The White House responds: phones and tablets should be unlockable
0. phoneArena posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:11
The system looks like it's working. We the people signed a petition on We The People. We wanted our voices heard on the topic of being able to legally unlock our carrier-locked cell phones, and the White House has responded. And, interestingly, the White House fully agrees with our complaints, and wants to go a step farther and make sure that tablets are free to be unlocked as well...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Nokianhero (banned) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:15 1 20
Nokia is always making phones unlock able, it is standard for lumia!
10. menny07 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:48 8 1
^the above *nods head*
Lesson: Don't be an ignorant fan boy :)
13. Nokianhero (banned) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 17:02 0 10
No its standard for nokia. Now other phonemanufactures wants to copy!!
17. _PHug_ posted on 04 Mar 2013, 17:26 5 0
This new Nokia bit is hilarios
18. procopiojose posted on 04 Mar 2013, 17:27 8 0
nokia can add free escort service with their phones but it will still not sell.. period.. (gets money and run to a nokia store)
22. Omarc07 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 18:45 3 0
@ nokia hero so is sony they sell all there phones unlocked online
24. Bernoulli posted on 04 Mar 2013, 20:23 0 0
How come they won't unlock the lumia 920 from at&t?
2. QWIKSTRIKE posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:16 8 0
Now if we the people can ask congress to make changes on things that really affect our lives with a petition! Your voice does count when you exercise the right to use it.
6. Droiddoes posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:35 14 0
Came in to post just this. We will let them strip away our liberties and freedoms one by one, but we'll be damned if they try and f*ck with our gizmos and toys.
8. ZeroCide posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:37 7 0
Maybe we can petion for those back to. Starting with internet freedom.
7. ZeroCide posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:35 7 0
Ask your iphone it may explain then you will believe.
4. technut posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:24 3 0
It's nice to be heard for a change. Thanks phonearena for bringing up the petition!
15. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 04 Mar 2013, 17:17 3 1
Well Michael, thanks for writting those articles and informing us on the matter. God bless
16. Just_a_boy posted on 04 Mar 2013, 17:23 5 0
The U.S. market is bigger than our in Brazil, but all phones sold here are Unlocked, even those sold on contract. Is law here give the consumer the right to choose, and the carriers are obligated to make the portability in 24 hours if the consumer want to change from carrier.
19. yyuu1000 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 18:23 1 0
Get a nexus device I tell you the nexus 4 is great
20. corporateJP posted on 04 Mar 2013, 18:27 3 0
Great. They heard us. Now it will take another ten years to put it into law again that all phones should be unlockable. Of course, let's not forget all the additional pork that will be added to the bill.
25. networkdood posted on 04 Mar 2013, 22:37 0 0
I would say that any non-subsidized product be unlockable.
26. Reluctant_Human posted on 05 Mar 2013, 07:19 0 0
Your locked into the contract not the phone. The phone is an incentive. If you get a free hat for going to a baseball game are you obligated to wear it throughout the game and keep it for life?