Thermal imaging of stressed Samsung Galaxy S4 shows the chassis rarely gets hot and bothered
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
HTC One 2 aka HTC M8 rumor round-up: camera, specs, release date and design
05 Dec 2013, 10:44
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
Living with the LG G2: a long-term review
03 Dec 2013, 07:53
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
That's why I'm patiently wait for the exynos version, crapdragon ruins everythings...
3. sorcio46 (Posts: 390; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
The Exynos version has a bigger chip with a bigger architecture (A15 vs Krait 300) = more power draw = more heat -.-
35. highonandroid (Posts: 18; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
well I thought the more cores the less heat, I'm new in Phonearena and I noticed people dislike everything here, even the thruth,
anyways I was actually very shocked when I saw the dislikes and your weird comment, I guess this is not how you comment on PhoneArena. it was just a thought that sounds normal to me, your comment made me look like an idiot -_-
55. Pedro0x (Posts: 242; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
You do know that unless you play very demanding games or running benchmarks, the A15 cores won´t be active. A7 cores will do almost everything because according to ARM one A7 core is as powerful as A8 in for example SGS1, exynos 5410 has 4 A7 cores and if my SGS1 is running overall very smooth, then SGS4 should run very well on the A7 cores. And A7 cores should have a very low power draw and much less heat than Snapdragon.
But Snapdragon is very good processor, perfect choice if you want balance between power draw and performance. Qualcomm was very smart to do this, a hybrid between A15 and A9. I hope that in near future they adopt some elements from A50 architecture because it should have much more performance/Watt and it is 64 bit processor, this could easily get in laptops
61. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The exynos 5 if your just doing standard stuff destroys the competition in batetry life. If you do a lot of gaming it is around the same.
6. pyradark (Posts: 626; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
bragging the mighty phone, now accusing a parts.
this is what happen when fanboys get big head, they overheat like their mighty gods. hahahaha
too bad you cant put that in the water to cool off
7. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
the exynos version would probably melt the plastic body or boil an egg , lol .
11. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
If snapdragon is crap, why almost every phone manufacturer is using it? HTC, Sony, samsung, and all windows phones uses your so-called crapdragon. Might not be the most powerful one out there but more than enough, but it's the most reliable chip. A bit of difference in benchmark in pure numbers doesnt affect user experience, If 2 random S4s are placed in front of you, one is of Exynos variant, one of of snapdragon variant, you wont be able to tell the difference in performance unless you do benchmark tests.
15. recond9 (Posts: 49; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
Dude,they didn't even tell what chip they used in the heating test... -_-
42. chocolaking (Posts: 415; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Just another samsung marketing news..
Promoting something that's actually irrelevent for the use of a phone...
62. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Its relevant, if the s4 chassis doesn't get hot thats a huge advantage over the HTC One.
2. gazmatic (Posts: 501; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
my lumia just gets warm....
4. Robes1 (Posts: 17; Member since: 08 Dec 2009)
In what country is 111 degrees luke warm? If it was that hot outside you wouldn't even leave the house! Water boils at cooler temps than that!
14. cezarepc (Posts: 422; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Show me how you boil water with less than 111 Fahrenheit (44 Celsius) please?
19. sorcio46 (Posts: 390; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
Yes you can, at the right pressure, but assuming that we don't spend our time in the Exosphere, don't keep it in your mind :P
20. Aeires (unregistered)
Only with a serious vacuum.
60. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
In my country (Dominican Republic, its the country next to Haiti for those who never took geography btw.) 44 Degrees Celsius is a good temperature for summer, Once the temperature got to 48 degrees... now THATS hot.
68. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1334; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
The boiling point of water is 100°C or 212° F at 1 atmosphere of pressure (sea level)
5. tonyv69 (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Nov 2012)
That country would be the USA they state it is 111f (44c) in article.
27. akki20892 (Posts: 1680; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i told samdung don't get that hot that u will burn. that's why some powerful processor is only for PC.
63. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
PC Processors can run much hotter because they have fans/liquid coolers. Phones use passive cooling which is a huge reason why phones will never be faster than standard pcs.
8. nazyr1803 (Posts: 26; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
looks like after this we're gonna hear news like user lost his/her finger because of the heat of samsung galaxy s4!! lolx
10. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3748; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sony Xperia Z : "Wait! I thought I'm the 'hottest' one in here!" :P
12. pyradark (Posts: 626; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Xperia Z - hottest in the market
S4 - hottest in the hands
18. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
At least you could dunk your phone in the water to remove the heat :P
16. recond9 (Posts: 49; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
That's good news,considering that my S3 gets quite hot when playing Real Racing and Modern Combat 4.So,bring it on.. :D
26. shadez10 (Posts: 364; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Good news. I really hate when my phone is heating a lot. After JB update my s2 heats a lot and burns battery faster than it was on ICS...
29. phljcnth (Posts: 165; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Do these guys even care to read the title?
33. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
No they dont know how to read.or they dont want to read anymore coz artcles that praise s4 is biased for them... theyr butthurt sony fans who are hiding their disappointment with the overheating problems of their full-of-bugs Sony Xperia Z..
Ull just notce that whenever Samsung s4 is praised and won the battle in reviews, they will find so many excuses to uplift their handset again..
They are despr8 disgusting pipol
37. SellPhones82 (Posts: 326; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
If they did read it then they fail at reading comprehension! The processor is what is reaching 111 Fahrenheit during heavy usage, yet the chassis is only lukewarm.
Even heat distribution = GOOD thing!
Maybe that will help some of them understand the point of this article.
