The forbidden fruit: here are 8 great Android apps that Google does not allow on Play store
0. phoneArena 12 Dec 2014, 09:20 posted on
Google might have a mind-boggling over a million applications in the Play Store, but you just won’t find certain apps there…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
59. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4793; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
You can download Snes9x at the Google Play Store.
6. BadAssAbe (Posts: 454; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Idfreeyoutubedownloaded is better than tube mate
Also try game guardian ; )
Pokedroid is a pokedex
SAnime for anime/cartoons
19. hipnotika (Posts: 353; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
Idfreeyoutubedownloaded where did u download it ? i couldnt find it.
47. marcski07 (Posts: 598; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
is there an app where you can just search movies or tv-series and stream or download it there? i like an app that is straight forward and organized, i like the miui music, where you can search, stream and download without opening a browser, i want just like that, but for movies and tv-series... , because what i'm doing right now is torrenting from kickass,
57. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
couchtuner.eu is a great website for that. normally its on the site within an hour of actual TV playtime. I stream that from my computer/phone through chromecast all the time.
78. Fallen1 (Posts: 277; Member since: 14 Nov 2014)
Yup been using this for months now ever since cartoon HD was shut down
60. maherk (Posts: 3323; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Can't get the MIUI music app installed on my Note 4. Keeps getting me, app not installed!! Any workaround for this error?
62. marcski07 (Posts: 598; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
sorry i don't know another way to install it, try erasing it and reboot your phone, then re-download it, if it still doesn't work, google might help you. :D
83. RootByTheFoot (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Apr 2015)
I just installed it on my note 4.. I know you can't install the MIUI express launcher on the note 4 if you're running Lollipop. The devs said its not ready for lollipop yet so that could be your issue. I had to go back to KitKat.. Also seeing as you posted this 5 months ago I doubt you were running lolli at that point. But good luck
58. hemedans (Posts: 432; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
gameguardian go well with freedom for in app purchase
8. Planterz (Posts: 1974; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Other than free tethering/wifi hotspot, AdAway is the best reason to root your phone. Not only does it block ads within apps/games (assuming the ads aren't built-in to the app), it blocks ads within whatever browser your're using. It's especially handy when viewing those horrible websites with those translucent pop-over (not popup) ads that you can't close because they keep recentering themselves. I prefer Dolphin, but before I rooted my phone, I could only vew certain websites with Firefox (which I love on my computer, but don't like on my phone - weird text size formatting) because it has an ad blocker plug-in. One such website that is EXTREMELY mobile-browser UNfriendly happens to be THIS website, phoneareana.com. Rather ironic.
AdAway makes using the WWW on my phone far less frustrating.
11. Planterz (Posts: 1974; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I should add that I love PA. Great reviews, great articles, bleeding edge news. I don't come here to gripe or troll (excpet for the occasional iOS idocy). And I understand that ad revenue is how the bills and wages get paid. But viewing PA on a mobile device should be hassle-free. If not for simple convenience, but in principle. I shouldn't have to use a specific browser with a plug-in or root my phone and use AdAway, as great as it is, to vew PA without having to deal with ads that make visiting it nearly impossible.
71. elitewolverine (Posts: 4926; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
I know what you mean, the overlay is slow, buggy and i hate it. I rather be redirected with a skip ad feature than to have this annoying overlay that bugs me all tohell. WP IE doesnt suffer, just zoom out and you can close it, but still annoying as hell.
13. Planterz (Posts: 1974; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Comments go from 3 to 6 to 8 to 11. Something appears to have been deleted...
15. Victor.H (Posts: 631; Member since: 27 May 2011)
We've hidden one of our commenter's thread as per their own request.
16. Adithya7184 (Posts: 317; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
tubemate-----yeah...i m still using it
17. Planterz (Posts: 1974; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Tubemate is great. I've used it a few times, for videos that I want to show people over and over. The screaming goats and the "Eleven" clip from "This is Spinal Tap" are the top two.
22. thesilentnight (Posts: 5; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
I remember dood's music streamer...ive tried to get that apk for quite some time..does anyone have a link for it, or a suggestion as to where i can get it?
23. Victor.H (Posts: 631; Member since: 27 May 2011)
All the links are in the slideshow! You just have to click on the heading to get to the .APK
24. thesilentnight (Posts: 5; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
Thanks, i went to the mysticdeath site, but the apk didnt download...@ Victor
25. Victor.H (Posts: 631; Member since: 27 May 2011)
It all works fine here, the problem is on your end.
28. Reverend2100 (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 May 2013)
Can I point out that Ad Blocking Apps don't harm Google anywhere near as much as it harms independent developers. And for full disclosure I should tell you that I'm an independent developer. I have made and launched two very successful games, for free. I have over 200,000 installs, and I should be making half-decent revenue from advertising. Unfortunately, because of ad blockers, my revenue is very small. Like, $20 a day.
In short, it's small individuals, or independent games developers, that you hurt by blocking adverts. And what will happen? We will have to charge for everything, and you won't get free games and apps anymore.
Just an indie app developer side of things, in case anyone's remotely interested.
30. illiad (Posts: 120; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
first I hope you choose your advertisers carefully - If they insist on putting large flashing screens, or misleading ads saying 'you you have a message', the user will find a way to stop the ads!!
