Teens: Apple iPhone out, Samsung Galaxy S III and Microsoft Surface in
0. phoneArena posted on 13 Jan 2013, 00:16
It looks like Apple could be losing support of the teens as they have started to turn away from the Apple iPhone and have started to favor the Samsung Galaxy S III and Microsoft Surface Tabletsa; according to a survey done by Bus Marketing, Apple might have been too successful for its own good as teens say the ubiquitious nature of the iPhone is pushing counterculture supporting teens away from Apple's iconic smartphone and is pushing them toward the Samsung Galaxy S III...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
8. CRICKETownz posted on 13 Jan 2013, 00:35 4 21
Not necessarily, I just like Apple products...it's not all I like but I do like them
82. Bernoulli posted on 13 Jan 2013, 09:10 2 4
Leave the poor guy alone, he's an iDiot
158. amansingal14 posted on 14 Jan 2013, 08:24 0 0
he's an iDiot
34. amansingal14 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:08 6 2
Dude, did you know?
An average Apple iPhone 5, if running Android, would be much less capable than any major co.'s current flagship.
But in case its running the old and boring iOS, it is just working smoothly. But again, it has an old and boring UI
47. KingKurogiii posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:55 6 8
the iPhone 5 has exceptional hardware, it's just optimized for the OS like it should be since Apple does the Hardware and the OS for themselves. although the hardware isn't "Android Ready" it's still more powerful than what phones like the Galaxy SIII (US), the Razr HD and the One X, phones which were the respective flagships for their brands when the iPhone 5 was released are using.
61. tedkord posted on 13 Jan 2013, 03:53 2 2
Ummmm. Not so much.
115. KingKurogiii posted on 13 Jan 2013, 12:44 0 1
hell of a comeback guy, hell of a comeback.
90. iami67 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 10:30 1 1
Hye Kingkurogii are you on drugs. Do you really want me to post the hardware for both so you can see the diference. The s3 razr hd and one all have better stats. What have you read that shows otherwise. This is why people dont like Apple because of blind users like yourself. Do you know the only diference from the iphone 5 and 4s for hardware in the A6 and A5 chip is the graphix which was only needed because of bigger screen.
116. KingKurogiii posted on 13 Jan 2013, 12:45 0 2
lol okay, humor me. xD
103. monkeytown posted on 13 Jan 2013, 12:07 0 1
and than again, a smooth OS is something, android will never see : (
108. tedkord posted on 13 Jan 2013, 12:16 0 1
Except, of course, it has since Gingerbread. "A" for effort, though.
142. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 13 Jan 2013, 19:32 0 0
My Asus pad 300 would like to have a word with you.
157. amansingal14 posted on 14 Jan 2013, 08:20 0 1
My GNote 2 would like to have a note with you too...
BTW, Apple iPhone 5 has a 1.2 GHz Dual Core processor based on ARM v7, and s3/Note2/xperia z/1x/1x+
9. bucky posted on 13 Jan 2013, 00:36 1 5
What does this article have anything to do with your statement?
13. MrJerry posted on 13 Jan 2013, 00:41 6 1
Well I think teens are getting smart enough to choose what really they want...
And even those some figures could only be possible in US
It should be worse than this in the rest of the world for Apple
16. tedkord posted on 13 Jan 2013, 00:44 3 0
Yes, it does. People are getting to know Apple, and, well, you know the rest.
6. ray77 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 00:31 9 0
HTC butterfly is in and coming soon in june Samsung Galaxy S IV
10. dan86 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 00:37 18 0
Quite expected apple can't fool people for a long.
25. tiara6918 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 01:26 6 0
Great to see that people are realizing that apple just keeps on releasing the same thing over and over again while products like the sgs3 and ms surface just shows off how it distinguishes itself from the competition. With more marketing planning, other manufacturers can make their products on everyone else wish list too!
26. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 13 Jan 2013, 01:27 5 0
Just to clear it up: teens are starting to understand that there are better alternative to the iPhone and iPad out there, but do not confuse that with getting smarter. Go to any modern American high school like I did last year and they're getting anything but smarter.
31. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 13 Jan 2013, 01:43 11 0
(Long post coming) Android is becoming more popular with teens for a number of reasons:
1. Customization is huge. My best friend went to the sprint store to get an upgrade, she's as tech savvy as a normal senior citizen. She could care less about apps as long as the big ones are there, but she loved how she could easily change fonts, widget sizes, number of home screens and all of that stuff.
