Tether with your LG Optimus V
The LG Optimus V comes with Android 2.2 on board which actually does have support for tethering. However, this capability was disabled by the carrier because they do not wish to support tethering at this time. But thanks to a new application called Quick Settings, you can now get the most out of your unlimited data by turning the Optimus V into a WiFi hotspot. This app will not cost you a dime and doesn’t even require your device to be rooted.
When you open up the Quick Settings application you will see a few on/off toggles for things such as ringer and Bluetooth. Here is the four-step process that will help you add the WiFi hotspot toggle to that screen:
- Press your phone's Menu button, then tap Customize.
- Scroll down under Hidden Settings until you see Wi-Fi hot spot, then tap and drag it up to the Visible Settings section.
- Tap the Back button to return to the main screen.
- Now you'll see the Wi-Fi hot spot option. Tap the Off button to turn it on.
So there you have it; an easy way to enable WiFi tethering to your LG Optimus V for Virgin Mobile. With capped data in the cards for the major networks in the future (AT&T is already there), take advantage of this unlimited usage while you can. Try out the app and tell us what you think in the comments below.
1. bittersideofyou (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:22 0 0
I've used that program for months on my optimus S and I found it pretty useful. you can fine tune the screen brightness without diving into settings, Plus you get a flashlight button which whites out your screen, I actually use that feature a lot to get from my car to my apartment.
But, another way to get wifi hotspot capability is to you download the wifi hotspot widget from the market, its free, add it to your home screen touch it and there you go wifi hotspot activated. no root required as well. I have them both. I don't tether too often but its handy if I am out of town.
2. Boti95 posted on 10 Mar 2011, 21:11 0 0
Love love love it! I have one and I am totally going to donwload this!
3. Andrad (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 22:26 1 0
I used it for light tether on my laptop. I think all carriers should allow tether at no cost, the way i see it you just browsing on a bigger screen.
5. Obummer (unregistered) posted on 26 Mar 2011, 19:55 0 0
coool.... I DLed wifi hotspot settings by Stephen McBride, and my Optimus V is a hotspot! It isn't fast, but it does work (plus, I live in a faraday cage)
6. KC (unregistered) posted on 14 Jun 2011, 18:23 0 0
Just turn on wifi in settings no app needed for that
7. Asif (unregistered) posted on 15 Sep 2011, 06:29 0 0
Virgin Mobile got smarter, Quick setting won't work anymore. An update has killed the hotspot capability. Bought my LG Optimus in early September 2011 and tried all non rooted approach to wifi tethering, such as Qucik Settings, Hotspot widget, etc. None of them work. As soon as you turn on the hotspot capability, the data connection goes off and you get a message like 'Network unavailable'. Now the only way left is rooting the phone.
8. Sean72 (unregistered) posted on 14 Oct 2011, 14:46 0 0
@Asif - I just tried using the wi-fi hotspot with Quick Settings earlier today, and it's still working. It may be the wireless card on your computer (my netbook tends to drop wifi connections occasionally due to a hardware issue).
9. darryltec posted on 08 Jul 2012, 13:39 0 0
as of July 8 i used the wifi hot-spot widget it works great and i have no problems with connection or Internet speed. I am going to drop my Internet service from comcast as this will be cheaper just getting the unlimited plan from virgin mobile.