The truth about that Samsung Galaxy S III that exploded
0. phoneArena 07 Jul 2012, 20:59 posted on
Last month, we told you about a poor sap whose Samsung Galaxy S III exploded in his car and while Carphone Warehouse would not give him a replacement, he eventually got one; it turns out that the hone had suffered water damage and then was put in a microwave oven...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
28. wendygarett (unregistered)
Yeap I guess apple will say the same thing about combustion case..
58. Astreo (Posts: 101; Member since: 05 May 2011)
in a totally unrelated post lets talk about apple as always. so tired of you guys crying in EVERY article about apple.
2. phljcnth (Posts: 454; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I can imagine the owner's face now. He he he
4. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
My sources tell me that the friend was none other than Steve Jobs and that he actually threw his friend's Galaxy S III into the toilet just to iSobatage the device's imminent launch.
18. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
Lol, did Google Now tell him to put it in the microwave?
26. thebest (Posts: 231; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
no actually, steve ballmer did that, we know how crazy he is lolzzzz
6. p0rkguy (Posts: 685; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
Already knew it was fake when it was surfaced last month.
Originally thought guy tried taking a lighter and burning it from the outside though.
7. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Awesome. What a tard, you never microwave anything electronic.
8. sprockkets (Posts: 1608; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Sheesh, now seeing it open it is clear it wasn't the phone. Only thing that could blow up is the stupid battery.
10. christianqwerty (Posts: 467; Member since: 05 May 2011)
And you guys call us iPhone users stupid.. Hahahah
12. PackMan (Posts: 277; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
You idiot, his friend was probably iPhone user just like you.
25. thebest (Posts: 231; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
no, actually, i think he did all that by himself to get a new phone and luckily, he got a new phone will a lot of accessories
14. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
There are idiots on both sides of the table. Just use the app Yodamap and you'll want to curl into a fetal position due to the stupid.
19. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
This incident right here would be an insult to stupid.
21. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Oh hey. It's the newbie. Hi newbie.
I do agree that this was beyond stupid. Not the first time I've ever seen someone lie to get s**t replaced though.
22. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
You don't even know the whole story.
23. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
What part am I missing? The guy had a stupid friend, got his phone broken by that friend, and when he was exposed told the truth about it after lying and trying to fool representatives at Car phone Warehouse.
50. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3099; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Snig, these idiots always have some excuse or conspiracy theory behind their blind sheepness. They just can't accept some stupid kid tried to put his phone in the microwave to dry out the water.
59. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
So did you know what happened? Have you spoken to the guy?
15. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Well then. Where will the iTrolls be now? Funny how so many people cried foul immediately. Hunches do turn out to be correct.
24. ObjectivismFTW (Posts: 211; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Crazy what people would do to get recognized on the Internet.
27. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3099; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Well look at this, the sheep threw their attacks on the S3 over one article and we find out it didn't even explode under normal use after all. Better battery life, apple store getting viruses, and now this. Its been a great week.
29. smartphonelover (Posts: 36; Member since: 26 Nov 2009)
Oh no, I guess Apple can't sue Samsung anymore for having a phone that self combusts ;) Now I do agree that my Galaxy S 2 Epic 4G Touch get's really hot at times (the battery will sometimes read over 120 degrees), but it has never self combusted.
31. zaidalrawi80 (Posts: 21; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Damn that junk crap plastic device....
32. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
yes pay the owner handsome money to shuup and change the story so sgs3 could not get in much worst face typical bussness fail safe strategy........... if it blows it blows admint it not defend it
36. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
You mean like "There is nothing wrong with your phone, you're holding it wrong."?
Stop with the nonsense conspiracy theory.
54. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
just saying its a theory yes who have seen what actually happened to that poor dead sgs3
37. thebest (Posts: 231; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
you may be right, i am not sure, because samsung has a history of corruption.....i think its a defective phone,the other galaxy S3s should be fine.......i have a galaxy s2, i thought that they will change the plastic body this time, but they didn't........a unibody s3 would have been great to have.......this time will get an iphone, i just love the quality of the apps on my ipod touch
47. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3099; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Lmao yes Samsung paid millions to one kid that had their phone explode on them. You got it right!
55. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
get a life a kid dont need million he be happy with 2 x price of sgs3 u dumb head
49. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Geez! Another Nokia fanboy, jealous of Samsung's success spotted!
35. leftheodo (Posts: 82; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Lol he is so stupid that he deserves an iPhone!
38. thebest (Posts: 231; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
actually, he has proved how stupid android users are!!!!!!!!!
46. amish1512 (Posts: 28; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
but any iphone user never did that stupidity and samsung user did apparently
39. joaolx (Posts: 364; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
All the problems about phones exploding is the user's fault. It's rarely a problem from the phone.
40. lzsbleach (Posts: 155; Member since: 20 May 2012)
This is why I never listen to these incidents on less it happens more than twice.
43. jibraihimi (Posts: 739; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
If he kept this phone in the microwave then why am I seeing only part of the phone near the charging port get damaged.......????? I think whole phone should have burnt, if he kept it inside the microwave................ The whole investigation, by samsung smells fishy, they don't have guts to accept that some faulty phone's left their factory, as this will affect their sales. So a simple solution, give the affected person some money, and some new devices to keep his mouth shut and retract his statement............... I'm no ifan, rather I'm lover of all things tech......... And guys samsung have long history of corruption, you can search net for all the tales about their corrupt practises.....................
44. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Sure, bub, now run along and go play with your toys (ipad, ipod, iphone).
51. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
for starters you know how a microwave works? by your statement over there it seems you don't. If you put plastic (material the S3 is made of) the plastic wont get burned by the microwave but rather the metallic part at the bottom of the device used for charging would be defecting the microwave causing the bottom to be burned (as you see on the pictue)
57. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
One way to prove it.....go get a GS3 and put it in the microwave. Let us know how it turns out.
45. willard12 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Gotta love conspiracy theories. Maybe Samsung hired someone to shoot JFK and paid Lee Harvey Oswald to take the blame.
53. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
guys I think you need to calm down, anyone with basic microwave knowledge would know that metal on your charging port and microwaves don't go well together, specially when there is water added to that equation
also many plastic alloy ARE USED TO COOK MEALS so it would be normal of the S3 didn't completely caught fire
also is good to note that there don't seem to be a reason for the device to spontaneously burnt see most of the device intact witch wouldn't occur if lets say the battery had issues