This iPhone concept video won't become real this year, but it would be awesome!
The phone shown has the same aesthetic as the current iPhone, but has a clear screen. Screens like this have already been demonstrated, the main problem with such a design is that the phone components have to be contained within the top and bottom bezel areas, and chip miniaturization hasn’t progressed to that level yet.
Aside from having a unique look, phones like this will probably appear sooner or later (perhaps Apple will even make one), as they provide several benefits. Along with the easier photographic composition shown in the video, a see-through screen provides for many improved opportunities for augmented reality services, and of course also provides the user with a better view when using the phone while walking.
1. Ubi2447 (Posts: 131; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Never understood the hype with transparent displays. You would still need a thick frame around the screen to house all the hardware. Nifty though. We've also spent the last 5 years getting out color displays to be the sharpest and brightest or most natural over the other guy's. Isn't this going in the other direction?
24. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 650; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Remember the Samsung SmartWindow? Maybe this could be archived by giving the user the opportunity to put up some "blinds" and when u wanna show off, then reveal the transparent screen. Sometimes having choice helps. Oh! This is just my own opinion, nobody should take it personally.
67. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
I agree with you SlimSoulja8.. If there is one company that could be able to do this, it's Samsung, not Apple. Just take a look at this sh*t.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
2. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Never understood the hype with transparent displays."
3. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
im not an apple fanboy but that looks really cool
4. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
This doesn't have anything to do with Apple. In this video guy just express his vision and imagination.
6. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
This reminded me of Xperia Pureness!! it had a transparent screen too
8. Birds (Posts: 1139; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Lol, I heard the dumb retards in the barber shop talking about this video. THey actually think it is the iphone 5. They really don't know what a concept it. I really like it though. lol
10. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
I hear a few girls talking like its the real iphone5 at school too
Damm they look like retarded bitches and they try to sound like experts to other people around
48. TreyTreyTaylor (Posts: 547; Member since: 21 Dec 2010)
Isnt it flippin hilarious? Back in November my cousin said that her co-worker said she had a iphone 4 and that it had that projected keyboard lmfbo. Man was that bitch wrong ;)
60. fernsruben (Posts: 28; Member since: 10 May 2012)
LOL did u notice that at exactly 0.15, the video focuses on the words "Stay Foolish".................Bwahahahaha.................i think it refers exactly to the people ya talkin bout......................................LOL
9. phatride4ever (Posts: 33; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
I am sure it's very easy to read text on a transparent screen. Especially when your background is light, like concrete.......
11. imran_khan0786 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
Its looking good. But it will dificult to read and type. But I still waiting for lumia+pureview+wp8= superb mobile
12. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I love the concept. If anything like this ever came out it would sell like crazy
14. frydaexiii (Posts: 1403; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Yeah, because it's "Oh, so pretty", even though it's impractical to have a transparent screen, "it's so revolutionary"!
16. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Actually it would be a revolutionary design.
It's not impractical to have such a display and people like having things that look nice. You're a little kid. When you get older you'll learn more about having taste.
18. frydaexiii (Posts: 1403; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
So I'm a kid for choosing practicality over form factor?
Wow, either I'm one hell of a matured kid, or you're just one of those dumb adults.
26. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
One you're trolling. Two if you can't see why this would sell I can't help you.
46. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
is that what your mom told you today, troll?
19. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You're on auto troll mode because this isn't even made by Apple
25. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
you're on auto-troll too, just the opposite side
27. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
No I commented on the article and he started trying to troll me and Apple. He was too dumb to realize this isn't made by Apple.
34. frydaexiii (Posts: 1403; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Of cause I realize it isn't made by apple. For apple to make this they'll need someone to copy from and so far no other company has done this on a smartphone yet.
35. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Ya know... I gotta go with taco on this one. A phone like this would boggle people's minds. If Apple or any Android OEM were to come up with the perfect balance of transparency and "viewability" of content on the screen, good build quality, and keep the price down...people will go nuts over that phone! Not saying its possible or even practical. But this kind of phone would have an unbeatable "WOW" factor that would draw a crowd. I say build it... Beta test it... And see what a half techie, half average consumer focus group feels about it. I think both sides would be amazed.