2. Cheaper phones, cheaper apps: this isn't necessarily a bad thing, being cheap. It gives the teens more of a broad range of devices to choose from. Also, a lot of the same apps on android that are free cost money on iOS. Teens enjoy free apps, even if ads may come along with it.
3. Google services: what teen doesn't use YouTube, google search, and even gmail? A lot of schools let you use gmail for google docs and google drive for storage of school documents. It's built into their phones, what's not to love?
4. Their parents probably use iPhones: this may not be as much of a reason, but what teen wants to be caught using the same thing as their parents? Once they see their mom or dad using an iPhone, it loses its cool factor all the sudden. I've seen it pretty often in high school.
5. Easy social networking: it's so easy to integrate social networks onto android. You can easily integrate your Facebook contacts and all of that. In iOS, you can't share a photo or video or whatever to every form of social media you use in one spot like you can with android. You have to go into the app, choose upload, and do it that way. It's just not as intuitive and fast as android.
I am an iOS user and personally don't see myself using android because I'm so invested in iOS but that doesn't mean I see android for what it is; a great, flexible mobile OS. Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share my thoughts.
39. tedkord posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:22 9 0
My buddy at work has been an iphone user since the OG. His concern was the amount he had invested in the ecosystem in apps, music and video.
He had the iphone 4, and skipped the 4s because it was the same phone. Then, the 5 came out, and he saw the same phone, only longer.
He bought a Galaxy Note 2, and he loves it. No regret at all. Her was able to port his entire itunes collection, minus the apps of course.
I was actually kinda trying to nudge him toward the iphone 5, because I didn't think it was possible to port the video content, and he had a ton of video, but damned if he didn't find a way.
52. KingKurogiii posted on 13 Jan 2013, 03:02 3 1
yeah, being too invested in a platform is truly often an overseen factor in deciding to make a switch plus if you're contemplating going from Android to something else you've got to consider that it's much cheaper to use an Android device in the manner in which you're accustomed to because of how much cheaper the apps are, there's more free apps and you can side load applications as well.
the iPhone 5 is really a nice phone that i would have no problem suggesting a heavily invested Apple user to upgrade to unlike the 4S but moves like the 4S and iOS 6 are good examples as to why it's better to ween off as soon as possible unless Apple makes major strides in improving their OS which doesn't seem to be the plan for them at this point...
78. simplyj posted on 13 Jan 2013, 08:21 0 0
I shed a tear while reading this story, it was such a happy ending!
40. Schuler2828 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:22 1 1
+1 to you, I like to see someone who doesn't praise Apple, and realizes Androids potential. Yes there is all that spot down inside of us were we would want to have an iPhone, even me who uses 4shared to get free apps daily, roots their phone puts Roms on it, uses their PS3 controller for their phone. Everything I do on my android and I can't to on an iPhone for some reason I would still like to have one..There's nothing wrong with liking one OS but still giving true facts about the opposing OS. Sorry for the nerdy comment just surprised by what you said.
42. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:30 0 0
I know I still missed a lot of advantages of android I just didn't want to write a book in the comment section. I do love iOS, iMessage and FaceTime are a big thing I use, and while I personally don't enjoy using android I still see what makes it so great for other people. I prefer more turnkey and quick access to my stuff, which I know you can do with android, I just prefer my iPhone. I know I may come across as disliking android in other comment threads but I'm just letting the inner fanboy come out and spew nonsense haha. I really like how quick android is evolving, but I'm content with where I'm at right now.
110. tedkord posted on 13 Jan 2013, 12:20 0 0
Not all. I have no desire for an iphone. I want what's best for me of what's available to me. Since about 2009-2010, that has decisively not been an iphone.
33. amansingal14 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:03 4 2
my choice, a sony xperia z or upcoming lumia flagship instead of any apple product with so called 'Leading Innovation'...
Wanna link my Windows 8 to my future phone seamlessly.
36. reyenrique posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:13 5 0
Well if u read the news Samung Galaly S 3 beat out the apple phone 5 in innovation for the year 2012 and read the news plz read my friends!!!
37. Schuler2828 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:16 3 0
At my school (8th grade) just about everyone has a iPhone and if it's not that it's a feature phone I've only seen 1 other kid with a Galaxy, they just praise and praise Apple while I don't go all nerd on them and prove to them why Android is better I certainly don't let them run victory dances. I'd really like to see the Galaxy's become the new thing for us youngsters getting tired of seeing the same phone everywhere like their possessed.
