Taiwan FTC fines Apple for meddling in Apple iPhone pricing
Apple can appeal the decision, but could face a fine of as much as $50 million NT ($1.67 million USD). The agency said that Apple had no right to "meddle" in the carrier's pricing of the iPhone, adding that pricing of the device is at the complete discretion of the three carriers.
The ruling deals only with the Apple iPhone and the Taiwan FTC says it has no plans to investigate any possible interference that Apple might have had on pricing of the Apple iPad in the country.
source : FTCTaiwan (translated), EngadgetChina (translated) via Engadget, WSJ
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 1348; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
LOL @ 670K. I'm sure you can find that under one of the executive's sofa.
2. apple4never (Posts: 915; Member since: 08 May 2013)
lol honestly its really gonna be a shame if apple tries to dispute such a small fine
3. shamataa (Posts: 202; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
YES!. Apple to me has been lame meaning not pushing the boundires and thinking to small literally and not thinking BIG!. Apple is not open mineded instead they take they the easy way out. You can't always stay small forever. Thre are alot of people so you need to think about everyone not just a small group of people.Everyone has different needs.
4. The_Innovation (Posts: 538; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
It'll be like tipping the guy who vallet parks your car.
6. tedkord (Posts: 4263; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It's not about the size of the fine, it's about people knowing that Apple simply disregards laws it doesn't like.
13. The_Innovation (Posts: 538; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Well, having more money than the Government who makes those laws, I guess it makes sense lol
15. tedkord (Posts: 4263; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Not if they want to do business in that country.
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6116; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Wish it was 50 billion. Tis the season.
8. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3213; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Lol Apple is probably laughing their @$$ off. $600k is chump change.
10. tedkord (Posts: 4263; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Criminals often laugh at the laws they ignore.
9. xtroid2k (Posts: 322; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
Imsure this fine was already factored in to the cost and subtracted from total profits already lol
11. Taters (Posts: 2580; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Taiwan seems almost as bad as the US when it comes to homerism. I bet when Acer, Asus, or HTC pulls something like this they would just ignore them. But when Apple or Samsung does it, instant fine.
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 10079; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Bad apple, I'm putting you in time out for 15 minutes buddy.
23. kanagadeepan (Posts: 634; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Apple will pay 10 times the fine and say "Dear Taiwan Govt, Keep the change for future penalties"...