The super-sized chart: meet the largest smartphones on the planet
0. phoneArena 30 Sep 2014, 19:01 posted on
Does anyone remember the 4.65-inch Galaxy Nexus? The 4.7-inch HTC Titan? These were the 'crazy' phablets of days past. Today, these are both considered medium-sized flagships. In just a few short years, we went from being horrified at the thought of anything exceeding 4 inches, to a state where those are tiny even when compared to the mini versions of popular top-shelf models. So, are we in for another round?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Anything over 6" is mad, i love large screened phones but its pointless having a phone over 6"! Besides the Note 3 beats all hands down!
5. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Don't speak on behalf of others, especially size.
Everyone said the same about original Note(5.3"). But people liked it and tech bloggers had to change their opinion later when Note 2 came.
18. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Well I do share your opinion, everything over 6" should be considered as a tab.
23. JGuinan007 (Posts: 647; Member since: 19 May 2011)
That's what they said 2 years ago about anything over 5 inches.
86. greenelektron (Posts: 364; Member since: 10 Sep 2014)
While PA didn't list the zenfone 7 (or is that padfone or fonepad, im confused LOL), they should also indicate the availability and of course the current price. I want to have the 6in nexus.
29. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1106; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
I was just surorised to see that the Note 3 is not up there...!
Hmmm all of a sudden my Note 3 feels so compact in my hands....shame on you all those BIG BIG devices...cant we all go in for something as compact as the Note 3? :)
40. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
You only say that because the Note3 has a smaller screen.. So, you attest a Note 4 with a 6" screen❔... If you ever get one then I'm going to call you out on this...
Sounds kinda hypocritical, and something a sore loser would say... Heck, the Note 3 isn't even in this league, so why bring that old tiny device up❔
90. ojdidit84 (Posts: 421; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
I was about to reply to him too. Then I realized that this was posted on Jan 13, 2014. I hate when PA necro's articles that are this old.
70. Duketytz (Posts: 532; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
I like using phones that are 5.2 - 5.7 if I have access to a 7-8inch tablet for my media consumption. However when those are not available, I prefer 6-6.4 inch phablets!
72. Duketytz (Posts: 532; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Hey look how my comments change since last time
98. great (Posts: 76; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
you should use galaxy w...it dwarfs the note 3 !
2. Duketytz (Posts: 532; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
It is so big that even Note 3 is not on the list of the top 15 biggest phones. One day we will be putting 40 inch TV to the side of our heads
79. KillgoreTroutTime (Posts: 404; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
Perhaps a small device that can expand into a 40 in "tv" that can also fit inside a pocket
3. fouadqr (Posts: 320; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
Lumia 1520 is the best :D and the best looking for a huge device
27. Bernoulli (Posts: 1729; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Sure is man! With the best specs and fastest, smoothest operating system
35. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
The 1520 is the best IMO❕
Best screen quality.
Best screen technology.
Best audio capturing. 4 HHAC RRS mics
Best battery life. 3400mha
Best processor widely available.
The 1520 is the best overall device for me.
80. lawsofeffect (Posts: 40; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
what of the Huawei Medipad X1 (Honor), not even on the list, fully functioning 7" inch screen, phone (3g & 4g) - who writes these things?
91. remixfa (Posts: 14223; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
And its biggest draw back that kills it? Windows OS.
I have nothing against windows mobile OS, its actually a really nice system, however, as far as sales go, its doomed from the start.
I realy wish Microsoft wouldn't have had to buy Nokia to stay in the game. I really wanted an android phone with a Nokia pureview camera on it. I would have bought that in a heartbeat.
39. Bioload25 (Posts: 213; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
I think the Z ultra has more style,although it has those huge bezels
41. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Oh, I love the Z Ultra to.. As a matter of fact, I love the way Sony does their hardware.. As far as style, and quality, Sony is only rivaled by Nokia, and Apple, IMO... HTC next, and the others are way at the bottom of the list... But yes, I agree.. The Z Ultra is awesome..
55. tunaofthedirt (Posts: 2; Member since: 23 May 2014)
Samsung does most of the hardware for iphones and ipads, and probably a lot of those other devices....
45. lilduderob (Posts: 13; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
It is amazing. I bought it thinking replace my 5s it is just to big for me as a phone. I can't stop using it. I use it as a tablet and love it. It has the best screen. It is very fast. Everything works perfect on it. Love it
47. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yep❕ 1520 is the best overall.. No doubt..
74. akki20892 (Posts: 3700; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Of course 1520 is best looking phablet so far.
4. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Smartphones are getting bigger these days, imagine holding one of the 6 inchers above the beside your ears, you will look awkward because you're holding a brick. Just look at the Hisense X1 for example, the person holding it must be like WTF is this? Don't even think about the Coolpad Great God, it's just ridiculous. We aren't sumo wrestlers or
19. papss (unregistered)
Sorry man but I disagree.. My l1520 is trhe perfect size and I have no problem holding it up to my ear... Its others around me that have the problem with it. Loll
36. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I agree the 1520 is the best❕..
And, if the Note 4 has a 6" screen Note fans will stop being sore losers saying that 6" is to big.... Pathetic.
66. wilsong17 (Posts: 1118; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Sorry but note 3 fit fine on my dressings pant anything over that is ridiculous. ... beside I always have a lg tone Bluetooth headset
81. willard12 (Posts: 916; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
"Can you please move your ginormous phone?" - Microsoft commercial for Nokia.
It looks like two whole corporations were saying screens were too big....until they decided to make phones with big screens.
82. Venkatramanan (Posts: 254; Member since: 15 Aug 2014)
I have T2 Ultra and I done have any problem of holding this phone. 6" suits to my need.
17. SleepingOz (unregistered)
in your "humble" opinion.. :]
34. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I like nokia too but I concur, the 1520 ain't the best by a longshot.
37. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Most definitely agree that the 1520 is overall the best.. It has so many innovative features,, much more than any other device..
83. Venkatramanan (Posts: 254; Member since: 15 Aug 2014)
Though I like WP and I agree 1520 is one of the best, I need to admit that, Except Samsung, No other OEM have not made the larger phone to fully utilize the larger screen. I mean, There's no other extra feature for 1520 compared to other smaller screen WP phones.
100. aleunge (Posts: 13; Member since: 22 Sep 2014)
No, that's early on release. A few updates back the large screen WP devices like the 1520 and 1320 gained real screen estate within the OS. Although they don't have split screen yet, they do at least show more than other smaller screen WP phones.
7. brrunopt (Posts: 583; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I was hoping for a picture with all of them together , and iphone for size scale ;)
65. bucky (Posts: 1597; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Thank goodness someone is still making phones, not tablets that can make calls.
Even the 6 is a bit too big.
101. aleunge (Posts: 13; Member since: 22 Sep 2014)
That's the great thing about anything not with IOS though. There are lots of choices if you have a specific screen size in mind, not two.
38. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
The ONE Max is cool. I saw it the other day.. I love HTC, and Sony, devices..
10. Smokin (Posts: 120; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Typo. In One Max's slide it's Oppo N1. it should be one max
11. pwnarena (Posts: 1000; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
poor z ultra. the only thing it can hold an unbeatable claim to has now been snatched by some unknown chinese brand.
26. pyradark (Posts: 787; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Lol... The slimmest phabet 6.5mm on a premium water/dust resistance and the best display out there and you can used any thing to write on it!! Hahahaha
42. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I don't know which screen is better. The 1520's or the Ultra's.. That would be a good in depth comparison.
46. pyradark (Posts: 787; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
well it depends on your taste!! I love Z Ultra triluminos display, it gives more color to the screen and the X-reality display is phenomenal, people skintone is natural while its surrounding is vibrant compare to AMOLED, people skintone become yellowish its like they take tanning machine eiwww
48. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I think the 1520's strong points are sunlight readability, viewing angles, brightness, and other technologies.. IOW it features
1. ClearBlack polarization: Advanced screen filter.
2. Assertive technology: actually adjust each pixel with a very intense algorithm
3. Sunlight readability option: further adjust brightness if selected.
4. Lumia color profile: Allows you to adjust temperature, and saturation.
5. Super Sensitive touch: Allows the screen to be used with gloves, finger nails..
6. Pure Motion HD plus: 9ms refresh time: fastest in the industry. Most are around 23ms..
And, that's just the screen... That's what you call attention to detail... Lol❕
14. N-fanboy (Posts: 538; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
What was Nokia smoking when it made the 1520 its flagship?! Its a great device but its too big for most people (including myslef). They should have brought out a 5'' phone and made this like an option.
24. DFranch (Posts: 140; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
a 5" version (Nokia Icon) is going to be released on Verizon soon, perhaps even this week. It's supposed to have virtually the same specs as the 1520 except for the battery being smaller (2510 MAh I think).
15. twens (Posts: 700; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Funny thing is the galaxy mega is the only phone with minimum bezels both top and bottom. Samsung really knows how to do big phones unlike these other wanna be manufacturers with insanely enormous bezels.
50. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3562; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Wannabe manufacturers❔.. And you think Samsung makes the best hardware.. You just killed your reputation dude.
68. sanchesyoo (Posts: 12; Member since: 20 Sep 2014)
Top and bottom bezels are a necessity due to camera and speakers and not to mention gaming experience - you try to hold a phone with little to no top/bottom bezels sideways and not to ruin what you are doing on screen
16. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
7 inch CoolPad Great God/Halo..... Crazy!