Texas Instruments shareholders want the company to exit the mobile chip business
0. phoneArena 13 Aug 2012, 10:59 posted on
Shareholders of TI want the company to face facts and realize that Qualcomm's S4 processor and the upcoming NVIDIA Tegra 3+ are eating Texas Instrument's lunch and want the company to exit the mobile chips business...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
47. zothen (Posts: 12; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
A couple of things missing here.
1) When a TI SoC goes in a device, it's surrounded by a bunch of TI analog and digital companion parts as per TI's reference design. So your analog business will eventually suffer once other brands get put in the reference designs.
2) Everybody keeps talking about the A15 and how it will perform better than S4, but an equally large part of the story is what parts have the best MIPS/milliwatt. The A7 CPUs that will accompany the A15s in 2013 SoCs will be way more efficient than the S4 when max performance isn't needed, but perhaps the S4 have better efficiency than A15, so OS/software implementation and application context may play a big role in how they compete.
TI was the first or second to announce an A15 SoC last year. This latest Samsung announcement is their second or third announcement. I'd expect them to come out within 2 or 3 months of each other.
As far as the investors go, shareholders (and thus usually board members) always pressure companies to do what's best in the short term as they only care about meeting their short term goals without an understanding on how this can damage the long term. It seems only very strong founder type CEOs are mostly immune to this idiotic pressure to sacrifice long term for short term gains.
The S4's success is well deserved as it is light years beyond S3 and at 28nm the S4 is a good deal better than 40 or 45nm Cortex A9. Of course a 28nm Cortex A9 would also be a good bit better than a 40 or 45nm Cortex A9. Qualcomm's good decision to stick with the RF integration versus TI who sold theirs off is now paying off big time, for now. One thing is or sure.. the coming SoC battles will be fun to watch. I lean towards the best/latest software myself so I'm enjoy my TI OMAP4 Galaxy Nexus and look forward to a variety of Nexus phones later this year.
49. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the Samsung 5 dual has 50% more MIPS than the exynos 4412. :)
business/semiconductor/product /application/detail?productId= 7668&iaId=2341