x PhoneArena is looking for new authors in New York! To view all available positions, click here.

Steve Jobs says 60 million iPhone apps downloaded

Posted: , by Nanko R.

Steve Jobs says 60 million iPhone apps downloaded
In an interview for Wall Street Journal, Apple’s CEO Steve Jobs has said that more than 60 million programs have been downloaded from the App Store since its launch a month ago. Although most of them were free, Apple sold an average of $1 million in applications a day, which equals to $30 million in sales over the month. Although this is $9 million of gains for Apple, who just hosts the apps, Mr. Jobs says that the company’s hopes for profit rely on future sales of iPhone and iPod Touch devices.
I Am Rich

I Am Rich

Steve also said that pulling off the “I Am Rich” app was a “judgment” call. It was offered for $999.99 and did nothing but display a red ruby on the screen of the phone. Apple’s CEO also confirmed earlier rumors that the company is capable to remotely disable applications that are already installed on your device. This will be used if, by a mistake, Apple approves a malicious program for distribution.

source: WSJ via EngadgetMobile

I wonder how many people baught the "I am Rich" app.

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 09:35

8, or at least the author says so

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 17:23

Apps is a joke in my opinion. I use my phone to primarily talk and check my email etc. I don't need another laptop or something of that nature. Yeah it proves the fact that iphone market is for teenagers.

posted on 12 Aug 2008, 17:31

Teenagers like you who don't know how to write a sentence gramatically correct? ie "Apps is a joke" when it should be "Apps are a joke." If you do research you would learn that most of the iPhones are being used by professional and business people not teenagers; and I think that some of the apps are a great asset to the phone.

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 08:52

2. C-Chicki (unregistered)

People with the combined intelligence of Paris Hilton's little dog bought it.

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 14:26

Paris' brain isn't large enough to fit her dog's IQ.

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 09:33

3. C-Chicki (unregistered)

Oh ya... Apple you really have your kill switch ( ENGAGE!!!!!!! LOL) just so you can clean up any of your possible 'malicious' mistakes. BS Anyone else smell it?

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 14:17

my question is about the people w/ the hack program that allows the phone to be used on tmobile. can apple just remove that program and poof your phone dont work?

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 14:26

I wonder if the 60 million number includes the 50 times I had to re-download an app after crashing. What a shit phone

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 15:37

Well, probably the answer is "Yes, how can you even ask"

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 16:18

so then take into consideration other people had to do the same, so that means they only really had 12 million Unique Applications downloaded due to large amount of re-downloads due to broken apps. STEVE JOBS YOU MY FRIEND ARE FIRED!!!..

posted on 12 Aug 2008, 17:34

No, because the application can only be downloaded once. If your app crashed while downloading, that doesn't count as a download. A download is when the app is completely downloaded, installed, and ready to use. So the answer is no bitch.

posted on 15 Oct 2008, 23:51

oh?crashing??? by ur statement i think u either never ownd an iphone or u are so retarded u dont know how to use it