41. kabhijeet.16 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:26 4 0
Iphone has a market only in US. and If teeens in US are opting for Android & windows then its curtains for Iphones. I can say that best OS is Android, at 2nd place its tie between iOS & Windows. Soon iOS will slip to 3rd spot. And UBUNTU is coming..God knows what would happen to Iphones..!!!!!
48. thunderbolt posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:55 2 3
I will blindly buy the device that comes loaded with ubuntu whenever it does.
53. KingKurogiii posted on 13 Jan 2013, 03:04 3 1
get a Nexus 4, great, capable phone, it's inexpensive and it'll get an Ubuntu port if it hasn't already. o:
70. thunderbolt posted on 13 Jan 2013, 06:56 1 0
Waiting for it to be available below 30K on ebay.in as India doesn't have playstore.
121. KingKurogiii posted on 13 Jan 2013, 13:17 0 1
43. KingKurogiii posted on 13 Jan 2013, 02:34 1 0
well i'm 19 and when the subject of phones come up (which i hardly ever bring up ironically being the most knowledgeable about them because frankly i can get tired of talking about phones) i'll show them all the neat things that devices competing with the iPhone can do for them to Ooo and Ahh over, i'll show them the practical aspects of larger and in some cases superior Hardware compared to the iPhone from my own usage and with Android i can usually match my iPhone owning friends app for app. i make a hard debate for my iPhone owning friends so sometimes they'll really step back and wonder why the iPhone is even appealing anymore. i think the phone i've impressed them with the most thus far was my White Droid Razr. they surrendered the cool status to that thing pretty quick. xD
86. biophone posted on 13 Jan 2013, 10:12 1 1
I'm also 19 and of my 14 closet friends 10 have iphone and 4 have android. The 4 who have android are a bit "nerdy" except for my candian friend. Alot of people at my college have iphones and androids too. I live in florida and over here iphone is definitely popular. My friends don't really talk about phones though.
120. KingKurogiii posted on 13 Jan 2013, 13:16 0 1
i live in FL too! i hang out around Winter Park and out of my usual group of 8, 3 of them have iPhones, 2 4S's and a 5, 3 of them have Android devices, an E4GT, an EVO 4G LTE and a Galaxy SIII and 2 of them have WP7 devices, a Nokia Lumia 710 and an HTC Radar. i wouldn't say any of them are phone nerdy per se but they're pretty interested in them. a lot of my friends come to me for consultations but sometimes i'll have friends that don't come to me and really screw up. like my friend with the E4GT bought his phone when Sprint's LTE network was already live and my friend with the EVO 4G LTE bought his phone when there was options like the Note II and the Optimus G and my WP7 pals are HATING the lack of apps because they can't do a lot of the trendy things the rest can but what can you do right?
57. Rocksteady posted on 13 Jan 2013, 03:36 6 0
"flawless nature of apple’s products"
- apple maps
- scratches and dents
- purple camera hue
- lines over passwords fields
- irrisponsive screens when over scrolling
- No file browser
- only file management over itunes, and the list goes on.
Yeah, those are some fine products.
68. PhoneArenaUser posted on 13 Jan 2013, 06:44 2 0
- There is a bunch of different screen problems like a flickering, bad screen sensitivity, even yellow marks on the screen or flashing.
- There is bunch of complaints about antenna problems.
- There is complaints about Ambient Light Sensor problems.
- There is complaints about various sound problems.
- There is complaints about purple tints in pictures (a.k.a. "Purpel Halo").
- There is complaints about iPhone 5 scratches out of the box.
- There is complaints about WiFi problems.
- There is complaints about keyboard problems.
- There is even a problem called "Light Leak".
- There is glitch called "Rapid Diagonal Swiping".
- There is complaints abou soft, bendy frame.
- There is bug called "Do Not Disturb" which is still not fixed.
And I'm even not talking about Apple Maps problems...
94. Rocksteady posted on 13 Jan 2013, 10:42 1 0
Maybe apple will get these fixed next time people stand in line for a week, lol.
Have a nice day.
129. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 13 Jan 2013, 14:57 0 0
Do not disturb fixed itself a few days ago, the article was on here and other websites. The other stuff has definitely happened, I personally have the wifi issues but the other stuff hasn't happened to me yet and I'm hoping it doesn't happen. And as for maps, there's google maps and waze that I used even before apple maps was released so I luckily never gave it the chance to get me lost haha
136. PhoneArenaUser posted on 13 Jan 2013, 17:43 0 0
"Do not disturb fixed itself a few days ago, the article was on here and other websites."
