THX says to patents, "I am your father" and sues Apple for infringing on them
0. phoneArena 16 Mar 2013, 01:16 posted on
THX, the audio company started by George Lucas, is suing Apple for infringing on a patent awarded to THX in 2008 for a speaker unit that can boost the output of sound; Apple allegedly infringed on the patent with the Apple iPhone, Apple iPad and other products and THX is seeking compensation for royalties and damages and is requesting a sales ban on the devices that infringed on the patents.
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. irwan92 (Posts: 9; Member since: 12 Feb 2013)
slumm the apple until it ducks into water. Hope it have waterproof certification :p
6. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Shiips still think Apple is innovate only , SS is always a copycat
But the fact SS is no where near Apple.
44. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Steve Jobs "innovation": Lets take a bunch of existing technologies and steal, copy or buy them and put them in a phone.
2. SamsungTheSavior (banned) (Posts: 19; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Amazing news. Make them bankrupt!
13. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yup, I agree. Apple deserves it, but the word "bankrupt" is a little bit harsh.
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 21218; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Bro that username has corrupted fanboy written all over it. He then says stuff like "make them bankrupt". As if THX is actually gonna bankrupt apple. That would be like the .99 cent store bankrupting Bloomingdales...not gonna happen.
33. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I don't think any reasonable person is going to wish bankruptcy on anyone or anything personally. That said, if Apple has been using THX's patents in all of their mobile products as THX claims, this could very well put a big hurt on Apple's pocketbook.
34. darkkjedii (Posts: 21218; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
As it should bro. Apple should have to pay what they owe plain, and simple. Fair is fair...
39. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Are you trying to say that THX is a .99 cents store ? As much as unpopular it is, THX it's still a big company. It won't bankrupt Apple but banning iPhone and iPad seems good to me LOL
48. darkkjedii (Posts: 21218; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Quite naturally I'm using it as a comparison. I however don't wanna see anything that benefits people banned. If you simply wanna be childish with your comments, and the only thing you wanna see are green thumbs... Please avoid my posts
74. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
well, i believe the court won't allow iPhone or iPad to be banned. but certainly, this is a punch back for apple. just try to remember how many phones did apple try to ban because of some idiotic patents ?
65. lyndon420 (Posts: 4373; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I agree. I think this back and fourth stuff would stop once apple's market value falls back to a more reasonable 5-9th place on a global scale.
Google would be kicking their a$$ of course.
4. Topcat488 (Posts: 1396; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
When it rains it pours, on Apple. Time to switch to Dr. Dre... HHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. hehehe
5. 8logic (Posts: 148; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
"The company is getting involved in our national pastime: suing or getting sued by Apple" LMAO
but, great news!!!!!!
8. MobileJunkieJr (Posts: 46; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
"If the court were to find in favor of THX, in theory the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad could be banned from sales in the U.S."
Me likes that!
63. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
No my lord c'mon sound is such a small component that went into building this iCON (ic) Phone is what MyxTyxPyx would say in court ... and court would never ban as it would against the principle of natural justice to ban an American company's product in America :)
9. MartianMe (unregistered)
This is so ridiculous ....but apple deserves it.
11. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 253; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
“The Force is strong with this one.”
“Use the Force, Apple.”
Sorry I couldn't help myself.
69. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
So are you saying that apple is supposedly the beleaguered hero?
72. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 253; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Well no, I thought that the reference to George Lucas and of course Star Wars would be amusing.
I think Apple’s position on paying royalties is the same as their policy for charitable donations and that’s they would never give one cent/penny away, unless they were compelled in doing so.
12. CoveyD (Posts: 8; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Sadly, as much as I despise Apple's overall marketing strategy, as well as their "innovation", Apple is an American company, so I for one hope that this does not create a problem selling these phones on home soil, our economy is still terrible, and taking a blow like that might be enough to push us back 10 years. Im an Android/WP fan, and I like seeing Apple get a taste of their own medicine as much as possible, but unfortunately this would be a big hit to the American economy as well.
15. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Apple will just have to tap some of its hoard of cash. Egos being bruised are harder to soothe, however.
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
66. Aeires (unregistered)
That would be true if Apple made their devices in America. They don't. If Apple loses, they'll just have to take a big amount out of their coffers and pay the fees. A ban isn't going to happen and nothing is going to happen to the U.S. economy from this.
17. sanjeet.13 (Posts: 3; Member since: 17 Sep 2012)
What goes around comes around... I hope apple has to pay 11 billion..
18. DarkShadow (Posts: 51; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
Oh my god ...apple again went wil you stop copy apple, love this news!!!!!!
19. deadstroke (Posts: 113; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
Again apple stop copying from other and were is phil or tim cook went u need them LoL
21. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Lol, all I can think about now is the epic THX boot sound shaking up the Apple headquarters!
22. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Hopefully Nokia gets a sales ban too. They need to stop encouraging this crap.
Samsung should buy THX just for the patents btw.
23. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Give Nokia a sales ban for what?, Being the most innovative company ever?
36. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Because they encourage sales bans.
38. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Samsung shouldn't be infringing patents in the first place.
41. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They weren't. Just the dumb ass American jury and Apple thought they were. Samsung has legal advisers with common sense. Apparently Nokia and Apple do not.
45. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Samsung lost the case, so apparently they were infringing in some stuff. Do your fanboy eyes really ignore that fact.
Anyway, I'd love to see Apple and Samsung burn and crash into the ground. Both pathetic companies.
47. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They lost the case because companies like Apple wanted to throw their weight around. Samsung lawyers played their cards all wrong, they didn't infringe on obvious prior art.
54. Fruitpoop (Posts: 34; Member since: 27 Dec 2012)
The only country where Samsung lost is in the USA. And guess what? Apple is from the US. Samsung won in basically every country in Europe and Asia.
70. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Taters, if Nokia were pro-sales bans, apple wouldn't have sold another product. Nokia could shut down the lines of any company that doesn't pay royalties if they were asinine bullies like apple.
24. _PHug_ (Posts: 444; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
THX has no shot, Apple has already bought all the patent judges
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 21218; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
If this is true then THX should sue apple. Plain and simple, make apple pay they way they'd make THX pay.
35. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Like or not like dark, who the hell thumbed this down? What he said is true, if Apple infringed on THX, THX should make them pay. We all know Apple would do it if the roles were reversed.
49. darkkjedii (Posts: 21218; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly, I'm not one of these apple can do no wrong type of people. Some of apples business practices are not liked be me at all. Apple should be made to own up if they infringed.
40. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It is not that simple. Maybe to a delusional Apple fan like yourself but to everyone else it is more complicated. If they actually ban the iphone or ipad in the United States like they legally can, then the North American economy would be screwed. It is not simple at all.
Let's put it this way, if a company as meticulous and careful as Apple, with an army of lawyers/legal advisers, and 100 billion in the bank can potential get a sales ban or at least lose a lot of money from a railway company, THX, some patent whores etc. for ACCIDENTALLY using some technology or concepts that shouldn't be granted a patent in the first place, then there is something wrong with the patent system. you don't see anything wrong with this picture and how it isn't simple at all?
For example, say Samsung was a poor company and they truly thought prior art, and Apple still went after them hard and fluked out 1.05 billion( like they did) and sales bans. Samsung would go under for prior art and accidentally and unknowingly infringing on something Apple never should be granted in the first place. That is terrible and not simple at all.
Smaller companies just can't enter the industry anymore without spending millions in legal fees and still risk getting a sales ban if a company like Apple feels like going after them and the greedy patent whore players like Apple hold too much power.
The best case scenario would be for Apple to stop being a giant douche so the patent system wouldn't need fixing. However, I guess the next best thing would be for Apple to lose this badly and get their products banned. Then maybe Apple and Nokia would think twice about freely asking for or encouraging sales bans.
50. darkkjedii (Posts: 21218; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'm not a delusional apple fan, I'm a very clear sighted techie.
68. SamsungTheSavior (banned) (Posts: 19; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
LOL that's the funniest thing I've read all day.
78. Droiddoes (unregistered)
LMAO, keep telling yourself that.
59. Pdubb (Posts: 248; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
Apple itself would not screw the economy! They have made tons of money and they keep it out of the country to avoid high taxes. Many companies use this practice and they all hurt the economy. It would help if they were to actually build more plants and factories here. Even Samsung is building a plant here that could employ many more people here in the US than Apple. The biggest problem with our economy is credits. Most people I know buy their phones with a credit card and pay it off over time. Patent laws need reform but the true intent is at the center of this lawsuit. The only way to make Apple pay is to stop the sales of the product. They had to know THX had this patent so "accidentally" using the tech would be incorrect in my eyes.
67. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
If they knew it existed, I am sure their legal advisers would tell them not to use it or license it first. The fact is, companies have to jump through too many hoops and license so many licenses now that it is almost impossible to keep track of. Or you have to license so many things that it simply a really big risk if you don't make it.
Microsoft, Nokia, Ericsson, and others already get a cut, although most are frand so that is okay. Apple and THX definitely should not get a cut though. You have to draw the line somewhere.
71. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Is this actually dark or someone who added an i at the end?
26. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Apple started lawsuits against Samsung and later on every companies are searching in their folders for things that Apple used in their products. Everybody wanted a piece of Apple pie $120 billion of cash. Now Apple innovations will be in the court rooms.
27. marchels14 (unregistered)
Ha ha ha this made my day. THX sue that fruit dry.
28. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Yes yes yes. Now thx taking apples money next