The problem with ad blockers on android.. they do not work like PC versions....
AFAICS, 'adblock for android' does NOT work the same as the 'firefox for PC' addon, that ONLY works with websites in FF..
31. Reverend2100 (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 May 2013)
I only use AdMob ads - they sit in a corner of the screen - they don't interfere with the user experience, or pop up, or sit in the display notification area...
32. catt4u (Posts: 143; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
I understand your side of the story.
But there are also apps that are not as 'sponsored' in the Play Store and stand or display annoying ads.
I always try to choose the paid version
And I have bought for over $ 225.00 of apps.
So if all devs would offer a paid version of their apps they could make more money then from the free(ad sponsored) versions only I think.
36. Gibscreen (Posts: 22; Member since: 03 Jun 2014)
I feel your pain but there's a flaw in your logic. You assume that people who don't have ad blockers will create significant revenue for you. But people who install ad blockers aren't the ones that would click through on the ads anyway. I've personally NEVER clicked through on an ad. So are you losing some money? Probably. But I'd guess that if ad blockers didn't exist maybe your daily income would increase from your current $20 up to maybe $25 tops.
P.S. if I consistently use an app and it only costs a few bucks I'll usually purchase the ad-free version so that the ads don't eat my data.
67. Deadeye37 (Posts: 160; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
I am on the same boat. I generally don't click on ads in apps. The only exception is the free version of AlarmClock+. Sometimes my tapping isn't accurate when I am rolling over in bed and trying to tap the snooze button bleary eyed.
50. avalon2105 (Posts: 219; Member since: 12 Jul 2014)
The issue for me and many others I know isn't existence of adds, it's the amount. Right now AdBlock Plus (Windows 7, Chrome) blocked 36 ad elements on Phonearena. For all sites that I visit daily and that have
72. darkflux (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Dec 2014)
then you should find a way to develop without being annoying.
advertising is not only annoying, it is evil. it affects subconscious thought and causes people to make decisions they would not make otherwise.
going "Inception" on people is not good ethics, and should not be thought of as good scruples...
and i really don't care if that is the only way free games can exist, because i'm sure that is most peoples' next retort.
like i said: find another way...
29. illiad (Posts: 120; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
CATCH for non-geeks... a lot of those apps need root... at least f-droid tells you this, clearly!! :)
34. petelin (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
cloud IPTV is my absolute fav. if you have a fat data plan you can watch all recent movies including, er, "unofficial" versions. it's sorta like a BitTorrent client that supports streaming playback and you never have to wait for the whole movie to download. It's a bit tricky to find. I can't post the link but you can google cloud IPTV APK and it should come up first
35. bytekj (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
whatsapp plus is a replacement for whatsapp available online. I am not able to post the url since i registered just now but if you search for whatsapp+ or whatsapp plus you should be able to find it. the UI of this app is exactly same as whatsapp but is customisable using themes. It also adds some features such as sending bigger videos, non resized images etc. developers are able to do that because I think these restrictions are placed from whatsapp client and not the server.
37. HomerS (Posts: 149; Member since: 19 Sep 2014)
There are much much better apps out there than TV Portal like for example
It's not even in the same ballpark.
38. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 2574; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Popcorn is also nice forbidden fruit
40. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Between TV Portal and Showbox I'm not sure I need cable anymore! Thanks for this!
48. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Here's the link for it:
84. kevinmalcom (Posts: 1; Member since: 29 May 2015)
I just downloaded showbox from aazee.com/showbox-apk-file-download-for-android.html and its work fine
41. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I use snex9x
Ah... those good old days of 8 bit gaming....just can't forget it...
42. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I use snex9x
Ah... those good old days of 8 bit gaming....just can't forget it...
43. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
And if I'm not wrong it was there before a week or two...
69. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
16 it is...i have nostalgia.nes for 8 bit gaming too...
45. theguy2345 (Posts: 1177; Member since: 24 Jun 2014)
i actually have an app on my WP that allows me to cache tons of music, all for free. It`s called amazing music and is available on the WP store. Actually, a lot of alternatives to these are available on the WP store.
46. blunt.wizard (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Dec 2014)
I like the iPhone in the second photo of the snes9x album
49. sprockkets (Posts: 1611; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Weird. I just downloaded snes9x plus. Not the same thing?
Works much better emulating say, chrono trigger and using your favorite controller vs. the actual crappy version square sells.
Also, this is the ONLY N64 emulator you should get.
or the non donate version. Both have no ads and is open source. All the others are crappy clones who added ads to it to make money off of the original.
52. avalon2105 (Posts: 219; Member since: 12 Jul 2014)
Don't know about Chrono Trigger but controls in FF VI were beyond terrible. Playing it form ISO image via ePSXe is infinitely superior experience, especially if you have any kind of hardware controller attached, either wired or bluetooth. I hope Square Enix fixes their android controls before they release FF VIII for android.
55. sprockkets (Posts: 1611; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Yep, they are bad. And the emulator makes it look better somehow :)
51. Salo7a (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Hey You Forgot Freed.. Oh,I Probably Shouldn't Have Said That :o
53. Settings (Posts: 1440; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Freedom doesnt work on Lollipop and I read that the developer wont update it anymore.
to name a few.