The legend of the HTC HD2 continues; aged device runs KitKat ROM
This amazing run continues as a Custom ROM has been developed for the HTC HD2, allowing KitKat to run on the device. Not everything is running so smoothly on the phone, and problems exist with the Wi-Fi connectivity, microSD slot and data connectivity. But those issues could get resolved. Keep in mind that the U.S. version of the HTC HD2 was not built to run Android and has a single-core 1GHz Qualcomm Scorpion processor and just 576MB of RAM inside. The installation, as imperfect as it for now, shows off Google's attempt to quash the fragmentation in the platform by making Android 4.4 compatible with Android handsets offering as little as 512MB of RAM.
The HTC HD2 is turning out to be the cockroach of smartphones as it never dies. Eventually, there might be a future OS build that completely stumps the device, but for those who lusted after the phone just a few short years ago, it goes to show that your desire was in the right place.
KitKat runs on the HTC HD2
source: XDA via PocketNow, AndroidAuthority
1. rpm048 (Posts: 3; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Very nice.. a 4yr old phone can still run the kitkat.
2. Jommick (Posts: 198; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
If they can make the call button pull up the dialer, that would be pretty neat.
4. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
This is probably the most customisable phone ever made.
6. toiletcleaner (Posts: 186; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
One of the best phone I ever own. Still there somewhere.
7. aayupanday (Posts: 516; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
All Hail The Legend!
Hope HTC manage to do the same with the One...
8. ProblemSolver15 (Posts: 131; Member since: 14 Jun 2010)
Man, HTC used to be the BIG player in the smartphone/pocket PC era. I remember I had the Verizon version of the HTC Mogul, the XV6800 if I remember correctly. That thing was amazing when it wanted to work. Lol. I went through 5 of those things.
20. bigdawg23 (Posts: 366; Member since: 25 May 2011)
I am with you. I was a huge HTC fan. Had the XV6800, which was the first smartphone I customized after finding XDA. Then I moved to TMo with the G2 and HD2. Loved my HD 2 have a dual boot of Android and WIndows 6.5 What killed me with HTC is the battery life and then getting the Vivid on AT&T. Since then any HTC handset I have tried are buggy and a PITA.
9. darkskoliro (Posts: 969; Member since: 07 May 2012)
I should have bought this phone :(
I would have used it till this day, and maybe till next year
10. TreyTreyTaylor (Posts: 309; Member since: 21 Dec 2010)
Outstanding. This shows us how much OEMS could do for their phones if they tried. Jeez, There are one year old flagships that won't see 4.4.
11. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3540; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Exactly.. But, they are in the business of flipping silicon..
12. mr.techdude (Posts: 543; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
This is soooo not fair HTC insider has just confirmed that the htc one x is getting sense 5.5 but no 4.3 or 4.4 because of the ridiculous 18 month thingie Google allows.
15. tiara6918 (Posts: 1399; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
What source did you get that confirmation on sense 5.5? I wish they went ahead with 4.4 since 4.2.2 is so buggy on my one x, I don't want to be stuck with that version till I get another new phone
16. Muayyad (Posts: 105; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
13. Darkerm (Posts: 130; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
My Friend has this phone running 2.3 but IF I had Hand one then I would test all of the custom ROMs ;)
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 11165; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
My first large screen phone, tmobiles Las Vegas coverage was horrible back then though, so I ported back to AT&T.
17. chauhanvats3 (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Dec 2013)
woo hoo. i still own this phone.err...legend.
hope they release a working rom soon @_@
19. cyko969 (Posts: 49; Member since: 23 Mar 2010)
I still have this phone as my back up phone. It has proven to be an awesome and reliable device over the years. Never regret purchasing!
21. sarge77 (Posts: 202; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
hmm when my friend got this phone it cane with the transformers movies looked great for a windiws phone til he had to oay for spyware and antivirus which he didnt and got a virus but thats windiws for yah still a great looking phone when developers try they can keep phones alive by creating more roms.
Well you can always root it and install any rom available to you on CM
23. Teja171 (unregistered)
Winners keep on fighting :)
25. luxzy801 (Posts: 136; Member since: 16 Jun 2010)
HTC and WinMo, once a winning team. I still use this as my primary phone. as soon as I got it, went into the registry and removed all the Sense garbage, never froze on me and runs winmo perfectly with the 1ghz snapdragon. It is getting outdated though, but a legend indeed!!!!
26. dorianb (Posts: 386; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Where's the video of it running Windows 8?