Survey says half of all iPhone users will upgrade to a 5S or 5C immediately
0. phoneArena 09 Sep 2013, 21:13 posted on
We are just over 12 hours away from Apple's announcement of the new iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C, which is planned for tomorrow at 11AM PST (1PM EST). As always, that means that current iPhone users will have to decide if the new Apple devices offer enough new features to warrant an upgrade...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
7. Commentator (Posts: 3669; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
4,000 people is fine for a survey, the margin of error should be under 5%.
HOWEVER, like the article says, this survey is skewed towards a particular demographic of iPhone owners that tends to be more tech-oriented anyways ("we would assume that this survey has attracted those who have been following the news and rumors, and have already made up their minds").
It's not the number of people they surveyed (many more credible surveys have been made using a much sample size), but the type of people they surveyed that lends poor credibility to this survey.
9. Commentator (Posts: 3669; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
HAHAHA I CAN'T EDIT COMMENTS AFTER 240 SECONDS!!! HAHAHA PA YOU'RE SOOOOOOOO GREAT!!! OOOOOOOOH THAT'S RICH!!!
Ahem... what I meant to say was "many more credible surveys have been made using a much SMALLER sample size."
Sheesh PhoneArena... fix this...
32. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
The problem with the survey is location(US or Around the world). PA should make it in the US or something.. Right?
24. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Actually.... It probably represents a good sample size for the people who are stuck (iTrapped?) on iTunes. iTunes is kind of like the Hotel California - you can check in, but you can never leave. :-(
37. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
You are addicted, you need to join iTunes Anonymous club. :D
39. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
and they are still upgrading to the same phone.
29. daddysbeenabadgirl (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
I'll go first.
Neither phone is an upgrade as Michael claims in his usual fanboy headline. The 5S is practically the same as the 5 and the 5C will probably be a cheap crappy downgrade. I guess we know why Apple is doubling that marketing team...
33. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Yes the new iPhones are almost exactly the same but stats would probably prove that half these current iphone 5 owners who will upgrade will get both the 5s and 5c,after all if its apple you have to get it. Of course these ifans will justify it because apple will convince them there are totally NEW handsets
26. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Nokia Lumia 1520❔.. Now that's BIG news❕❕
4. amiaq (Posts: 509; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Is it random sample or just baristas visiting to that site?
8. Commentator (Posts: 3669; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
According to PA it's probably just baristas.
(Ha, according to the spell-check here "barista" isn't a word!)
40. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
same hype same launch.
20. Topcat488 (Posts: 1394; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Wow i can't wait to test out those new girly looking icons on the ios7 UI... I'll take a iphone 5C please, not really feeling all gay about it though.
34. LiquidGalaxy (Posts: 327; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Are you an Android user? I take it your NOT of those users that caused the iOS7 app to be number 2 in the Google Play charts for like 4 weeks then?
22. Kishin (Posts: 704; Member since: 30 May 2013)
They will always follow apple cause they do not know any other phones other then apple.
25. Apoorvtheman (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
If iPhone 5c is real then I would definitely get it for my father as ios suits him
30. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
The problem I have with the iPhone is that since its introduction in 2007, it still looks the same in 2013.
You would expect the design of the phone to improve i.e. screen size, buttons
It is as though Apple are saying, there is no need to improve because it is perfect since 2007.
At least design a different style of phone i.e. iPhone 6A, 6G, 6N, 6T with different screen sizes and layout of buttons etc on the phone.
31. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Go home Iphone. You\'ve been drunk since 2007!
35. LiquidGalaxy (Posts: 327; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
What about people going back to iPhone after owning a SGS4? I\'m in that group...
38. KashAli (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
Too late Apple moved to android! you can be greedy now putting less features and saying twice as fast fooling us all the time and leaving some features to put in the next iPhone greedy pricks.
41. SavageLucy42 (Posts: 211; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
The worst part is that these sorts of iPhone customers are the worst to call their carrier immediately when the phone is announced. Whether or not they\'re eligible to upgrade. Whether or not the carrier can even pre-order the phone yet.
Please. I understand wanting the new phone, but don\'t bother your carrier until at least after the preorders are available. If you\'re really smart you\'ll wait about a month so you can get it just a few days after ordering/in the store. Preorders tend to get to their new owners a week or two AFTER the phones that are purchased once readily available.
42. Ronny666 (Posts: 111; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
Of course they will desperately upgrade. They have been waiting too long. You can\'t hold too long without S#X. :D