The dark side of the Samsung Galaxy S5: 5 (plus one) mighty annoying features
0. phoneArena 09 May 2014, 10:28 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S5 came amidst sky-high expectations, and Samsung mostly delivered with top of the line hardware in the form of the Snapdragon 801 system chip…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 520; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
The Phonebook and contacts app still lags? I don't know why Samsung still can't fix a simple problem like that.
14. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 520; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I wonder why FriendsOfSamsung is not replying my comment.
118. sar44 (Posts: 266; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
Samsung please make in the next Galaxy S and Galaxy Note smartphone:
Aspherical lens in the lens (i dont know whether they are now in S5)
Remove modulation at medium and low brightness, as it did in the Fly IQ444 Diamond 2 Quattro, Motorola Razr HD (XT925) and LG G Flex
Remove all profiles except the cinema and photo mode, because at testers gray is blue, red is orange, they specially put other profiles that have very cold tone (6500-6700K - cinema mode, 7500-8000K - others). Anyway all image are designed for SRGB standard, and enhanced range is color distortion and oversaturation. Also need 100% SRGB.
Metal Body (antennas should be behind the plastic, glass or other material, but not metal, so did HTC, Apple and Sony, otherwise the connection will be very bad)
It would be ideal. Isocell, improved super amoled (brightness, viewing angles, color reproduction in cinema mode (106% instead of 122%, 100%-ideal), anti-glare), waterproof, interface speed and battery life is awesome.
132. sgtdisturbed47 (Posts: 172; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
OIS, strong battery life, lag-free UI, and ease-of-use is why I own an LG G2.
22. Hyperreal (Posts: 130; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
45. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3778; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Why doesn't Samsung spend more on quality control over marketing is beyond me. Some of those could easily be remedied since they have the money.
66. Ashoaib (Posts: 2318; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
"Wake up the dead" is a very nice feature. Its a plus point not a turndown... lolz
104. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3383; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
This feature for people who have been watching too much Netflix... :)
106. JC557 (Posts: 1146; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I see more people complaining about weak vibrating alerts and praise any company that puts out strong ones for those times the phone is on silent mode. You can change the intensity so I don't see the problem.
TouchWiz needs some optimization that's for sure. The nature sounds... I always change the default ringers for something I loaded up myself so a non-issue really. If you're tired of the whistle notification blame the users who won't change it.
Even though I own and prefer the HTC M8, some of these are just really nitpicky and non-issue. That being said, one of the annoying features should be the diehard Samsung fans that troll articles on other OEMs.
94. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8717; Member since: 14 May 2012)
From an actual Galaxy S5 owner since day one:
1) Fingerprint scanner works 9/10 times the first time I try to unlock the phone, even with my Otterbox
2) The vibration strength is way too over exaggerated. My Sensation 4G and MyTouch 4G that I used to have was about the same
3) Contacts app does not lag at all. I can swipe up to scroll down and it will blaze through all of my contacts with ease. Swiping a contact to the right to make a phone call takes less than a second so idk why people are making such a big deal about it?
4) This is the best version of TouchWiz that I've ever used. The only thing I don't like is the Settings menu where options are repeated, such as sound and display more than one
5) I like the little "bloop" noise as well as the little click noise on the LG G2 (personal preference)
6) I keep my nails cut to a reasonable length and have absolutely no difficulty opening the charging port. I can open it in pitch black at three in the morning
I want to see if PA repeats this article with other flagships on the market, because I can name cons for each one.
107. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3383; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I don't have much issue with TouchWiz. There's enough useful functionality so I find myself missing some things when I use my Nexus and plain Android.
On the Note 3, I found TouchWiz lagged a bit from time to time and I had to install Nova to get rid of the dumb "MyMagazine" that was hardwired to the home button.
But the new TouchWiz on the GS5 is just a sea of homogeneous round icons that are difficult to tell apart. I don't think Samsung has any real plan for TouchWiz. They made it flat and homogeneous because iOS 7 was flat and homogeneous. IMO, it's worse now.
95. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Only one that would concern me is that Touchwiz ...still ...lags.....
They need to just use stock Android. They should have kept the Cyanogen ROM folks. Many of us thought that was the beginning of Touchwiz being good.
Now they are with the One Plus One folks.
99. JunitoNH (Posts: 933; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Maybe, it will stop lagging after they add twenty more cores, 25gb of ram, and extra butter.
108. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3383; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
It will still lag because Samsung will have 12 BIG cores and 12 little cores and always be swapping between them.
26. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
A vibration that can wake up the dead!!! Rofl!!! OMG! Am rolling all over the place. Lol
3. imnotascammer (Posts: 47; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
Uh... would this site ever gonna do the same article for Iphones?
46. Leo_MC (Posts: 557; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Why, do you think iPhones have such problems?!
90. Leo_MC (Posts: 557; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Not at all: touch id works, vibration is in limits, no lag, ui is great, plesant sounds; no protective cover for charging port.
121. Leo_MC (Posts: 557; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
I've seen something with a dial round thing on it; my grandfather told me it is a phone ;).
You are right about bluetooth, except it too works for Apple [authorised] devices.
98. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Ok....now what about things with iPhones that dont work well?
Thats what post #3 is saying.
And before anyone says the iPhone has no problems....please read the troubleshooting sections of macrumors first. Or just any iPhone, iOS troubleshooting section of a large site.
111. Diezparda (Posts: 210; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
iOS 7 crash, it bounce me back to spring board once a while. The audio jack was stop working when i connect my headphone and i need to reset all setting to fix this problem.
No lag? no problem with iphone? I ask you why apple need to updates iOS so much that every time i connected my device to the iTunes it ask me to update the iOS version?
122. Leo_MC (Posts: 557; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Change the phone, it must be broken.
Have you ever thought that Apple updates it's OS because it wants it's users to have the best software findings as fast as possible?
124. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
"Change the phone, it must be broken."
Apply that to this article...and all of sudden we have no article...
128. Leo_MC (Posts: 557; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Dude, iPhones have their own unpleasant issues - I can accept that; can you accept what this article sais about Samsung?
133. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Of course I can accept it....I dont even like Samsung phones...
But you basically inferred that iPhones dont have issues by listing all the same issues this article posted...and said the iPhone has no problems with those issues, when the post you replied to didnt say specifically these issues for an iPhone article, but just an iPhone article like this....
134. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Especially after finding this:
So...who do I believe....you or this article about Apple being aware of the problem with TouchID...
137. Leo_MC (Posts: 557; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
I only said, I quote: "Why, do you think iPhones have SUCH problems?!", I never said it doesn't have ANY issues.
Have you ever uses Touch ID? I have and I have friends that have used it. No problem whatsoever (one of them still has 7.0 because of full screen call).
138. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
And the post you were replying to didnt make such a claim as the exact same problems as this article....
He just wanted an article similar to this for the iPhone: 5 (plus 1) mighty annoying features.
As for TouchID, no....I havent touched an iPhone since the 4. Just browsing around the world wide web I stumbled onto that article.
139. Leo_MC (Posts: 557; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
If you haven't used an iPhone since 4, how do you know there are annoying features with it?!
I know because I use the darn thing, but you? why do you speak if you have no f* ideea?!
140. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Tell all the ppl at macrumors iPhone troubleshooting section they are lying then.
Tell anyone at any iPhone troubleshooting section they are lying.
I dont just make stuff up. I even pointed to an article were Apple admitting to knowing about the TouchID problem. Are they making things up?
In case you didnt know...the same can be said for any mobile OS. None are trouble free....every one has a troubleshooting section. But for some reason...iPhones sections must dont exist.
