The Samsung Galaxy K Zoom is the ultimate camera phone, and here's why
0. phoneArena 20 Aug 2014, 07:33 posted on
The Galaxy K zoom is the ultimate camera-specialized device, offering consumers a new kind of experience that they will not find on any other smartphone today. Sporting a 20.7MP camera and 10x Optical Zoom, the Galaxy K zoom far surpasses the industry standard 16MP smartphone camera. In fact, it is directly competing with many of the more advanced standalone digital cameras on the market today...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. danidin (Posts: 15; Member since: 15 May 2014)
Paying for an Advertisement to look like a review Says something about your product...
5. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9078; Member since: 14 May 2012)
But see here's the thing: The K Zoom can actually back up this claim as it's been proven to be one of the best camera phones on the market today.
12. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3068; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes, it's one of the best. I personally also like it but I want a dual SIM variant of this, I hope someday Sammy will make it.
And that chic is really very hot. :)
34. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 708; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
The keywords are "one of"...
And it's STILL pathetic to pay for an article-lookalike advertisement!
43. elitewolverine (Posts: 2398; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
One of the best yes, however only in optical zoom, without it, other camera's have proven to outdo the shooting device. One being the 1020 and 808. Of course anything with an optical zoom will win in zoom vs digital.
But in terms of performance, the 808 and 1020 especially in low light have seen to be better.
Lets also not forget the 1020 advantage of the RAW format
61. remtothemax (Posts: 242; Member since: 02 May 2012)
2 centimeters is by no means thin, even for a camera. Sony (and probably everyone, i just specifically remember theirs when they came out) has been doing pretty thin cameras for years now. it just reads a little ridiculous.
71. Humphrey.One (Posts: 23; Member since: 14 Nov 2013)
To be honest I prefer this kind of ad to those pop-up windows, site-scattering banners and most of that pesky stuff. Keep in mind that you don't pay a dime for quite a good piece of journalism here and they need to pay their Netflix and takeaway pizza bills too, so since PA reviews phones, I think it's not a bad thing for them to earn on this very thing instead of adding another banner.
And turn off your AdBlock for this site, if most of us had done that, they wouldn't have needed to use AdBlock-resistant advertisement.
And since we are trolling downhere already, I'd like to add that iPhone is the best and all Android and Windows phones' are blatant ripoffs. Thank you.
3. Tritinum (Posts: 341; Member since: 06 May 2014)
oh for fu*k sake stop the samsung's ads PA
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9078; Member since: 14 May 2012)
No one forced you to click on the article. Just take a second and let that soak in.
35. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 708; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
It wasn't presented as an advertisement; I hope PA gets s**tloads of $, 'cause it seriously detracts from their prestige!
51. downphoenix (Posts: 2502; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
It said it is advertorial under the top image.
44. elitewolverine (Posts: 2398; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
When you put a 'here's why' in the title, you dont expect an ad or something similar, you expect a comparo of a few pics from other leading cameraphones like the 808, 1020, s5
53. Settings (Posts: 806; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Im not here for the article, I'm here for the comments.
69. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 370; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
And how much money have you personally directly given to pa to support them? If its none then stfu. The pa guys need to eat to.
7. solidsnake695 (Posts: 74; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
phonearena is being samarena now always advertise samsung devices like they are the best in the world yet they dont know that k zoom is horrible in low light and even in good light
18. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3390; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Actually, just watching the photos in gsmarena, you can see that the photos are inferior in every way compared to S5, S5 Alpha, Z2 and so. Only thing that it has is the zoom zoom. Like Mazda zoom zoom you know? heh Ok also it has the 4:3 ratio which the S5 doesn't have
37. cezarepc (Posts: 627; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Yep zoom is the only reason you'll buy this instead of flagship.
16. tech2 (Posts: 2574; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Advertising is not the same thing as soul selling.
If you have problem with such posts then start donating to the site rather the b*tching when they're only trying to earn for their authors and admin cost for the site....smh
19. chunky1x (Posts: 263; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
Technically, advertising is soul selling.
21. tech2 (Posts: 2574; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Lol.....no its just a business model.
Almost all the website display advertisement in their site somewhere. So by your logic, have all of them sold their souls too ?
26. chunky1x (Posts: 263; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
Yes. They sold their soul to their capitalistic overlords for a specific number days, months or years. XD
38. Armchair_Commentator (Posts: 222; Member since: 08 May 2014)
and you're a member of that site reading their articles, does that mean you sold your soul too?
41. chunky1x (Posts: 263; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
Nobody paid me, so my soul is intact and a dark as ever.
36. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 708; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
Advertising is fine; presenting it as an article is low...
9. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3390; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Best camera phone maybe but not the best phone camera :)
13. hboy857 (Posts: 265; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
PapaSmurf is samsung's second best paid troll. Here I gave credit to where it's due. Happy now?
30. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9078; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Very. It's pretty much well known he trolls Sammy articles and expresses his rage in the comment section.
27. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9078; Member since: 14 May 2012)
By claiming the K Zoom, a dedicated camera phone, is actually one of the best? Not only did PA make that claim, but pretty much all tech websites did. Please educate yourself and quit trolling.
15. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3390; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Exactly. BTW almost didn't recognize you with the new pic.
28. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9078; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I love Burberry's iconic logo so I had to change it.
20. Wiencon (Posts: 314; Member since: 06 Aug 2014)
Hmm, independent reviews still put L1020 higher than this one so nice try Samsung.
23. tech2 (Posts: 2574; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
LOL......Z2 and GS5 have beaten the L1020 let alone K zoom in reviews by independent reviewers.
DoxMark is the most reliable name is the business when it comes to camera testing.
45. elitewolverine (Posts: 2398; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Mainly for video, not pictures. This was also before the RAW format which greatly improved color (which is the lowest on the photo scores vs the s5, but other scores like noise etc blow the s5 away). It was also a late aug 2013 test vs ones done in march/jan with later builds and raw.
"In summary then, the Nokia Lumia 1020 is one of the best camera phones for stills, but its video performance could be improved which lowers the overall ranking to fourth place.
In fact, under low light conditions the Lumia 1020 outperforms rivals, producing still images with low noise and detail preservation that are simply the best we’ve ever seen from a smartphone."
Not only that, once it got RAW format, it is still the only phone to go through the actual DXOmarks CAMERA test, not just the mobile test. Meaning it was up against dedicated cameras not phones.
ROFL nice try though
22. kkmkk (Posts: 122; Member since: 06 May 2013)
what i really want from my future smartphone is to have this camera capabilities without that huge hump in the back ................... this will really be the perfect smartphone for me
24. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3390; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Then you will never get the perfect smartphone because for 20x optical zoom you either need a hump or a very thick device
48. kkmkk (Posts: 122; Member since: 06 May 2013)
you cant know what the future could bring
for example we never thought the we would have 2k display in phone or 41 megapixel camera and much else
but here we are having al these thing
so saying that this thing cant happen is just madness and unfuture prof
58. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3390; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
But some things are just against the laws of physics. You can't fit a 10 liter water tank into a small phone. You cant fit a big optical zoom into a slim phone, because it just requires so much lenses an space. Something that may become possible, is a very high megapixel count and then a very advanced digital zoom.
63. kkmkk (Posts: 122; Member since: 06 May 2013)
i agree with you my friend
but we always should hope for the best and you dont know maybe laws of physics can be broken by the galaxy k zoom 10 ...... just maybe
29. TheMarelis (Posts: 3; Member since: 23 Mar 2014)
Still... Yellow Lumia 1020, your argument is invalid.
31. M5OOO (Posts: 11; Member since: 15 May 2013)
why they set this big heavy lens to phone? just for x10 optical zoom?!
this is easier with accessore and attachable lens ...
32. sip1995 (Posts: 1024; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Nokia Lumia 1020......more than your eyes can see.
33. tokuzumi (Posts: 385; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
This is a great phone, with one exeption; 8GB of storage. I'm sure Sammy uses 5+GB of that space, so you are basically not allowed to install any apps on the phone. I guess Samsung doesn't think you want to do anything but take pictures with the phone, and use their Galaxy suite of apps.
39. Malhar (Posts: 27; Member since: 29 Dec 2012)
Samsung must be paying PA for such articles...Everyone knows Nokia L1020 is the ultimate camera phone.
40. redmd (Posts: 930; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
The first sentence is a fact. You have to pay to advertise.
The second sentence is an opinion.
46. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 864; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
As someone who owns this and a 1020 and 808, the zoom in no way beats both of them. It has its strengths (zoom, extensive options, lots of artistic modes, and I love the face tagging) but as I had to learn, using it in low light conditions is a chore.
With my 1020 and 808, the flash is almost always enough to light the scene. Rarely will I ever touch the exposure. Not with the Zoom though. Every photo I took in a dark room (like at a bar) was incredibly dark for a phone that just fired a xenon flash. Turns out, you have to enter Program mode, which will allow you to adjust shutter speed and ISO only, play around until you find the right combo, and that's how you get decently lit photos. There is no screen where you can't access all settings like you can on the 1020 which is a major drawback of a supposedly camera-centric device.
The lack of an LED light is also a big loss too. It only has the red focus light (think N8), so no recording video at night. Sound quality won’t be anywhere near as good as the 1020, let alone 808 either.
If you want Android and a great camera with a xenon flash, it’s the only phone to go with, until Samsung finally realizes that all they need to do is take an S5 and throw a xenon+LED onto it.
47. javy108 (Posts: 166; Member since: 27 Jul 2014)
With no TouchUI this would be really awesome
50. gigaraga (Posts: 1384; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Way better than 1020. I don't even know why people are excited and happy saying the 1020 is better. Bottom line, it is not. K Zoom FTW
52. Damo579 (Posts: 232; Member since: 18 May 2013)
The k zoom has better zoom capabilities but that's it. In most conditions the 1020 is better.
54. Venkatramanan (Posts: 255; Member since: 15 Aug 2014)
He is the Samsung fan who praise samsung if they give a crappy overpriced gadget. Don't try to explain these trolls.
56. wilsong17 (Posts: 1127; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
The problem are not the fan the problem is you... who do you think want a good camera phone running window... is that why they sell so much oh wait