The people have spoken: flexible screens are here to stay... probably
0. phoneArena 11 Oct 2013, 03:25 posted on
On Tuesday we wanted to poll what your preliminary attitude towards flexible screens was, if only to have a before and after that we can go back to as this new era unfolds...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6631; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Just give me a flagship phone with an unbreakable screen, large lasting battery and the latest version of Android and you'll have my money.
5. _Bone_ (Posts: 2061; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
And that's flexible display for your, unbreakable screen, thinner lighter profile that allows larger battery. We only need Sammy to do a Flexus.
13. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 216; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Flexible is usefull when a 5inch phone can make it to 10inch tablet because of flexibility . :)
19. Miracles (Posts: 334; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
They probably already have something like that. But I doubt they'd put it out in the market, cuz people won't buy another phone after that. It'd only hurt their business.
So that why we saw Samsung put out the 'Round'. Its not fooling nobody.
23. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5645; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
i LOVE OLED unbreakable SCREENS
24. techaman (unregistered)
its foled flexible organic light emitting diodes i remember the first time i seen them in mit and other places amazed that was 10 years agolove wear we are going with this tech, i think it needs to be on a arm band.
2. sss_ddk (Posts: 58; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
what if we start using our phones as an ashtray!
3. cameogt (Posts: 88; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
i love the idea of "flexible" display. but not the likes of Galaxy Round. i thought it's a gimmick.
21. Tommy1960i (Posts: 92; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
Well, I kind agree so we will see ho they will perform on market.
6. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Flexible display.. The meaning of such that people really want to see isnt yet achievable.!!
We need flexible battery too we need flexible parts more and more! Just accept that for now only durability is lifted
7. Diazene (Posts: 123; Member since: 01 May 2013)
some people thought 3D phone screens would be useful as well
flexible screens sure are useful, not because of their physical flexibility, but because of the flexibility of their use, I mean, they're thin and light
but I still don't like OLED
8. Diazene (Posts: 123; Member since: 01 May 2013)
I wonder why some people think flexible screens are unbreakable?
9. JMartin22 (Posts: 643; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
It's a gimmick or it's practical, it all depends on how manufacturers tread when incorporating it into applicable use. If the aspect is geared more towards flashy marketing sensationalism and less towards thought and concept; then we'll have our answer.
10. abhijithkumar.nit (Posts: 24; Member since: 09 Apr 2013)
This technology has great prospect but samsung's execution is bad to say the least!
12. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2099; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes...Its definitely looks useful for durable, stronger, cheaper screens, allow larger batteries, different new hardware inside and lighter phones.
14. wando77 (Posts: 254; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Can't wait for apple to invent flexible screens in 3 years time
27. fanboylemonkiller (Posts: 15; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
samsung makes apple screens so its not really apple who invents anything
15. brober (Posts: 3; Member since: 05 Sep 2013)
Need to distinguish between "flexible" meaning consumer can manipulate the shape and "curved" or "shaped" meaning the manufacturer manipulated the shape.
17. Chris.P (Posts: 199; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
It's a topic of discussion at the office already. I agree, at this point it appears we may have to go with curved or whatever, since flexibility communicates a rather different (and cooler) concept ;).
18. silencer271 (Posts: 145; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Love it. The people think its worth it vs isheep websites thinking it was a horrible idea because its not made by apple. Stick it!
20. Tommy1960i (Posts: 92; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
How are we going to use this phone, I mean its cool but is it practical?
22. djripster (Posts: 109; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
I can see how the Galaxy Round is easy to hold because of the curved display, but I feel portrait texting will be hard with these ergonomics...