw (Posts: 54; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
Is it confirmed that the neo version will be cheaper than the original one?
19. UglyFrank (Posts: 1553; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
They removed the camera and the metal so you can be sure it will be cheaper
16. willard12 (Posts: 1516; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Since it's running Tizen, why the "Galaxy" branding?
17. maherk (Posts: 3368; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
They aren't Galaxies, gsmarena confirmed that.
20. kumarabhishek591 (Posts: 64; Member since: 22 Feb 2014)
Brace yourselves Galaxy Gear 2, lite, dous, neo, advance, zoom, active coming soon. Samsung s**ks :/
21. onlyman1980 (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
It is Samsung Gear 2 & Gear 2 Neo without "Galaxy"
24. joey_sfb (Posts: 5258; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I may get it for my smart watch collections. Gear 2 for me.
23. jpd514 (Posts: 57; Member since: 08 Nov 2013)
Very Nice and well built Smartwatch. And now Samsung is having his own OS. Is that the beginning of something. Believe YES.
28. camera531 (Posts: 342; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
I was hoping for a more refined design. Looks too much like the original. They should look at Pebble for how to step it up in the design department.
50. phljcnth (Posts: 479; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Does the design really bother you? What you're comparing this with is a non-touchscreen device, with non-colored display, ir blaster, camera, and telephony. How would you want your smartwatch to look like?
54. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I think the pebble steel looks ugly. It looks like a department store watch you can find at target for $15 bucks. Like the knock offs.
This looks like an expensive skater or honger watch. Looks fresh and trendy enough if you can carry that style.
34. iamoa (unregistered)
I hope that doesnt hints us that the galaxy S5 will also be something "or exactly" like the previous versions of Galaxy S series i.e S4 and S3, specially, in terms of design and build quality.
36. Killua (Posts: 270; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
So they finally put it water and dust resistant, that's a great news. I heard they make the battery last longer too despite the downgrade from sammobile.
But since it's tizen, I guess you can't pair it with android phone? Is it a stand alone device? I'm interested but I'm still waiting for more article about this.
38. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 1157; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
I would have preferred a standalone device, just so I can push my smartphone activities to my laptop
51. phljcnth (Posts: 479; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
This is likely still pairable with Android phones like Pebble and other non-Android smartwatches.
41. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
So why would I want to buy this over the first gear? There's really no improvement at all and the design is still identical.
46. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Because people like me never bought the first Gear. Hopefully these will be priced better but I still think they won't hit the magic $100 price point. And maybe this will work with all Android phones to widen the appeal. Would be funny if it worked with an iPhone.
43. raveydavey1967 (Posts: 3; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
April release for these-to come out the same time as a certain phone we might see launched tomorrow?
44. alumoyo (Posts: 344; Member since: 26 Aug 2013)
Warable this, warable that! I remember a time when CELLPHONES were actually "wearable" - you know, back in the day when you could FIT THEM IN YOUR POCKET! There were phones which could fit onside the TINY POCKET in your jeans.
49. superduper (Posts: 151; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
True, lol. The tech media thinks everyone loves Note 3-sized devices, even though they only account for a fraction of total smartphone sales. Someday smartwatches will be too big to wear too. Samsung has already increased the cpu clock speed of the Gear 2. Expect more of the same.
52. GoBears (Posts: 448; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Man you guys can bash the Gear all you want. Just shows how are ignorant you are to the current status of the device. Mine's rooted and running "Null" rom. It's an awesome device that just got a lot of bad press when it was released. The updated gear manager and custom rom have taken care of all the shortcomings and upped battery life to practically two days. I for one cannot wait for Gear 2. It has become my favorite gadget.
55. DnB925Art (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 May 2013)
I might be interested in getting the original Gear if the price goes down a lot when the Gear 2 is launched officially for sale. Can you elaborate on the things you do with it daily (i your experience on it)? Thanks!
59. GoBears (Posts: 448; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Price is already 200 bucks online from ATT which is pretty good. I just really enjoy getting my notifications on my wrist. The new version of Gear Manager allows you to add any apps to the notification list so that's great. What surprised me the most was how much I enjoy taking and making calls on it. The voice texting is great as well. Not to mention it's just damn great to see what time it is without pulling out the phone. I have been overall greatly pleased with the device and wear it much more than I thought I would. Oh yeah, the media manager will play/pause and skip tracks on pandora and the stock music player.
60. DnB925Art (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 May 2013)
I missed out on the $150 one day price special at Best Buy back on the 14th this month. I would love to try the original gear when it goes to $150 or under (1/2 off the original price of $300). If not, I'll check out AT&T.
58. KillgoreTroutTime (Posts: 433; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
I think the Gear is pretty awesome to. I don't have one, but I do like it. If I can use the Gear 2 with my current phone then I will seriously think about buying one.
56. Mrmark (Posts: 262; Member since: 26 Jan 2013)
Wow so the Best Buy rep from Samsung has it right all along... They have to go through training on the products before release.