Stock Android powered Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition coming to Google I/O?
0. phoneArena 15 May 2013, 00:19 posted on
A published report says that during today's keynote address for the Google I/O developer conference, a new version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 called the Google Edition will be introduced; unlike the consumer version of the phone which runs Samsung's TouchWiz UI over Android 4.2.2, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition will run stock Android...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. blackice214 (Posts: 163; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
haha theres like 10 versions of the gs4
5. abdane (Posts: 473; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
and if this is true... GS4 Google Edition...
11. NightFelix (Posts: 36; Member since: 29 Apr 2013)
GS4 (for die hard Samsung Galaxy fans)
GS4 Active (for fans who looking for innovation technology)
GS4 Zoom (for fans of Instagrams)
GS4 Mini (for fans that not enough budget to buy high-end device)
GS4 Google Edition (for die hard Nexus fans)
so what next? GS4 Tizen Edition or ATIV?
16. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
GS4 - for people who really want a SMaRTphone
Gs4Active - for people who think that water resistance is an innovation
Gs4 zoom - for amateur photography
Gs4 mini - u are right
Gs4 google edition- TW haters and nexus fans
36. joey_sfb (Posts: 2484; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Actually having 10 difference versions of Galaxy S4 is good for the consumer as long as their software get upgraded. Samsung recent track record on software upgrade is very encouraging. My 1 year old Galaxy tab 7.7 been upgraded from honycomb to ice cream sandwich to Jelly bean.
No complain from me on Samsung! Will keep buying their products.
39. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2992; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
You forgot S4 duos!!
Somehow, this edition feels like Nexus 4.1.
22. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
no, it freedom of choice unlike outdated iConboard with fascistic approach (censored emails, censored apps, no default app choice = fascism) ;)
30. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5536; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
...lol, what? why? do you even know what i'm talking about? to say that there's "like 10" versions of the S4 is called exaggerating.
34. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Exaggerated! Not even 10.. 5 versions
37. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5536; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Exaggeration: to enlarge beyond bounds or the truth.
um, yeah. even.
46. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5536; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
thumbs down to a copy/paste from the merriam-webster dictionary too? i'm about to lose all hope in the members of this site...
33. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5536; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
why all the thumbs down? explain to me how saying "like 10" versions of the S4 is not a clear example of exaggerating.
29. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Dont forget each one of them will get a mini version and a PLUS version after 3-6 months. That'll be more than 10. /s
32. abdane (Posts: 473; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
"Dont forget each one of them will get a mini version..."
hmm... Galaxy S4 Mini Mini ! for the small screen lovers ! it will still be 4" hahaha as big as iPhone 5 :P
24. sharks (Posts: 164; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Google Edition? Isn't that what we can already do with CyanogenMod?
26. maccess (Posts: 561; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
not everyone root or even understand how to root their phone..
31. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5536; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
anyone that would care to have an AOSP experience on their Galaxy device knows how to root. there's just not any real place for a Galaxy S4 "Google Edition"
43. moroninc (Posts: 169; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
consumer choice! kudos to Samsung for reaching out to everyone ...
21. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
no! thats great! I will immediately buy that! otherwise have to survive with my Galaxy Nexus with replaceable battery for traveling...... :)
40. SleepingOz (unregistered)
This will eat a lot of the Nexus' market share!
42. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
it doesnt matter....Nexus was mean just to show how it should have been done...Nexuses make no profit
3. docj8404 (Posts: 72; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
This is an interesting rumor to say the least.. I can just see the confusion on your average customers face when you have your carrier rep explaining the "difference between this S4 & S4", assuming there's truth to all of this.
I'm also curious as to what would become of a lot of the features available on TouchWiz that was highly publicized now that we're using stock Android? With the developer community already hard at work, I can't imagine current S4 owners dropping their S4 in favor of this, especially considering how easy it is to get that stock Android experience (or damn near) on your device.
So many questions...7 or 8 hours should hopefully bring all the answers :)
6. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
So a nexus SGS4?
