The "next dimension" of Google Maps is going to be unveiled on June 6th
0. phoneArena 01 Jun 2012, 12:54 posted on
Invitations to the media have been sent out, where it clearly shows a 9:30 AM June 6th unveiling. Peering into the invitation itself, we can infer quite a few juicy things – like the hint that we’ll possibly see 3D view maps incorporated throughout it...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 549; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Let me guess, its probably gonna run like utter crap on "older" smartphones? Current smart phones can't even smoothly scroll overhead google maps with satellite layer enabled on wifi. 3D is gonna be a worthless slideshow
10. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
really? my 2 year old SGS1 runs maps and earth flawlessly.
2. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
:O this could be nice, I wonder whats about
4. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
google maps is the best noo doubt, im confident it will be tons better... whatever apple comes up with is in the least of my interests
5. Sniggly (Posts: 7301; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Lol, El Goog's going to be like "In b4 Apple lolbbq."
I mean, Google Maps already has a bit of a 3D view when zoomed in far enough and when the map is tilted. Granted, the shape of buildings is ridiculously simplified (to the point that the Arch here in St Louis is represented by a gigantic box) but I don't know exactly how Apple and Google plan to really top it other than enhancing detail.
7. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 209; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
maybe they will incorporate 3d turn by turn navigation or have a augmented streetview with the directions layer on top to keep it simple.
8. Sniggly (Posts: 7301; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Which is exactly what Google already has, lol.
12. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 209; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
its 3d but it doesnt have the in depth detail of buildings that pop out etc. at least not in the areas where i use it.
13. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 209; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
oh and by the way thumbs up from me because i have a sense of humor.
6. Carlitos (Posts: 480; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Lol just when Apple thought it would have at least some sort of advantage to Google Maps, the table turns on them. If apple really has a 3D map on the works.
9. pooked (Posts: 56; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
I approve of Google maps, always showed me the way before. Now is going to do it just looking a little more sexy!
11. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
wow.. so this will be the year of the "Map off", between the current king, El Goog, and the newcommer, Apple.
What the heck could these guys possibly bring to the table thats so big for a dedicated event? 3D inside buildings? that could be cool and creepy.. lol. live fish migration updates?? seriously.. whats left?
20. ceepyou (Posts: 36; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Now we know what the front facing camera on our phones were for. Google's and Apple's 3D map project of the U.S. and Canada, inside and outside of buildings.
Before anyone freaks about the legalities, this is just a joke... I hope.
15. Stuntman (Posts: 834; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
The one feature of Ovi Maps that isn't available on Google Maps is lane indicators while navigating. On Ovi Maps, when I approach an intersection or interchange, it tells me which lanes I should take. Sometimes there are multiple lanes to turn left and right. Sometimes, intersections have an odd lane configuration.
16. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
So much for Apple Maps, who cares about that crap now?
17. dax0330 (Posts: 23; Member since: 01 Jun 2012)
google maps any day, and still gets even better! enough of the apple crap
19. LionStone (Posts: 643; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Well, the iusers of course, now they won't have to pay 49.99 for their TomTom app lol, which is hideous compared to Google Maps.
18. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Apple's map service will not really be better per se than Google's but it will have integration. Things like Siri, iTunes sharing for friends with Facebook in tow, etc. Apple will be focusing on that aspect not really the better points. Google on the other hand will probably focus on making the experience easier and better for scaling purposes on different devices and more capabilities that will see them increasing their interest in vehicles( google on the go type of things where interfacing with your smartphones, etc etc). They will for the moment be going in two different directions.