The iPad and iPhone graphics processor maker buys MIPS' CPU tech, ARM bags its patents
0. phoneArena 06 Nov 2012, 08:13 posted on
Imagination makes the PowerVR graphics processors that have rocked quite a bit of benchmarks in the iPad and iPhone, and now for $60 million it has bought CPU technology in the form of 82 patents, complete with 160 engineers from ARM's smaller UK rival, MIPS...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. hung2900 (Posts: 900; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
What Apple can do if it happens, divorcing ARM CPUs (which they called the CPUs "designed" by themself) or divorcing PowerVR GPUs (which made Apple SoCs be the best in graphic benchmark results)?
Quite hard huh?
2. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Can't be that hard. Apple's frenemy, Samsung, is still making screens and processors for Apple.
3. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
As well as use ARM designs for their Exynos chips which are beasts in their own right. This just means better things are on the way from ARM.
4. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no seriously, I've read it like 4 times and I have no idea what your saying.
Apple and Imagine will never separate. Apple has leaned very heavily on PowerVR to be able to keep its CPU needs low. It would have to have an OS paradigm shift at this point to break away from its simple OS (not CPU intensive) and its high quality games (very GPU intensive) routine.
5. murali_v_2000 (Posts: 21; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
Why the hell do you refer to Imagination Tech as "The iPad and iPhone graphics processor maker". Can't you post an article without referring to iCrap ?
6. sonnyt (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
Thanks for pointing that out too. I couldn't believe author couldn't just say MIPS instead.
I love PA pictures and stuff, but probably will just scan through writing in the future..
8. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 171; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
The PSP uses a MIPS processor, so the capability and potentional performance is there.
9. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
uuhhmm... so apple really want to do it their own?! good luck to that!