The iPhone 5S display may sport two times the pixel count of the iPhone 5, come with thinner bezel
0. phoneArena 28 May 2013, 03:50 posted on
If Apple managed to score enough yield with Sharp's IGZO displays, which allow record pixel densities in a thin and light package which has a very low power consumption, there might be some merit to this rumor, and the source says it will enter production next month for a release in September, which jibes with the launch rumors we've heard so far...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
23. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Uh...i don't know. I just felt like slapping the 'S' on everything Apple. Haha.
27. raunak (Posts: 505; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
not 652 ppi. Thai'll be when the resolution is FOUR times. here it is twice so it'll be probably 427.
28. raunak (Posts: 505; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
sorry not 427 but around 460 and the resolution will probably be around 1606 x 904 or 1600 x 900, assuming they maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio.
30. roldefol (Posts: 3180; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I was about to say the same thing. Before we all start drewling over 652 ppi, let's check the math. When Apple moved to Retina displays, they went from
480 x 320 = 153600 pixels = 165 ppi
960 x 640 = 614400 pixels = 326 ppi
Roughly doubling their pixel count, they would go from
1138 x 640 = 728320 pixels = 326 ppi
1600 x 900 = 1,440,000 pixels = 459 ppi
Which is comparable to the FHD displays on the One and GS4.
43. giri555 (Posts: 109; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
just because you typed some numbers, that dosent make you correct on whatever you claim.
54. raunak (Posts: 505; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
Donno why are you so butthurt but resolution and ppi are actually all about numbers
80. roldefol (Posts: 3180; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I'm just speaking to the state of the art. The tightest LCD display on the market right now is the 4.7" 469 PPI on the HTC One. Why does anyone think that in the next few months, Apple will suddenly achieve 600+ PPI? And why would they bother when there's little to gain in terms of clarity? Apple doesn't compete in the same spec war as Android manufacturers.
108. McLTE (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Obviosuly giri555 is mathematically challenged.
110. roldefol (Posts: 3180; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
A lot of the initial comments on this article were, from both Apple and Android fans. Double the pixels?? That's like 652 ppi!! Um, no, but it is a big improvement. And highest PPI does not mean best phone, either.
143. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
you didn't contribute to the discussion, yet you scold him. Pathetic.
33. calim (Posts: 22; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
The amount of pixels double, not the ppi. Twice the ppi equals four times the amount of pixels.
34. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Well, sorry for that. I was over-excited. Hahha
36. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Highest pixel density LCD display in the world was made by Japan Display Inc. and announced in June 4, 2012 and it was only a prototype.
Screen size: 2.3-inch (Active Area: 49.9mm × 31.2mm)
Number of pixels: 1280 × 800 (WXGA)
Pixel density: 651ppi
Display colors: 16.7M colors
Since Apple is not very technologically innovative, I don't think that Apple through this time has made something better than this and moved to the mass production.
69. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
WOOOOWWWWW, that's a must-have. I bet what they really did was use the left-over panels from iPad 2 and shrink them down to tiny iPhone size.
Does anyone know if we are going to need to buy new accessories again (like we had to 8 months ago) or will we be able to use the same Thunderdud accessories?
94. Igneel (unregistered)
The way your brain works humors me.
109. McLTE (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Maybe the Wizard of Oz shrank all the panels down for apple!
111. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
the Lollypop Guild did!!!
76. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 357; Member since: 07 May 2012)
what's the sense having that high pixel density on a slender 4 inch screen, make a new design and new software maybe then you can enjoy it then instead of looking at a lame grid on a 4 inch screen.
love apple but they need to change their damn design now
81. roldefol (Posts: 3180; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That's why I'm more willing to bet this is a mixed rumor regarding the iPhone 6, not the 5S. Just like they were getting our hopes up about a bigger screen when the 4S arrived.
I think as the rest of the industry including minor players like WP and BB have moved up in screen size, Apple will need to increase to ~4.3" for the iPhone 6, and maybe that's when we'll see a higher PPI screen.
91. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Bite your tongue, that's blaspheme!!!
