Thieves nab 22,500 LG G2's in truck heist
0. phoneArena 26 Oct 2013, 21:48 posted on
You really need to be on your toes at all times, even when you go for a bathroom break, because that's all it took for thieves to take off with a bunch of LG G2 handsets recently. Apparently, a truck full of LG G2 handsets was on its way to Louisville, Kentucky when it was stolen, the truck and all. In total, this lead to 22,500 LG smartphones being taken...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Miracles (Posts: 196; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Lol Kinda stupid to steal CDMA phones. It be different if they were GSM..there are many tricks to those.
19. TheMan (Posts: 317; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I'd like to know where was Vin Diesel at the time of the theft.
Seriously, I couldn't find an original news source to get the details so I'll have to speculate. I don't think it was important about where it was going, but from where. If it came from a distribution center known for shipping LG electronics, the thieves may have been hoping for flat screens or some other high end (phones included). The story sounds suspect, so if i were investigating this, I'd suspect the driver.
27. Finalflash (Posts: 421; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
If they sell each phone for about 500, I believe thats a little over 11 mil, they did better than TVs in that regard. But they were unlucky that they were CDMA phones, not much for a market for those in or outside the US.
2. woodshop20 (Posts: 430; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
The thieves obviously obviously didn't know much about phones. CDMA...smh.
4. woodshop20 (Posts: 430; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Or maybe those were secret Nexus 5's; hence the wait.
3. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5424; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
way to steal a truck full of tracking devices guy...
5. N-fanboy (Posts: 332; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
Some body explain to me why its a bad thing they stole CDMA phones...
11. lsutigers (Posts: 558; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
Actually all new Sprint and Verizon LTE phones do have SIM cards. However, as far as I know they still require CDMA authentication with the network, even if they are international (global GSM) unlocked.
28. PBXtech (Posts: 177; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Good to know, thanks. So what is the SIM card on a CDMA network used for?
29. lsutigers (Posts: 558; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
LTE is a GSM based technology and requires a SIM / IMEI for authentication with the LTE network.
12. Whateverman (Posts: 3060; Member since: 17 May 2009)
There are ways around that depending on if the IMEI numbers are in the system or not. There are some less than reputable third party dealers who would flash these phones to other CDMA carriers for the right price. I'm not sure if they still can, but that was possible a little while ago.
14. kozza3 (Posts: 524; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Anyone could flash these phones to something like cricket, I personally think cricket should participate in the blacklist program.
36. Daftama (Posts: 491; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Coma is paper weight to 3rd world.. If they can't make it work with 3rd world sim it's paper weight
6. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Waiting for a GTA joke, I can't come up with one.
31. kingkoopa765 (Posts: 13; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
haha I was gonna say someone's been playing a little too much GTA5...
8. zig8100 (Posts: 93; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
They can still be nice 5.2 inch wifi tablets. Thats about it.
20. Netolic (Posts: 138; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
they can sell it overseas. euro or in south america. atleast they get little bit money from their work
18. Miracles (Posts: 196; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
I bet they were really after the gas...forget the truck lol.
21. Netolic (Posts: 138; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
nah, they needed a ride to the next town. then ditch the truck
10. HASHTAG (Posts: 383; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Well since the article didn't mention it, why didn't the driver take the keys out of the ignition? Though he may have, but got jacked. Otherwise, dumb thieves.
22. Netolic (Posts: 138; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
trucks are difficult to start, rather have the truck run the whole day and never turn it off , until to the last destination
13. kozza3 (Posts: 524; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Stealing isn't cool guys, I notice a lot of people saying they were dumb for taking CDMA phones but regardless they stole they're already idiots... Contribute to society...
15. DONUT (Posts: 136; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
broke b*tches in need of a good phone and a vehicle
16. TwentyWendy (Posts: 52; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
People think the thieves are dumb for robbing cdma, but they failed to realise they're hired to do so, in order to claim insurance checks :3
24. pwnarena (Posts: 438; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i'm realyl wondering if it's possible to fit more than 20,000 lg g2s in one truck. how big is that truck? that must be a really big truck. are these phones in their retail boxes or just stacked without the usual packaging? 20k is really a multitude. how big are the boxes holding each lg g2?
25. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 568; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
What a waste of great hardware. I'm just shocked they chose LG instead of Samsung or Apple O.o are Apple and Samsung devices closely guarded when in-transit or something?
Very suspect, sounds like an inside job to me, I hope these idiots get caught.
30. ibap (Posts: 650; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
They didn't 'choose'. They saw an opportunity. It probably didn't matter what was in the truck. I'm sorry for the driver, who obviously wasn't thinking straight in some manner.
39. miles16852 (Posts: 166; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
um, YES, they did 'choose' what do you think happens when one sees and opportunity?? one can DECIDE (CHOOSE) or DECIDE (CHOOSE) NOT to proceed and execute!
26. kanagadeepan (Posts: 513; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Soo many BadESN LG G2 phones are coming to eBay store...
33. giani (Posts: 114; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
This explains how Lg managed to "sell" just over 2300 of G2's..
35. anthony84 (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)
Apparently there are a lot of dumb people in USA ..sell them $50 a piece, no questions asked.
37. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 70; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
...here come 22,500 LG G2's with BAD IMEI's on EBAY...and NOT one of those SPRINT phones will sell...