38. SleepingOz (Posts: 2016; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
What did you expect from stupid biased haters?
Their comments reflect their stupidity.
85. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I read the article.
Its just ''stupid marketing news from samsung''
any plastic phone with qualcomm krait processor will have good thermal efficiency any people who smart enough will know that ( so its not something magical )
if S4 have metal or glass body with Exynos Chipset, and still have better thermal efficiency than other phone that will be ''BIG FAT AND GROUND BREAKING NEWS''
but since S4 is made of plastic so it just another b**l s**t from samsung
47. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
Hey fkn stupids ! Back to the school and learn to read.
"they show that the device has good heat distribution"
"temperature will rarely make it uncomfortable to hold, even under stress scenarios that boil the processor."
"even under significant stress like gaming, the processor heats the device at only lukewarm temps, it seems"
Then ....stop trolling and get the fk out of here !!!!!
51. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Samsung should give thanks to Qualcomm for their processor and that plastic toy (polycarbonate)
just imagine if samsung use Exynos + Metal it will be like hell on smartphone
52. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
you are everywhere,,,, fkn troll
If this is cold
58. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
you said im trolling = im just telling the truth
the truth is :
1. Polycarbonate have bad Thermal
Conductivity so its not miracel or innovative
2. Qualcomm is the coolest mobile processor, one of the most power efficient, and one of the most powerful
3. Exynos is not the coolest and not the most powerful, and maybe it will be the most power efficient but we need to wait to prove it
64. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
You have some serious denial problems if you think qualcomm runs the coolest/fastest cpus.
70. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
listen me kid
1. Qualcomm is the coolest mobile Cpu just check this video :
2. Qualcomm one of the fastest mobile Cpu
just compare Snapdragon S4 with Tegra 3, or Exynos Quad
73. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Snapdragon S4 is fast enough to run any games and apps, it the coolest one
even S600 is fast enough to compete with Exynos 5 octa
both S4 krait and S600 is power efficient
now just wait for Tegra 4, S800, Exynos 5 octa so we can compare wich one the fastest, the coolest and the most power efficent
80. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
haha trolling you said
there something i said is a lie???
Qualcomm is the coolest mobile Cpu (they have proved it, even Plastic Galaxy S2 ''Exynos''gets much more hotter than Aluminium Htc One S ''Snapdragon'')
Its normal for aluminium phone gets little bit hotter than plastic phone (S4 is not the only plastic phone) so its not something ''ground breaking''.
if you and other samsung fanboy want to compare, just do the comparison with other ''plastic'' device.
Did S600 is a crap?? No is not because even Snapdragon S4 is fast enough to run any games and apps smoothly.
Im talking about the truth with solid proves but you and other samsung fanboy keep talking about crap,
no i'm not trolling because no one paid me but if you think that i'm trolling just prove it what i said is wrong
56. SleepingOz (Posts: 2016; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Well it would be conduct heat like the HTC One, I guess..
57. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
no it will be much more hotter than HTC one because Qualcomm processor is the coolest mobile processor and it being tested
65. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Are you stupid? They didn't say which chip this phone even is. It could be the exynos 5 or snapdragon 600.
Also yes that is a cool device comapred to the HTC One which im sure is running way above 111.
71. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
no you the stupid one because you always talking stupid things like Iphone will copy 1 feature from android ( NFC ) android is not the first mobile phone have NFC feature.
They maybe not say its S600 or Exynos but it doesn't matter why????
1. Because polycarbonate have bad Thermal Conductivity so its normal if it doesn't get hotter than metal or glass phone
2. If Galaxy S4 use metal body and Exynos it willbe much more hotter than HTC ONE
53. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
if this is cold......u trolling
if this is warm.....u trolling
if this is lukewarm.....u trolling
get over it....Samsung RULZ. customer's wallet say it ;)
59. chocolaking (Posts: 415; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Samsung actually not ruling. but falling.... and fadding.. I really wish you can witness the surrender of it's smartphone crash...
But if they keep copying other companies. They can still survive.
66. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Funny, the HTC One and US s4 have the same EXACT Cpu neither is better. Samsung optimized the s4 better than the HTC One though because games don't run like crap and its clocked higher. The exynos 5 version crushes both though with a real a15 cpu and much better gpu.
Samsung copied nobody for the s4 hardware.
First phone with a good A15
Using THEIR own CPU
Using PowerVR while everyone else is adreno
First phone with ddr3
First phone using big.little
The war is pointless though, both companies will bend over to intel and abandon arm soon.
69. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1334; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
HAHAHAHA intel, HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH. You know what phones have intel processors? Garbage ones LOL
67. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
I dont feed fkn trolls. foolish and stupid trolls.
72. roscuthiii (Posts: 1602; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
May as well change the name of this site to FanboyArena. For a site dedicated to informing people about mobile device news... damn, just damn... filled with brand-loyal misinformed imbeciles.
79. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
More solid proof that shows how well designed the Galaxy S series is. Too bad the HTC fanboys will ignore it and say the HTC One keeps me hot in the winter by burning my hand! Innovation!
81. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
haha well designed???? Very funny
Galaxy S2 has been proved much more hotter than Aluminium HTC One S
Galaxy S3 has been proved more fragile than Aluminium Iphone5
82. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Amazing the amount of stupidity seen on here. The One S is on a completely different design cycle and generation compared to the GS2. The GS2 beat everything in the same generation in every single department. In your case you would have to use the Sensation, which got way way hotter than the GS2.
As for the iphone 5, chips, dents, and scuffs out of the box with touch screen problems isn't called well designed. Dumb ass.