Apple needs to never 'change their design', it will always be the teeny-tiny, overpriced, delicately glued together, fragile but sleek, under-performing and overly-hyped (God, where are my binoculars to view the screen), usable only on wi-fi, little gadget that will ever exist.
130. ecmedic4 (Posts: 202; Member since: 02 May 2013)
So in your theory, every phone should be 5 inches at least? Not everyone likes the same thing, and have different preferences, please understand that, even if you do hate Apple, no one is saying you have to buy their products, which is why we have CHOICE. Also i dont get how it is overpriced, when other phones are comparable in price. Under-performing? My iPhone 5 runs as smoothly as ever, never a lag in it, since the software is optimized very well. Usable only on wifi? Dont get what you mean by that, but im rarely ever connected to wifi and it works fine. Please try trolling a lil less and stating facts instead of blind hating on a product. If you dont like it, dont buy it. Also please be mature and realize that ppl may have a different preference over your own, and there is nothing wrong with that, everyone is free to spend their money on what they like best, and having all the choices we have is good for consumers, as not everyone may want the same thing.
99. kaira (Posts: 26; Member since: 12 May 2013)
I hate to break the party... But remember guys there's nothing new that Apple can bring to the table, which Android hasn't done already... instead it will play catch up to Android but with new terms to the Features... Just my two cents opionion...
100. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2708; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Learn how to do math, man. Two times the total pixel count won't double the ppi. You'd have to quadruple the pixel count to double the ppi. In other words, you'd have to double the number of pixels for both the length & the width. No way Apple finds a 4" panel that is 2272x1280. By double, they're saying it will be 1704x960.
137. SoulEater1667 (Posts: 23; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
HA HA HA, FOR DOUBLE PPI YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY DOUBLE FOR AN IPHONE!
146. imran86 (Posts: 46; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Doubling the resolution doesn't mean doubling the ppi.
Galaxy s3 4.7" is 720*1280 = 921600 = 306 ppi
Galaxy s4 5" is 1080*1920 = 2073600 = 441 ppi and not the double of s3.
2. mr.techdude (Posts: 555; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Like to see how the iPhone with an excellent display in a tiny screen vs the best 'period' HTC one in a massive screen (compared directly to iphone) I mean what's the point of having that much ppi in a god damn small screen.
3. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
Come on Apple! We want to see something new! (Maybe 2 years warranty? )
55. LumiaLover (Posts: 160; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
Yes and improve your customer service while you are at it....oh, and please don't launch a phone with known faults, just to hit a launch deadline.
6. alterecho (Posts: 1091; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Is there going to be any difference taking the ppi beyond 326? I recall that anything beyond 320 ppi is not decernable by the human eye.
8. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
I guess the 5" iPhone+ will be coming out after all.
10. jshan (Posts: 199; Member since: 25 Dec 2011)
I think 4" isn't that much tiny.. What do you fellows says? Having higher PPI will give u the dazzle looking pictures and videos .. Right ?
11. rahulz (Posts: 117; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Yeah iPhone 5 already sport a nice display
but they should make it 4"3 in my opinion
hope they're new ui be modern and innovative also expecting changes in external design bcuz i personally like 4s design over 5
anyway best of luck apple you are a little behind of competition
bring something new real innovation to table...
12. byazatt (Posts: 159; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Talking about warranty, here in Kenya s4 is coming with a two year warrant, and two damage from handling insurance for liquid damage and or screen damage. Too bad that iphone 5 is not sold here.
13. shuaibhere (Posts: 1673; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
If this is true...then this is goin to be the best lcd ever in smartphone...
iphone 5 has a perfect screen...excerpt the low ppi...
25. goesoer (Posts: 13; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
326 ppi is low pixel? oh come on. 285+ppi I think on high density ppi category I think
50. shuaibhere (Posts: 1673; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Can you prove me wrong??? It's perfect..
56. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Yes I can prove you wrong....its a rumor idiot....it will never happen lmao
67. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Look at this samsung fanboy who doesn't want this to happen. Haha.
104. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
And look another isheep trying to come to terms with the fact his company is now so far Behind android! Baaaa go graze with the rest of the heard!
114. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
"....so far behind android.." Haha, it's your opinion dumba**. There's nothing that an iPhone can't do that your lame touchwiz can, with the help of 3rd party apps I mean!
98. shuaibhere (Posts: 1673; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I said iphone 5 has a perfect screen...is it rumour??? wow!!! you should be from different world...
139. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Hope and wish this dosen't come true!
Just leave how things are, and heading down south!
145. darkkjedii (Posts: 12611; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Why would you want that? If apple closed its doors do you realize the negative impact the would have on the mobile industry?
62. giri555 (Posts: 109; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
1.Size - 4 inch, in 2013, with weird shape/aspect ratio? Very bad
2. Resolution- not even 720p, when 1080ps are being the minimum for flagship category phones.
3.Viewing Angles - are still not the best
66. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
1) weird aspect ratio? LOL it's the industry standard 16:9.
2) 326 ppi IS SHARP ENOUGH.
3) viewing angles ARE THE BEST.
Don't believe me? Head over to displaymate's extensive review of iPhone 5's display.
So now, there can be 3 reasons for your totally stupid comment
1) You are from Antarctica.
2) You're a butthurt fanboy.
3) You're a butthurt fanboy from Antarctica.
82. roldefol (Posts: 3180; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I assume he means a weird phone shape, ie everyone else was able to fit a 4+" 16:9 screen without making their phones taller. It's all in how Apple packages their earpiece, mic, speaker, etc.
I cracked up at your 3) btw.
147. Taters (Posts: 3597; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
The aspect ratio is retarded. 16:9 at 640 horizontal is absolutely ridiculous. 640 is about right for a 3:2 aspect ratio at 640.
So either the 16:9 aspect ratio makes the iphone 5 screen look like you are looking through two metal bars in a jail cell or mimics what it is like looking at a screen shaped as a ruler...
or the iphone 4s 3:2 aspect ration at 640 horizontal makes the 4s screen look like a squat midget or a tree stump.
You can only have it one way or the other, they both can't be ideal.
I would say it is the former and the iphone 5 screen is so tall and skinny at 16:9 that it is like squinting so that you can see a picture printed on a toothpick.
3:2 aspect ration is right for 640. 16:9 at 640 is retarded.
131. ecmedic4 (Posts: 202; Member since: 02 May 2013)
The iPhone 5 does have a excellent screen, so what if it isnt 5 inches...not everyone wants a screen that large. Its still very crisp and sharp, and brightness is very good as well. Color reproduction is very good as well, being quite close to true to life colors. Im sorry, but if a persons only argument is its small or has a low ppi, then you have a crappy argument.
148. Taters (Posts: 3597; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It's not a crappy argument. People fail to realize that watching Lord of the Rings on a gameboy is just plain horrible, no matter how sharp and how many ppi that gameboy is. Of course size makes a difference.
The iphone 5 screen is pathetic. Don't believe me? Take panorama or stitch together some photos on a high megapixel camera. View it on the iphone 5 in landscape.
The picture will look like this
Literally. In fact, the iphone 5 screen is almost that bad.
The latter would win every single time for viewing experience and it doesn't matter how sharp or nice the colors are on the straight line, it is too tall and skinny to show off anything. So of course size and shape matters. Size is probably the most important factor actually.
17. darkkjedii (Posts: 12611; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Apples digging in at the plate, ready to knock one straight to center field.
22. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Hafta wait and see bro!! I see Apple's trying everything to make a good come back.
74. darkkjedii (Posts: 12611; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It's time for some risk taking, just look how it's worked out for google. I think apples taken notice.
24. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Yep, 652 ppi Retina+ Display, a fingerprint sensor integrated into the capacitive home button coated with sapphire, thinner bezel, 13 MP camera, and iOS 7. Sounds more like an iPhone 6.
35. calim (Posts: 22; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
The amount of pixels double, not the ppi. Twice the ppi equals four times the amount of pixels.
38. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Alright I get it, you need not correct me every time!