The new Pantech Vega is an LTE-A-equipped, Snapdragon 800-powered 5.6-inch device
0. phoneArena 02 Aug 2013, 09:40 posted on
This may surprise you, considering its relative unpopularity in the States, but in South Korea, the most smartphone saturated country, Pantech is actually just as popular as its local rivals: Samsung and LG...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. hung2900 (Posts: 824; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Pantech "Sky" smartphones' characteristics
- Only sold officially in Korea, very cheap
- Usually the best "on paper" hardware at the releasing time
- Plasticky, looks cheaper than Samsung's phones.
- Bad battery
- Not good camera quality
19. SymphonyX7 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Aug 2013)
^ What he said.
I've owned several Sky Vega devices and what they all seem to have in common is a so-so camera, bad battery life, great screen, great specs, great price.
Already owned an A770K, A800S, A810K, A820L, A830S and A850K.
I just want to note that the A800S has a bad screen. Sharp, but viewing angles are not as good as the A810 and A820. Also, the A810 and A820 have really good sound quality. Very clean power output and ridiculously good dynamic range. They're a keeper for audiophiles.
I would only advise getting a Pantech phone if you know basic Android tweaking (i.e. rooting and flashing).
3. ajac09 (Posts: 1367; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
okay someone please put in a tegra 4 sick of qualcom 800 phones so damn many of them now
4. Captain_Doug (Posts: 820; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Are they not performing well? Why are you sick of them?
7. ajac09 (Posts: 1367; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
because everyone is using them. No one is showing any kind of individuality and they are all feeling like clones of each other. None of these really show any kind of personality.
9. Blazers (Posts: 258; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Yes I'm sure people will immediately notice how different your phone is from the sea of black and white slabs out there, and yell out "his phone has a tegra 4! Sweet Jesus he's so cool!"
10. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Black and White only? What are you some kind of phone racist?
11. Commentator (Posts: 2567; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
"Oh, we're sorry Ajac, let us throw away the millions of dollars we're saving by using Qualcomm chips instead of Nvidia for the sake of our products' 'personality' and 'individuality.'" -CEOs of Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola (well, Google I guess), ASUS, Pantech, and Sony
I'm sorry, but there are hundreds of better ways these manufacturers can differentiate their products than by changing the processor.
18. Captain_Doug (Posts: 820; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Individuality is more for the exterior looks. If the internals perform well, what's the point in buying a more expensive CPU that may or may not perform as well?
5. shahulvm (Posts: 118; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
tegra is a sick soc...no dev support at all...
4.3" -> 4.5" -> 4.7" -> 5" -> 5.3" and now 5.6"
Dont the dumb manufacturers understand that our palms dont keep growing year after year...
6. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
It's not that they don't understand our palms, it's that they want to compete with each other.
Let me introduce you the big bros.
The Huawei Ascend Mate with a 6.1" screen.
The Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 with a 6.3" screen
The Sony Xperia Z Ultra with a 6.4" screen.
8. davenycept (Posts: 187; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
True.. ive between seeing Pantech for quite some time and this phones internals are great but what about the general overall performance of Pantech phones. People need to realize each manufacture had their own capabilities... so can someone please tell me abour the overall performance of Pantech phones...are they supported with timely system updates, overall speed, etc...can someone tell me about these things?
12. pocketdrummer (Posts: 20; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Entirely too large. I don't want to have to wear cargo pants just to own a cell phone.
We might as well give the Nexus 7 a few more antennas and just make that our phone if we're going to keep making 5+" phablets.
14. JewBakaUCFG (Posts: 173; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Pantec is making the Vega. Now Samsung and LG need to make an M.Bison phone and a Barlog phone.
16. justsayit (Posts: 252; Member since: 09 May 2013)
power button on back?!
sad, later, some ,ssboy, fanboys,lg hater will say something like this
"LG is a copy cat"
17. Jack58221 (Posts: 136; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
I, had, a, hard, time, reading, that, with, the, blatant, abuse, of, commas,...
20. cjescuadro (Posts: 3; Member since: 17 Jul 2013)
Pantech Vega LTE A IM-A880S is a whole new thing.You know it's not a phone but it's not a tablet either.So yeah, it's just convenient to call it a phablet.But does it function like one?Nope.It functions better!Yep when I had one from merimobiles.com ,I knew I'm gonna enjoy having it.And this didn't fail me at all.Just a heads up to future users, don't let yourself get addicted.Alright,it's all up to you then.*wink*