With a SD slot
Sounds good, very good
35. boosook (Posts: 891; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
It remains to be seen if the updates will be handled by Google or Samsung... stock android does not mean it's a Nexus, so we don't know yet if it will be updated every time like the nexus phones and tablets or if updates will be prepared by samsung (albeit on stock android) and so samsung will decide when (and until when) the phone will be updated to the latest android version.
Anyway, I think this is very good news, perhaps OEMs are starting to understand that many users prefer a sleek and always up to date OS to an OS heavily customized by the OEM, full of unneeded features that take up lots of space on the internal memory, given the fact that stock android can be customized by the user with its preferred apps and launchers.
7. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Well, samsung already sold 6million galaxy s4 units in just 1 week according to the news.
I wonder how will the other versions of galaxy s4 perform..
People who dont want touchwiz will be diving here..
8. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Well we've always wanted to stop touch wiz....if this is true gratz sammy!!
10. maccess (Posts: 561; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
even though i love their galaxy s line phone.. i always end up using nova launcher as my main launcher ( using it on my gs2 , note , gs3 and even htc one x ) i have no problem with touchwiz honestly but i just prefer the pure looks of stock android that the nova or apex launcher offered.. i will definetily buy this s4 google edition if its real..
12. wendygarett (unregistered)
I prefer touchwiz, it has svoice, smart stay, smart scroll and tons of air view stuff... There's no way I would go stock
14. maccess (Posts: 561; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
that's why the reasons i always buy the galaxy s line because of the feature and never buy stock android phone.. i just prefer the looks of the stock with all the touchwiz features.. and nova/apex launchers solves my needs.. but now i wonder if this google edition still has those touchwiz stuffs.. i dont think so.. but i still wanna give it a try...
18. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Kudos to samsung and LG for bringing software into another level not only leaning towards hardware specs bump
13. Smart (Posts: 76; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
Hey guys.......what time does the google i/o start?
15. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Yaaay! More free storage space!
20. MartianMe (unregistered)
OMG!!!!....finally a samsung nexus with a micro sd and removable battery...oooohhh i'm getting it.
23. CIturrios (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 May 2013)
This would be great. Can't wait for this to be ported to the other GS4 models
27. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 762; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Watch ALL those Nexus fans who claimed they don't care for Camera, MicroSD slot, removable batteries etc... Jump for this one! :'D
If this is true it will be awesome!
38. deadstroke (Posts: 113; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
oh yea!! go my son sammy... love it ((:
41. funnyguy2 (banned) (Posts: 34; Member since: 14 May 2013)
This version of the s4 should be the less Laggy one...
48. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3861; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
You shouldn't get thumbs down for this. It's true, Touchwiz is a thick and bloated layer on top of what was a perfectly smooth experience. Even HTC managed to put their skin on without adding any lag, and they've been notorious for their laggy and intrusive skins.
44. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
I'd rather have an HTC One running 5.0/4.3/whatever stock
45. madpiyal (Posts: 108; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
I don't think it's legit. Why would a company sell their flagship device ditching all their hard work in software side. And Sammy is expending a lot in promoting their home grown software, this stock Android attempt just puts all their hard work and money in vein.
50. k1ng617 (Posts: 238; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
If true, I hope parts of this can be ported to other recent Sammys. I think parts such as camera and mhl give custom Rom developers trouble. Maybe there can finally be mhl for cyanogenmod roms!
51. tll84 (Posts: 13; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
two questions -
1. is there a 32 gb internal memory model?
2. how much does it improve internal memory left after software is loaded?
i was about ready to cave and get the 16gb from Verizon (the only good option for cell service in my area) but this gives me reason to keep holding out.
52. ryan5609 (Posts: 96; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
True or not, as soon as a stable vanilla 4.2.2 ROM is available for the S4, I will certainly be saying goodbye to touchwiz. But I really do hope this rumor is true, it will just make it that much easier to get a good quality ROM up and running, hopefully the dev community makes it easy to turn on and off most of the new features of the S4. I am really looking forward to seeing how the S4 breezes through pure android.
54. TheRetroReplay (Posts: 242; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Want stock Android on your GS4? It's called Nova Launcher