Study shows display on Samsung Galaxy S4 trumps its predecessor, matches the Apple iPhone 5
0. phoneArena 25 Apr 2013, 19:46 posted on
DisplayMate conducted a test between the display on the Samsung Galaxy S4 with the one on the Samsung Galaxy S III and the panel on the Apple iPhone 5 and came to the conclusion that not only is the display on the new Samsung Android flagship model better than the one on its predecessor, it catches up to the one on the Apple iPhone 5...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. tedkord (Posts: 11880; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Bam. Still waiting for the Note 3, most likely. I want Exynos/PowerVR.
6. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Exynos 5450 or 5440 5430 or it could be the 5420, with Pvr554...™
29. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
They should have compared S4 with the likes of HTC butterfly, One, or Xperia Z.. 640p iPhone 5 screen is last year tech compared to bleeding edge 1080p screens today.. I think phonearena should sponser Displaymate a HTC One...
2. tiara6918 (Posts: 2042; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I don't think the iPhone5 matches against the s4. IPhone's screen isn't even hd
3. tedkord (Posts: 11880; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It's not an HD res, but it's competitive on a pixel density basis. You wouldn't be able to distinguish other than contrast, saturation and viewing angle. (Contrast and viewing angle would go to the S4, saturation would be down to personal preference.)
24. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Although the iP5's display isn't a HD one, it's quite a good display.
Any honest person, who has actually seen it, will agree.
35. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 413; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
The iPhone 5 does have a very good screen! But am I the only one who thinks it seems just a little bit washed out? This is what I've thought every time I've seen one.
48. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 487; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
If you are used to the AMOLED screen, that might not be a surprise.
56. pkiran1996 (Posts: 166; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
In terms of sharpness, the retina display is brilliant. But not having a HD screen means HD videos aren't actually HD and while it looks sharp, you're not actually getting the detail a HD screen would provide.
4. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Good job Samsung you finally got Amoled right.
5. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
still htc makes the best phone screens on earth no one can beat them in this area
9. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
i don;t know but there phones have the best screen that ever been made no one has been able to beat the screens they use and anyone who denies that and gives tum a down is a hater and blind as hell.
13. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
No HTC doesn't make their own displays.
11. teerex42 (Posts: 211; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
Hey dummy...if they were so good, they'd be mentioned in this article now wouldn't they?? They obviously suck so they aren't in this battle. Hell, even the Iphone made it in this battle for some unknown reason, when the S4's super amoled full hd display is obviously superior to it. That doesn't say much about HTC's lcd screen :)
12. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
you the biggst dummy here this is only between samsung and iphone but when phone arena includes htc in the article and you will shut your pie hole
15. teerex42 (Posts: 211; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
lmao...not gonna happen, cause they are comparing these phones, cause they have the superior screen, again, not sure why they claim the icrap has a good screen is beyond me in comparing it the the s4. There is no comparison. I'm a phone developer and I work at Best Buy in the electronics department. The super amloed full hd display, kicks the s**t out of all others period..
16. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
i saw the samsung s4 in best buy listen i watched videos on it and tried it and go watch a video on it from the sides it suck big time amoled screen has bad viewing angles i don;t believe you work in best buy cause you lier i saw it with my own eyes today and when there is a big light the screen is dark you can't seen anything i imagine how bad it would be out in the sun.
18. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
all the reviews expert sites says: "s4 amoled has excellent viewing angles"
Then,,,, dont fkn lie.
19. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
it doesnt go to your local best buy put a video on the s4 and look from the side how the video sucks and then come here and talk you the f lier here dont talk before you see the phone like i saw it
23. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Stop taking your own case for a generality, buddy!
SuperAMOLED has always had the best viewing angles among phones' displays.
And now, Samsung has done a marvelous job with the one featured on the S4. GSMAreana even said that it is slighty better than the HTC One LCD.
43. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
don't get me wrong i really like AMOLED displays but SLCD3 is really nice too and HTC's displays using the zero gap touch measure actually have better viewing angles.
55. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I find my One X's viewing angles superb and it truly is zero gap as it is much closer to the surface than the Galaxy S III.
58. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
64. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, it looks good.
i didn't say Samsung's AMOLED displays had bad viewing angles but the display on my DNA impresses me just as much.
27. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
Amoled is fkn good !
accept It - deal with It - and move on !!!