Swiss Railways to burn Apple with legal complaint on a patented clock design
0. phoneArena 21 Sep 2012, 02:52 posted on
The Swiss Federal Railway Service (RBB) has a signature clock design that exists on all of its time-telling units in stations, and has been created by its employee Hans Hilfiker in 1944. It has been patented, but the license sold to the Swiss clock maker Mondaine to use in its pieces of art wristwatches...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
Another let down Apple!!!
You just ruined my childhood once again :(
14. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Rotten Apple started the lawsuits and now the World companies are reviewing their patents and slam on rotten Apple. Swiss must ask for $1 billion.
15. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Creativity is hard to put a price on....
I say $20 billion!
2. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I'm getting more and more concerned about such patent wars. If I ever get chance to design a phone/tablet I wonder how much efforts will it take just to find if it violates any patent? I mean, C'mon there are millions of patents from trivial things to huge inventions...
10. ilia1986 (unregistered)
As soon as Apple gets sued over and over and over again over anything they can possibly get sued on - as a justifiable revenge for banning the Galaxy Tab 10.1, the Galaxy Nexus - they will stop bulling the entire consumer electronics industry - and everyone will probably forget about this whole ugly patent suing business.
3. CyberianPirate (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
No! It's a different design... if you look closely the needles on iOS clock is shorter than SBB clock... LOL :p
4. Hafini (banned) (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I don't like Apple for starting the patents war but this really is so hilarious!!!
5. flipjzn (Posts: 252; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
It's all about the money, money, money! :))
7. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
someone gets it^
11. longhairbilly (Posts: 66; Member since: 23 Aug 2010)
Stop it guys.. Everyone knows Steve Jobs invented the clock. This company clearly stole this from Apple.
12. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
It's incredibly hard to even deny that the iOS clock is not a copy, regardless of how you hold it, it looks exactly the same. Hans must be throwing up in his grave.
13. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 660; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Lol, karma is a word that starts with a letter after "A", and ends with an "itch"
16. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Wow.. that's such a blatant copy. Hypocrites.
17. Aeires (unregistered)
iFans, please respond.
19. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Looks like Tim Cook is doing his best to f... up the Apple.
20. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Wow Apple, you guys copy so much, losers. *scoff*
In all seriousness though, I'm tired of Apple's hypocrisy. Playing the victim like they were cheated out of sales because people were copying them with their rounded corners and centered displays! That's just stupid.
23. samystic (Posts: 227; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
meego clock on n9??? sue sue sue... cut, slice the rotten apple
24. ibap (Posts: 752; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
Apple will claim they didn't taper the hands in the same way, so it isn't a copy.
27. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
And American Courts will shamelesly agree and defend Apple ...
26. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Don;t we already know that Apple as a historical record (and habbit) of stealing others work and then brainwashing their flock as an iNVENTION of cupertino :)
28. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 884; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Its getting out of hand. They should just throw out all stupid patent cases. Stop wasting tax payer money for your petty battles and return all money from frivalous cases. In fact they should tally up the cost of all these cases and make the companies pay the government double in fines. That would make them think twice about suing each other.
29. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
The arms are:
Shorter at the ticks
Same width all the way
The minute ticks are:
The hour ticks are:
Its a clock ... there is only so much you can do. I think the "complaint" is silly.
With that being said, why Apply just did not keep their now old design is beyond me.
30. tedkord (Posts: 9950; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Let's look at the Galaxy S. Its bigger overall, with a completely different aspect ratio. It fields a different number of icons. It has widgets, and can be configured however you like. It has a number of capacitive buttons at the bottom.
In every possible way, this clock is more of a copy of the Swiss clock than the GS series is a copy of the iPhone.
Apple should have no issue being held to the same standards as they hold others.
31. androidrockzz (Posts: 51; Member since: 04 Feb 2012)
And Apple says they are innovative and creative!!! dint know this is what innovation and creative means!! its like Apple can do all they want but others are not suppose too....
32. aakashram2001 (Posts: 14; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
i love apple company they showed others how to make money easily in the name of patent not knowing that their ass is in fire love u soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo muc............................................................h appy
33. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
apple lawyer "as you can clearly see their arms are a 0.5mm thickness while ours are a 0.4mm thickness. They also have a thick silver bezel where we use a very thin grey bezel. Obviously they are clearly different than us and you should award us a new patent."
They get a patent for it because the patent system is broken.
6 months later in a new court.
Apple lawyer "as you can clearly see they are copying our patented, 100% original clock design. They mimic the thickness of our arms and markers. They use a rounded bezel, just like us. It may be much thicker than ours, but its still copies the look and feel of apple's patents. We are asking for 10 Billion in damages from the swiss"
34. garz_pa (Posts: 154; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Have a taste of your own medicine, Apple..
35. steve99 (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
That clock resembles each other way more than any Samsung phone resembles an Iphone. What a bbunch oh hypocrisy!