42. nicholassss (Posts: 363; Member since: 10 May 2012)
I'd be really interested in seeing one of these in real life, but on the practicality I have to say todays displays are getting pretty damn nice.
56. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I wonder if you said that too when LG first announce their transparent phone concept...
13. imkyle (Posts: 1051; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
If Android used a transparent display, than no more live wallpapers :( that would be horrible.
17. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Yea cause a phone without live wallpaper is basically DOA
40. jellytime (Posts: 135; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Android is all about the customization, if a Android phone had a transparent display the customization becomes limited.
Taco = Troll.
43. E.N. (Posts: 2577; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
what he's saying is that live wallpapers shouldn't make or break or phone. If you believe that Android would be significantly worse without a minuscule feature such as live wallpapers, then what you're saying is that Android isn't that great.
44. jellytime (Posts: 135; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I meant that android os makes you do whatever you wan't thanks to the open source but if they put transparent display on the phone it will be limited to what the phone can do.
Thanks to Almost no customization. I didn't say Android won't be great anymore I'm saying that the "PHONE" with the transparent display becomes limited to what android can do and androids customization is the thing other os don't even come close to like Ios which makes the devices with Ios boring.
20. torr310 (Posts: 579; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
I don't think the screen can be safe after dropping. Also what's the point of getting transparency if we will eventually put a cover on?
Save your effort and imagination on something more practical instead.
21. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
What happens if it falls on the hard floor?
22. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3151; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
How does a transperent display manage to have a camera????
29. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1703; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Instead of displaying the image you would just look through it I guess lol. Original concept but not very realistic
23. downphoenix (Posts: 2768; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Other than using a camera, or possibly for augmented reality apps, what would be the point of a transparent display? I know the text appears to be pretty legible in that video, but reading text in less than ideal conditions would be a chore on a transparent display.
28. tarichar (Posts: 5; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
yea, that's what i really want in a phone, having to see my hand in the background of everything i do. A window or a car windshield is a cool concept, not on a flipping phone.
30. joey18 (Posts: 574; Member since: 20 Jul 2010)
Apple. Never will make something like this thas why i'm movin from 4s to s3 apple loose visionary i remember blackberry old days all wans to have blackberry phone android came blackberry is only history apple needs to understand custumers my phine don't do like my old droid phone
31. jibraihimi (Posts: 714; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Expect this to be a reality in iPhone 36............. :)
32. vince817 (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Just another pathetic attempt to start hype over the new iPhone. If they had a article stating that the new iPhone was able to project holograms of your contact on the wall apple fans would believe it.
33. vince817 (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
IPhones are for girls and little kids. No self respecting adult man should pull a toy out of his pocket . When I pull my new evo out I feel like I have a real phone.
36. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
That would be the most stupid and anoying idea for a phone. I don't want my phone to be transparent. It really sucks
39. cfprelude (Posts: 119; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
seems like it would be easier and more marketable to design a "transparent" background/wallpaper/overlay for certain apps by utilizing the camera and having it "show" whats on the other side of the phone... for easier texting and walking and of course augmented reality apps. just my .02
52. philipjfry (Posts: 7; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Android already have that app. It's Transparent Screen on the google market. It uses your camera. It is cool, but will be rarely used like Siri.
41. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
A transparent display? hmm.. sounds cool but I dunno, what if someone wants to watch porn or something? didn't think about that now did you?
45. pegasso (Posts: 232; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
47. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
transparent displays are kinda neat but I'm still not sold on its real world uses... especially for things like media or gaming.
50. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7040; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
This is utterly stupid for a iPhone. Didn't SONY used to have a transparent phone couple years ago?
53. virtualcool (Posts: 6; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
what to do after buying that transparent phone;
1. buy matte screen protector for both sides.
2.buy case protector for the fragile phone
3. wtf! what happen to the trasparent screen?
4. shake your head for being a sucker.
54. Mube1 (Posts: 153; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Taco if it will be sony or samsung before apple that what will u do, bcoz u r apple patient lol
55. a_tumiwa (Posts: 372; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
maybe half-screen transparent like Samsung did to their YP-H1 is more possible
57. slappymchappy (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
A transparent display? Why would I want to have people see my porn?