The iPhone 5 is official - do you like it?
0. phoneArena 12 Sep 2012, 14:05 posted on
Isn't it amazing how the rumor mill managed to get most of the iPhone 5 features right? From the A6 processor and 4-inch Retina display, to the redesigned dock connector and slimmer profile, everything was leaked weeks prior to the announcement. But at the same time, despite the fact that the iPhone 5 announcement lacked any big surprises whatsoever, Apple's latest smartphone remains a handset with amazing specifications and premium design. And in all honesty, we kind of like it already despite not having the opportunity to try it out first hand, or at least not yet. But what about you?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Not really. No reasons to switch from iPhone 4S.
85. vanya (Posts: 5; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Yep. This is the flop device of the year. And the year is not quite done yet. So much hype, and so little to offer. Way to go Apple.
177. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
Do you like what the iPhone 5 turned out to be?
The most correct answer is...............................
Shame on you, Apple. Is the iPhone 5 the best you could come up with?
87. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3515; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Like I said uninspired design, hence the same iPhone 4 look just longer. Things that are staples on Android like navigation & 4" screens are "new" to the iPhone 5. The last but not least the same BORING iOS.
Apple is happily marching down the same path that was trail blazed by BOTH Nokia & RIM.
Looks like finally Apple's claim to fame (innovation) is going down the toilet.
NOT good Apple not good at all.
91. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
There was a survey that said not many people cared about LTE. 3G is fast enough they said.
99. ibap (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
It's fast enough until they get to use something faster.
115. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Bingo! I wonder if Apple fans will say iPhone made LTE popular.
117. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
most people don't understand data speed and what possibilities it enables for them. i was just telling my 4S owning friend earlier about how much faster LTE is going to be for the iPhone and he got excited because he thought it would fix the sluggish performance issues he has on his 4S sometimes. i could only shake my head.
145. -box- (Posts: 3566; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Maybe because apple folks are always anticipating the next software update, thinking it will somehow fix their recurrent problems.
I'm surprised apple doesn't make people pay for ios updates like they do for the mac os
90. htc_prep (Posts: 303; Member since: 09 Oct 2009)
i agree with you there is nothing ground breaking that would make an individual run out and change from their 4s.
but it is a very nice addition to an already stable consumer favored product. if apple made a big change it might scare off people that are used to gradual changes.
perfect for those who love the Apple ecosystem and a reaSONable upgrade choice for those early adopters of the 4.
157. arsenaljimenez (Posts: 137; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Its sad, pretty much every comment on here is negative
Where are the apple fans now??
2. abdane (Posts: 471; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Shame on you, Apple. Is the iPhone 5 the best you could come up with?
55. networkdood (Posts: 5517; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Wow...a new iPhone is released any all ready it is behind the one x, sgs3 and RAZR
98. htc_prep (Posts: 303; Member since: 09 Oct 2009)
its not about being ahead or behind its about offering a stable product for a large subscriber base.
yes there are more powerful option for other users.
since there is no one perfect product and best is all in theeyes of the beholder (user) this phone works for those who live in the ios ecosystem.
137. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I like how the fans twisting their statements.
First their commented leaks that it is not going to be iphone 5 because iphone 5 will look different and groundbreaking.
In the past they been buying iphone 3GS because it was the best phone there and they were so cooool.
Suddenly it is not about being ahead......
158. E.N. (Posts: 2218; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
The last time I checked, the One X, SGSIII, Razr, and iPhone 5 have very similar specs. Unless you want a huge screen, there's no combination of hardware features of the SIII or One X that puts the iPhone 5 to shame.
164. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
have we figured out how much RAM is in the i5 yet? That would be one area where they are possibly getting their arses still kicked. It still has no NFC, wifi direct, and a few other hardware features. Oh and the SGS3 uses the best audio hardware around.
Other than that, nah, its actually got a decent processor now, cant complain about that. Now they just have to do something with the OS so it can actually take advantage of the horsepower. Lets just hope this isnt another underclocked 800mhz joker like the i4s
171. E.N. (Posts: 2218; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
You're right about RAM, but that hasn't really been a problem for me in the past. We won't know anything about that until probably the 21st. As for the other features, Wifi Direct is nice, but it only works with Samsung Galaxy SIIIs (and maybe Note II), which is kinda lame. There's also Direct Call, S Voice, All Share, Smart Alert, and Pop-up play (which I still think is a gimmick). They're all nice features but they don't put the iPhone to shame. As for audio, the iPhone 5 has some tricks up its sleeves as well.
I'm betting the iPhone 5 is underclocked as well. But I've seen many previews of the iPhone5 and the keynote, and its seemed great.
Trust me, I really don't think hardware wise this is the best device eva (like I did with the iPhone 4), but I think all this online hate about being outdated is unnecessary and a little hypocritical. I am surprised about not including NFC though
183. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
My SGS1and my LG-Gslate have wifi direct. :) It's been around for a while. And it is on quite a bit of android devices.
It's definitely not out of date. If its the rebranded 4412 exynos like the A5x uses, or an A15 like some are praying for, its a strong chip either way. For the first time in quite a while its not "outdated". Its just not "magically superior" which is why I think peeps like to poke at it.
170. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 799; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Hey mate, no offense but try to compare the iPhone5 to the mid range SONY Xperia V in all angle/aspect you could think of. Should I say I dare you.?
109. vanya (Posts: 5; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Mediocre specs. And they call it "Innovation" LTE has been around for 2 years now. THE FLOP DEVICE OF THE YEAR GOES TO, *drum roll* Apple Iphone 5 or a.k.a Iphone 4s 2.0. Way to go Apple.
