The Samsung Galaxy S 4 can double as a gaming console
0. phoneArena 19 Mar 2013, 01:15 posted on
The other day, we showed you the Samsung Game Pad not because of its capabilities, but because the description of the accessory showed that it fit a device as large as 6.3 inches and that just so happens to be the rumored screen size of the unannounced Samsung GALAXY Note III; now we are showing you how the Game Pad turns the Samsung Galaxy S 4 into a game console...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
5. garz_pa (Posts: 154; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Perhaps that's why it's called an 'accessory.'
17. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
You banged your head??
How on earth is this gimmick??
39. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Gimmick? Maybe not. Ugly? Yes! Lol the moga seems better to me
40. 0bsessions (Posts: 7; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
The Moga certainly is more aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not sure if this thing won't be a bit more comfortable. I've played around with the Moga at a few Verizon stores and while it's sleek and very portable looking, it's also not entirely comfortable even in small doses. I can't imagine the kind of cramps from more extended play and I honestly have relatively small hands for a guy my height.
I've been eyeing the Moga anyway, just because it looks like the best current solution for playing some games on my phone, but I may wait until this thing drops just so I can try both.
30. doejon (Posts: 398; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
a smartphone itself is a gimmick.. lol
go buy a nokia 3310..
3. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 140; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
This device just keeps getting better and better.
18. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Yet the haters will keep on hating.
Now go on, thumb me down, losers
25. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I thumbed you down even though I agree with you.
4. polyploidy90 (Posts: 10; Member since: 25 Apr 2012)
Another reason why to go for S4 & not HTC or Sony is how samsung stands behind their products & keeping them always updated not just with offering newer android os versions but also with accessories & software like how they announced that all the new S4 software related features will be available on S3 beside getting the new keylime pie, this is how Sammy rules & will still rule despite the lack of innovation regarding S4 design. You can easily call this Game Pad innovaion.
13. alterecho (Posts: 1098; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
If Sony puts in full hearted effort to bring Playstation games to their phones, it's game over for other manufacturers. Think about it... God of War, Metal Gear,... Games which only Sony holds the rights.
Even Windows Phone 8 has tremendous potential if they can bring in old XBOX games, and any manufacturer adopting WP8 would be having good gaming capabilities. If only they to put more effort in bringing those old games to the platform.
Sony has studios such as Sony Santa Monica, Microsoft has Microsoft Game Studios, 343 Industries with Halo rights... These two are sitting on some gold mines. They obviously can't bring the recent ones, they can atleast try resurrecting the older gems.
14. polyploidy90 (Posts: 10; Member since: 25 Apr 2012)
I know they can but they didn't which is my whole point because if they did so no one will go and buy their PSPs. They are looking at growing their business from a different view.
20. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Yes, but you have to keep in mind developers always go where money is, ie the user base.
According to surveys, only up to 20% of game developers will work for the next Xbox and ps4.
And a vast majority will turn to Android and iOS.
Some estimations say that consoles will sell only up to 35 million units this year.
At the same time,, you'll see over 300 million high end smartphones and ~ 200 million tablets sold!
Look at this device only!
It has some 40-50 GFLOPS of processing power (ab)
22. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
..geesh, darned this posting system.
Anyways, the S4 is already a very capable gaming device.
The efficiency of mobile platform environment can make some games running on this, to look almost as good as a ps3 titles.
And the S4 alone will likely sell more than 50 million units this year which will technically make it by far the most prominent gaming device released in 2013 (along with the iphone 5S, and iPad mini 2 i guess)
So, don't expect any studio to release major mobile game titles skipping on those devices.
It won't happen.
16. pyradark (Posts: 827; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
still no budget for that. hahaha
S4 SOftware is phenomenal, I agree that, still Ill go for Xperia Z
23. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
You do know that you can connect Android phones to DS3 controller right? There are plenty of 3rd party controller that were made for Android ages ago. No "Game Pad" innovation here
26. Note2waitingonNote3 (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
I agree 100%.With the Galaxy S4 and current Galaxy Note 2 this accessorie will be great. Gotta get this before the launch of the Galaxy Note 3.
6. ama3654 (Posts: 295; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
Can't wait any more for S4 and accessories, SUPER!!!