141. Leo_MC (Posts: 557; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
I'm sure all the phones have that but, as I can't talk about... Tinzen or Firefox os because I have never used them, I expect that ios problems to be talked by... ios users, not by one who hasn't been using an iphone since 4.
71. Ashoaib (Posts: 2318; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
For sure NO... bcoz iphone is the most innovative phone in the history... by the way samsung is a so called copy of iphone so above list annoying features must be present in iphone as well otherwise its not fair to call samsung a copy :p
4. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
People love the phone and it sells, has proven pa argument is total invalid, Samsung has his own league and no one come even closer on that, best interface, best camera, best build quality, best screen, best of every android smartphones.
If Android, then Samsung, no doubt galaxy s5 is the best and will remain the best another 2 more years. Shame on you PA!!! Stupid Stupid!!!
13. Hyperreal (Posts: 130; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
The part with best build quality was the most funny. Lol. Stupid are your blind fanboy comments.
41. Commentator (Posts: 2437; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Guys please. He's obviously been hired by LG, HTC, Sony, or Apple to give Samsung fans a bad name.
53. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 520; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Maybe yes, maybe not. But he deserves to get banned.
60. refillable (Posts: 643; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Lets write a petition. I am giving a 101% agreement with your statement.
15. fireblade (Posts: 714; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
I know you get a lot of money from Samsung by making comment like this. Please give us some
35. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5482; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Even if he is hired to troll then probably not by Samsung. Because with such silly trolling he is just making shame for Samsung and for adequate Samsung fans.
72. androtaku (Posts: 187; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
highly suspected he hired by apple to make samsung fanboy look dumb
16. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Your comment is total invalid, you probably don't even know what you're talking about but you only want people to know how much you love Samsung. I feel pity of Samsung because they have a stupid blind fanboy like you.
The reason why PA post this kind of article is because they want to show us what we may not like on the phone itself. That also means that the S5 is not perfect, it's excellent but not perfect, nothing is perfect. If you love Samsung, you should stop talking BS here, stay on topic, don't act so insecure when someone talk bad about Samsung, because Samsung is not perfect.
84. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Actually I am very disappointed and feel sorry or phone arena with this article that cause these argues and wars and disrespect comment by some people.....!!! Whats your intention PA...? If you dont have any news so why make arguments..!? I know every phone and brand has their pros and cons...if you do this for S5 please do it for every flagship and brand..!
23. DocOc (Posts: 111; Member since: 23 Apr 2014)
The fact that Galaxy phones sell so well despite several critical flaws is a reflection who Samsung's customers are not on the quality of the product.
135. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Maybe you definition and their definition of critical are different...
Plus anytime the iPhone 4 could break sale records...with Antenna Gate....anythings possible.
25. fireblade (Posts: 714; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
ok... you can say that to the flagship Galaxy S5. What about mid & low end Samsung phones? They are crap, worse than some random Chinese phones.
best build quality my asss
64. latido (Posts: 42; Member since: 31 May 2012)
I agree with PA point number 3.. aLL touchwiz version lag even their top flagship. SAMSUNG just idiot! Hope PA can check more the bad side of all samsung flagship before we buy it.
136. SamDroid (unregistered)
Dude your posts are like announcements in a bar. Everybody's drinking peacefully and suddenly you walking and everybody starts pounding you...:)
Do you by any chance work for Samsung?
5. ocilfa (Posts: 333; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Wow, talk about nit-picking. This phone does not deserve anywhere near the amount of hate it gets.
125. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I agree...along with a few others that posted similar.
I dont like Samsung phones....but this is borderline nit picky. Like I said earlier...only one I would have a real issue with is Touchwiz lagging.
All the other issues could be faulty device or just small inconveniences. And if its the only two stock apps that lag....might not even be Touchwiz as a whole. Sammy might just need to optimize those apps.
Moto a few years ago had a laggy gallery app. Many blamed Moto software for it....turns out all Moto had to do was redo, update the gallery app. Problem gone or minimized.
10. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
Go away troll