The iPhone 5 and Tim Cook's genius at setting expectations
0. phoneArena 12 Sep 2012, 16:28 posted on
Every year since it was first announced, the annual iPhone event has been either a huge amazing success, or a catastrophic disappointment. Often, the iPhone event would be both at the same time, depending on who you asked. But, this year, it was nearly impossible to have an extreme reaction one way or the other, because we knew what was coming...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. eman99 (Posts: 182; Member since: 03 Aug 2010)
really !!! setting what expectations???? apple is playing catch up to all these other devices apple is not concened for the mass opinion. the rest of us want specs, larger screens, faster pocessors, and multiply ui's
3. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2604; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I don't know who "the rest of us" refers to, but the iPhone has a larger screen and faster processor. Try not to confuse your opinion with everyone's opinion. There are a lot of people in the world.
45. voxmarc (Posts: 299; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
hey MichaelH....do you love iPhone?please answer so everybody knows and everyone will be much careful nextime in bashing apple s@#%s...do you?...yeah it shows...iPhoneArena.
51. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2604; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I'm pretty sure everyone around here already knows that I'm an Android user, and I would never buy an iPhone for myself. Of course, my personal opinion doesn't change the fact that a lot of people in the world love iOS products. My wife and my mother love their iPads, but I'm happy with my Nexus 7.
52. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol. if you say anything negative about apple, you get blathering trolls screaming at ya. If ya say anything positive about apple you get blathering trolls screaming at ya. :)
53. ayephoner (Posts: 832; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
this is pretty true.
probably exactly why PA covers it so thoroughly. every comment, every page visit is $$$ in the bank. good for them.
46. Mittal (Posts: 425; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Have to agree with that!
A big chunk of the population who buy the iPhone to get a great overall experience package in a phone rather than to satisfy their geeky needs probably dont even frequent these tech sites.
So the opinions reflected here in this forum is hardly much conclusive about the latest iPhone
5. hosker (unregistered)
I just remember...what happen to the "ipad mini"? Are they having another event announcing it?
23. JC557 (Posts: 677; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
That's what I've been reading so far. Some say the announcment is a month or two away.
6. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
.......And, delivering disappointments.
12. Cosmo (Posts: 32; Member since: 03 May 2012)
iPhone 5 is THE BEST phone in the market right now.. :D Now we know Sammy will be producing elongated screens for their next Galaxy S4! HA~!
15. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I do hope that was intended as a sarcastic pro-Samsung comment.
16. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I do agree with you Michael:
"It's no more revolutionary than the yearly iterations from any other company"
But i am sick of their advertising and promotion. They know how to brainwash.
When I watched the promotional video of iPhone 5 it made me feel like the iPhone 5 is really special because they did so much work behind it. They know how to play on your feelings and make it always sound like the iPhone is from different world.
They should stop doing phones and concentrate on advertising. I am sure they can sell even a dead cat.
25. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1443; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I literally LOL'd at the dead cat comment. My boss just gave me the "get back to work" glare. Well done sir.
26. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I am sorry to put you in trouble at your work. That was not my intention.
Thank you for your reply. positive replies to my comments always makes me feel good.
17. alex13amaya (Posts: 4; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
the reason all these things leaked was because they wanted to lower the blow of dissapointment plain and simple, they knew they had nothing of innovation just an upgrade of the 4S, it was just a way to lower expectations so stop lying to yourself. just because you like Apple doesn't mean you have to believe all their BS
20. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
This is not just an "update to the 4S" though. No, it's not a dramatic redesign, but at least they increased the screen size significantly, added LTE and upgraded the processor. As Michael said, this is the iPhone we hoped for last year but got the 4S instead.
44. alex13amaya (Posts: 4; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
"increased the screen size significantly"? by .5 mm come on!! and yes you are right, this is the phone people expected last year, all these "new features" are a year outdated on Android but to each his own I guess.
29. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
this should have been the iphone 4, not 4s, not 5, the 4!!!
33. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I liked it when they placed emphasis on the amount of apps that apple has in their app store....lol, and yet over 200k of them have never been downloaded.
34. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 799; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
I get michael's point, genius indeed, but it's still saddening to see the almighty iPhone as of right now is the one playing catch-up to other Flagship phones.
36. JunkCreek (Posts: 379; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
It is AFFECT USER CHOICE IN AMERICA SINCE APPLE BANNING COMPETITOR PRODUCT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Apple REALLY DREW A FIRST BLOOD. That's WHY SO MANY PEOPLE NOW HATE APPLE.
40. JunkCreek (Posts: 379; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
So, the surprise from iPhone 5 is true: The Surprise is THERE IS NO SUPRISES AT ALL.
41. bucky (Posts: 1201; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Looks like a solid upgrade to me. Not quite sure what others were expecting. Great camera, great screen, fast, smooth, great battery, great AppStore, great ecosystem, great sound quality, great customer care, great software support, actually fits in one hand...what's there to bitch about?
It's nice to see a top notch phone not blowing up to tablet size. I had the intl sgs3 and it's a great phone but who the hell can take it seriously pressed up against the ENTIRE side of your face and requires two hands to use (I'm a 6'2 slavic dude too!)
48. bucky (Posts: 1201; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I'd love to see you use the phone with one hand.
42. voxmarc (Posts: 299; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
Not even near the S3 when it comes to specs and innovations....