146. -box- (Posts: 3566; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
apple people are already anticipating the iphone 6, or 5S, or 4StretchS, or whatever
3. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5282; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
And I certainly am not going to trade my RAZR for the 5.
8. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5282; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Nothing like a dinky screen. Camera-wise, I am thinking of getting a Sony RX100.
4. techguy22 (Posts: 226; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
garbage. welcome to 2009 apple.
in 6 months IPhone 5S with NFC (maybe wireless charging)
i was a fan of Apple anyway.
i want their nano and IPT thats it
50. PAPINYC (Posts: 2044; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Oh crap, no NFC???
What kind of iScam is Apple running; this is sheer iRubbish.
5. hateftotti (Posts: 128; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Just want to know who said that the new iphone will put samsung to shame:D apple put itself to shame.
Note II>SIII>LUMIA 920>every phone from 2010>iphone5
71. parthpatels007 (Posts: 52; Member since: 27 May 2011)
lol i remember reading that comment too :D ahah. correction: Note II>SIII>LUMIA 920>every phone from 2010>Nokia 3310*>iphone5
151. Aeires (unregistered)
CEO of Foxconn, where you at?
6. Xperia42 (Posts: 60; Member since: 30 May 2012)
Samsung Galaxy S3 is a lot better!!! That's the best you come up with SMH. Getting the Note 2.
113. rusticguy (Posts: 2811; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
There's a WOW factor. They managed to copy Galaxy SII finally :)
9. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1471; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Lol at whoever is literally going to camp at an Apple store
51. mrbtree (Posts: 59; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
my local shopping mall is getting an apple store and I could literally see the horrible long lines and people camping out infront in my head.
10. xtian1103 (Posts: 352; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
didn't the iphone 4s "disappoints" when it launched last year? what happened and how come did it outsold all phone manufacturers for 10 months? are you sure all you apple haters don't want to buy the iphone 5 or just a hater in front of their keyboards? if this phone outsold the s3, given the 3 months headstart, then mission failed for all you haters.
27. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
That is not what the poll is about - comparing sales.
We were not impressed and thats it.
53. xtian1103 (Posts: 352; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
at least show the "not impressed" on sales
79. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
People ain't buying iPhones because they are impressed. They are buying iPhones because it is an iPhone! When was the last time you were impressed with what Apple released? 2007?
116. xtian1103 (Posts: 352; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
i'm impressed just now, and i'm sure you are too. you can type the disappointment on your keyboard but you can't stop the excitement inside of you
120. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
The time's long gone since Apple's announcements made us excited. Maybe we felt a little during iPhone 4, which brought a refreshing new design but that's it. Haven't had that kinda excitement since then.
152. Aeires (unregistered)
Welcome back, Taco.
35. MARKSPEAR77 (Posts: 40; Member since: 24 Nov 2011)
No way im just waiting the galaxy note 2.....
11. Andman314 (Posts: 60; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
The IPhone5 Should be called Iphone 4s XL!!!!
64. HTCFreak (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Jul 2010)
The SG note 2 should be called SGS3 XL!!! --'
77. Andman314 (Posts: 60; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
The SGS3 is a really goods phone. Now you have the best of both worlds a SGS3 and a Note put into one. Last i recall HTS is making a phone with a 5 inch screen. That should be called the HTC One XL!!!
159. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3656; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
There's already a One XL... It's the LTE version of the One X.
12. ObjectivismFTW (Posts: 211; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
The iPhone 5 is by far the most dull, uninteresting Apple release EVER. Idk how they will market this over the 4S.
13. sudbury78 (Posts: 123; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
I want to see all of you come back and comment on the phone arena article that apple has outsold every phone and has record sales. Mark my words.
23. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
if that happens we seriously need to start bringing education levels up because there must be alot of stupid people out there
apple has failed to bring anything new or revolutionary to the table, just made it bigger
54. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Of course we will come back. And say that it's surprising and outrageous. There and better phones out there and still this one sells most?
Then something's terribly wrong with people.
105. whysoserious (Posts: 313; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
You wont. Because that will never happen, brother.
14. Volcomguy51 (Posts: 18; Member since: 23 Jan 2011)
d people will still buy it. Apple sure are getting their money!
15. CardiWPfan (Posts: 129; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
I am sooooooooo disappointed in Apple with these new introduced product portfolio's today! I didn't see anything new brought to the table whatsoever!! Here was a perfect opportunity for Apple to bring NFC technology to the table what happened??? Come on Apple please don't kill Steve Jobs' legacy with craptacular rehash idea's!! Go with forward thinking please!! Watch Apple come out in March 2013 with Iphone 5S smh!!
140. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
why march ? iphone 4s came 1 year after 4 or not ?
16. twens (Posts: 446; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
i just wish one day ifans will wake up from this spell and smell the coffee...Apple has fooled you guy for too long. you complain about lag on android,gues what? its no more.s3 is just as smooth and faster than the iphone.spend your monies wisely.
17. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3656; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Yes, the iPhone 5 is okay, but a few more extras could have been thrown in.
Nothing amazing to make me switch from Android... Looks like it's down to the LG Optimus G, the next Nexus, and the Razr MAXX HD. Good try Apple, but not good enough.
18. MartyK (Posts: 669; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
You know, I was all about Samsung and possibly HTC with Google suing Apple to prevent this Iphone-5 from being release, but after hearing and reading about this phone;
I think it would be a waste of money and resouce on getting this junk ban...hahahah
19. Hamdan (Posts: 15; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
Everything Was leaked Months Ago Iphone,Ipod,Earpod,Small dock connector,..
Very Poor security..
Any How People who dont know about Tech. go & buy that Toy, m very Happy with my GALAXY NOTE.