Study shows display on Samsung Galaxy S4 trumps its predecessor, matches the Apple iPhone 5
0. phoneArena 25 Apr 2013, 19:46 posted on
DisplayMate conducted a test between the display on the Samsung Galaxy S4 with the one on the Samsung Galaxy S III and the panel on the Apple iPhone 5 and came to the conclusion that not only is the display on the new Samsung Android flagship model better than the one on its predecessor, it catches up to the one on the Apple iPhone 5...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. tedkord (Posts: 10622; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Bam. Still waiting for the Note 3, most likely. I want Exynos/PowerVR.
6. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Exynos 5450 or 5440 5430 or it could be the 5420, with Pvr554...™
29. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
They should have compared S4 with the likes of HTC butterfly, One, or Xperia Z.. 640p iPhone 5 screen is last year tech compared to bleeding edge 1080p screens today.. I think phonearena should sponser Displaymate a HTC One...
2. tiara6918 (Posts: 2027; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I don't think the iPhone5 matches against the s4. IPhone's screen isn't even hd
3. tedkord (Posts: 10622; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It's not an HD res, but it's competitive on a pixel density basis. You wouldn't be able to distinguish other than contrast, saturation and viewing angle. (Contrast and viewing angle would go to the S4, saturation would be down to personal preference.)
24. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Although the iP5's display isn't a HD one, it's quite a good display.
Any honest person, who has actually seen it, will agree.
35. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 413; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
The iPhone 5 does have a very good screen! But am I the only one who thinks it seems just a little bit washed out? This is what I've thought every time I've seen one.
48. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 480; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
If you are used to the AMOLED screen, that might not be a surprise.
56. pkiran1996 (Posts: 166; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
In terms of sharpness, the retina display is brilliant. But not having a HD screen means HD videos aren't actually HD and while it looks sharp, you're not actually getting the detail a HD screen would provide.
4. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Good job Samsung you finally got Amoled right.
5. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
still htc makes the best phone screens on earth no one can beat them in this area
9. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
i don;t know but there phones have the best screen that ever been made no one has been able to beat the screens they use and anyone who denies that and gives tum a down is a hater and blind as hell.
13. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
No HTC doesn't make their own displays.
11. teerex42 (Posts: 204; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
Hey dummy...if they were so good, they'd be mentioned in this article now wouldn't they?? They obviously suck so they aren't in this battle. Hell, even the Iphone made it in this battle for some unknown reason, when the S4's super amoled full hd display is obviously superior to it. That doesn't say much about HTC's lcd screen :)
12. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
you the biggst dummy here this is only between samsung and iphone but when phone arena includes htc in the article and you will shut your pie hole
15. teerex42 (Posts: 204; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
lmao...not gonna happen, cause they are comparing these phones, cause they have the superior screen, again, not sure why they claim the icrap has a good screen is beyond me in comparing it the the s4. There is no comparison. I'm a phone developer and I work at Best Buy in the electronics department. The super amloed full hd display, kicks the s**t out of all others period..
16. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
i saw the samsung s4 in best buy listen i watched videos on it and tried it and go watch a video on it from the sides it suck big time amoled screen has bad viewing angles i don;t believe you work in best buy cause you lier i saw it with my own eyes today and when there is a big light the screen is dark you can't seen anything i imagine how bad it would be out in the sun.
18. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
all the reviews expert sites says: "s4 amoled has excellent viewing angles"
Then,,,, dont fkn lie.
19. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
it doesnt go to your local best buy put a video on the s4 and look from the side how the video sucks and then come here and talk you the f lier here dont talk before you see the phone like i saw it
23. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Stop taking your own case for a generality, buddy!
SuperAMOLED has always had the best viewing angles among phones' displays.
And now, Samsung has done a marvelous job with the one featured on the S4. GSMAreana even said that it is slighty better than the HTC One LCD.
43. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
don't get me wrong i really like AMOLED displays but SLCD3 is really nice too and HTC's displays using the zero gap touch measure actually have better viewing angles.
55. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I find my One X's viewing angles superb and it truly is zero gap as it is much closer to the surface than the Galaxy S III.
58. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
64. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, it looks good.
i didn't say Samsung's AMOLED displays had bad viewing angles but the display on my DNA impresses me just as much.
27. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
Amoled is fkn good !
accept It - deal with It - and move on !!!
20. SleepingOz (unregistered)
LMAO! Pot calling the kettle black!
54. Chrisjm00 (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
Holy lack of punctuation Batman. I have absolutely NO idea what you're trying to say.
42. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
from what i've seen you're the kind of person that makes me cringe and shake my head to see working at places like Best Buy Mobile...
31. stealthd (unregistered)
HTC's One would have the best if they paid to have their displays calibrated like Apple does. Unfortunately without calibration it's colors aren't as accurate as the iPhone 5's, and there's diminishing returns in increasing the resolution beyond 300 ppi (why add more pixels when they're already too small to see?)
52. FiddyPence (Posts: 21; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
HTC dont make there own screens but they calibrate them better than most.
Displaymate review how well calibrated the screens are by professional IPS screen standards.
Apple are the best in this sense followed by HTC.
The One X's LCD2 was been renowned as the best display ever made, why displaymate continues to ignore them is beyond me.
8. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Wondering if Darkjedi is reading this, cause he's limited™
34. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Poor Dark, is anxious to post, but sadly PA sent him to holiday vacation™
10. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
But whites on the s-amoled is greenish compared to other flagship phones. But overall i think s4 screen is good.
17. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Who is thumbing down positive, and all the posts?
Hey what's the big idear™
21. SleepingOz (unregistered)
It's in your name..
26. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Hey SleepingOz, you've changed you're Tiger Avatar? I wonder why?
You had it for over 2 years nearly™
What's this avatar representing®
28. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
I guess, the avatar is representing an android standing out among the others (S4) :P
38. chocolaking (Posts: 494; Member since: 22 May 2012)
LOL...You are a true HTC hater.. and a Die hard fan boy of samsung
49. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
Haha chocolaking cant post a main comment now lol,
Thats what he can only say
36. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Ok TROLL, you need to ask yourself. When people post positive comments, you thumbed down them, and saying stupid things like "Heres a red thumb from me".
And now Donald Duck is gonna sue you for saying "Hey what's the big idear", you smaaaaaaart boy!
37. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Both displays (Galaxy S4 & iPhone 5) are nice! You can't compare AMOLED with Retina!
AMOLED & Retina FTW!
61. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Retina is IPS, same technology used in most flagships/ high end monitors.
39. byazatt (Posts: 269; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
And since I can tweak the display to my various tastes then I say s4 trumps iPhone 5 display as well.
40. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
Welcome color blind haters!!
Round 1 starttt...
41. jove39 (Posts: 1825; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Regardless...how good iPhone's display is...it's so tiny compared to s4...it's good for nothing...it's shame they are comparing display of s4 with iPhone5.
44. MC1123 (Posts: 1255; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
ummmm...so it take samsung with s4 with 1080p display just to much the display of the iPhone 5?
45. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Anandtech and Display mate will always champion the iPhone. Displaymate looks for only color accuracy/brightness and all Anandtech benchmarks is the GPU. They ignore screen size and CPU so their true love the iPhone doesn't get obliterated.
Or Apple could be just paying them. I admit, they do have very good camera firmware and screen calibration software and the best GPU's but websites seem to over emphasize those qualities. Just like how HTC fan boys like to over emphasize aluminum build as the most important thing in the world.
51. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
They are inspecting the quality of the panel strictly.
Display size has nothing to do with it obviously.
That being said, in the plain, unscientific Wow factor the iPhone is trumped, even by the Galaxy S3.
Side by side, some images can look close enough on the iPhone in comparison, but most of them are just far more vibrant on the Galaxy S3.
Blacks are a big advantage for the latter
53. FiddyPence (Posts: 21; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Accuracy and true life reproduction of colours is more important than vibrancy.
Professional's don't use Amoled displays for a reason.
57. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
are you implying that Samsung, the company who's mobile division has shipped more units than any other mobile company worldwide isn't professional? riiiight...
66. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
46. longtian (Posts: 40; Member since: 13 Apr 2013)
Samsung S4 There are two models of the CPU, that one is better?