Turn back the date in your phone, any date before January 7th and you will see that it is not fixed. And maybe you will never turn date back but it is the fact that it is not fixed, the bug is still here just not affecting after January 7th. :)
141. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 13 Jan 2013, 19:30 0 0
I'm not gonna jump through hoops to get a bug :p I already have enough without turning back the date haha. Wifi losing connection randomly, safari crashing, some crazy keyboard glitches that'll happen, but other than that I've enjoyed the experience (other than getting my 3rd replacement for a defective power button)
154. Rocksteady posted on 13 Jan 2013, 23:41 1 0
So, after all the trouble you went through, and you are saying that you've "enjoyed" the experience?!
Wow!! apple must be doing a magnificent job!
160. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 15 Jan 2013, 16:52 0 0
It wasn't much trouble at all, just walked into the Apple store and they replaced it. My past Motorola Atrix had to be replaced 3 times for a faulty screen, faulty camera flash and one arrived with a crack on the screen. That was alot of trouble.
62. zibbyzib2000 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 04:16 2 0
...Because we all know how many "smart" choices teens make these days :p
63. _Bone_ posted on 13 Jan 2013, 04:42 0 0
That was always Apple's biggest fear, losing the teenage edge, but it won't be as drastic as many believe; still, I wouldn't mind Sony, Huawei and Oppo taking some of the limelight, each coming out with an absolute killer in a few months (they better hurry up though, there's another Sammy beast coming).
65. TMHKR posted on 13 Jan 2013, 06:12 0 0
Nice, and only if the flagships didn't cost that much... How many teens are we talking about here, anyway?
71. Jkidd569 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 07:12 2 1
Each year apple is lacking innovation. Hopefully Microsoft might come out with a Surface phone, now that would be something to get.
75. ajac09 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 07:41 2 1
the Surface??!? Wow. Gs3 I can see but the surface??
93. Whateverman posted on 13 Jan 2013, 10:37 0 1
Yeah, I didn't see that coming either. The Surface looks like a great product, but not very compelling to me (maybe because I'm an older consumer).
Now the Lenovo Horizon...whole different ball game. I know it's not a tablet, it's a "Table PC", but that thing is a beauty! I am by no means a Windows fan (been a Mac user for many years), but the Horizon may just get back into a Windows system.
77. miguel6632 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 07:43 1 0
i work for a major cell phone retail and its correct most teens are going to galaxy series instead of the iphone. younger kids and older people are the ones that have an iphone. In a lot of cases people go to iphone but having and andoid before they exchange it.. The only people i see going to iphone is people that had a lower end andorid and never experienced a higher end one
79. phonemirer posted on 13 Jan 2013, 08:21 1 1
i heard sgs3 w jelly bean is faster than i5. Is that true ???
80. ebubekir26 posted on 13 Jan 2013, 08:33 2 1
somehow Steve Jobs (R.I.P.) managed to hypnotize people, ok i'm 16 years old , and i know why this happened, most of the people (most of them teens) don't know about the specifications of electronics, 3 or 4 years ago when i started to get intrested in electronics and technologie I also didn't know much about specifications, i didn't even know what HD meant , i could't understand why people loved apple (iphone) i never had an Iphone, but then i got more intrested and started to research on google about electronics, i bought one of the most powerfull android device (back then Galaxy Note :), and when i finally learned (almost) everything, I started to love Android , and I still find it stupid how people slept in streets like homeless people for an Iphone while android is better in performance and price , WAKE UP, buy an android and be free , you don't have to jAiLbReAk your device to do stuff you did on your Iphone, I own a Galaxy Note II now,, and the first day both came to belgium, I looked at the price , AND I WAS LIKE OMG o.O ,,, iPhone 5 (1100 euro) was DOUBLE the price of the Note II (580 euro) , i now this is going to sound stupid but i was very disapointed to everyone :D , ofcourse without a doubt I bought a Galxy Note II,
SO, IF YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SPECS , YOU KNOW WHAT TO BUY , and that's the problem : people don't know specs and buy Iphone while there are many iCrap KILLERS
81. pookiewood posted on 13 Jan 2013, 08:54 0 0
I think another factor is that in their world Apple isn't the other guy. I'm 31 and we are from an age where it is the cool thing to hate MS and cool to love Apple. They don't know the difference between a Mac and PC. I think it levels the playing field especially since Win 7 and Win 8 are as stable as OSX.