8. tiara6918 (Posts: 2026; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
The console is a really good idea for samsung to bundle up as an accessory for the s4. They've even featured some games and apps that are compatible with this
10. voxmarc (Posts: 332; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
the best thing about S4 is you have all the options in the world,almost nothing left unturn...i want this beast now!
11. voxmarc (Posts: 332; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
you can find the original video on this site below.....and try to look for the review on S4 IR blaster and Watch ON you'll be surprise....
15. anshul0000 (unregistered)
44. ebubekir26 (Posts: 315; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
why do you say that ?!,, show some respect man !
49. Myrith (Posts: 55; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
I dunno, I find her voice pretty annoying, especially with how the pitch flips up at the end of the sentence. :P
19. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
htc one having an aluminum unibody is a gimmick..
42. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
and same design with another phone company :)
50. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Right, who cares about hardware and build quality anyway? Oh right, most people.
21. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
I don't get it, just because it can be connected to a controller makes it a gaming console? Any android phone can be connected to a PS3 controller before this, why aren't they called a gaming console? They can play the same game that's the GS4 is playing.
24. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Yes, but you have to use micro to mini USB adapters, cable, game klip, and mapping software (in most cases).
This is ready to go, plug and play solution.
And trumps PS Vita in almost every way imaginable
28. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Except for the fact that PS Vita has Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Katamari Touch, Little Big Planet, Sound Shapes, Sly Cooper, Playstation all star, Gundam Breaker, Atelier, Disgaea 3, Metal Gear Solid, Persona 4 Golden, Rayman Origins...
You were saying something about PS Vita?
32. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
S4 has HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF GAMES, majority being free.
How many games Vita has?
How much a piece?
Btw, have you compared Modern Combat 4 with CoD black ops declassified?
33. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
..something tells me you have very little knowledge about Android games
35. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
..something tells me you have very little knowledge about PS Vita games.
Have you played any of those I mentioned? How does it compared to Android games?
34. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Having a lot of games doesn't means that they're all good.
No one play BOPS so doesn't really matter what matter is I enjoy Vita games more than Android games.
If you can afford GSIV, I don't think game price matters.
37. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Ps Vita has some good games, no doubt about that, but overall the content is so scarce next to Android that there's not even a comparison.
I don't have a Vita, but I have played tens of high end 3D games on my S3, fair amount of them being free.
Currently I'm playing Real Racing 3 (freemium game), and I've spent some 35 hours on it.
Had I paid 40$ for any of those games I'd waste a lot of money,that I can tell you.
It's an overwhelming difference
29. Hemlocke (unregistered)
This XBox 360 ripoff ( Even the button color is identical) is nothing new. Moga and others have already been doing this. The only thing Samsung deserves here is derision for slavishly copying a Microsoft product.
38. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Dude, does this means that Microsoft is gonna sue Samsung? NO, I know the button color is identical, but every spots of the console is nothing look-alike with XBOX's.
41. prokshit (Posts: 12; Member since: 20 Sep 2012)
U know This would have turned a very good concept if they had Included a Battery pack like thing+ wireless Joystick=More lasting game and reasonable for its large size... Then it would have been better.
43. Jyakotu (Posts: 844; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
Meh, I'll stick to using my PS3 for games. As I see it, games on mobile phones are just supposed to be quick distractions. They can't really compete with the experience of the Vita or 3DS for games. Some can, but not all of them can.
52. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Of course not all of them can.
But there's still PLENTY of full scale games on Android, in fact much more so than there is on Nintendo and Sony handheld.
It's WAY past the quick distraction phase, man.
You have full pc ports such as Max Payne, GTA, Final Fantasy, The Bard's tale, you have full rts and rpg games.
Hook them up like this, and you get a complete and mature gaming experience.
You wouldn't call GTA on ps3 a quick distraction would you?
Try to play and finish N.O.V.A. 3, and then get back to me, with a quick distraction story. It's better and longer than HALO 4, imo.
45. ChafedBanana (Posts: 368; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Why does every dock have to hold the phone vertically?
48. k1ng617 (Posts: 264; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
I have a Note 2 and Moga and trust me you can notice the input delay. Forget trying to connect it to a TV it'll be even worse.
51. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Moga is crap, almost all reviewers agree on that