Sprint's LG G Flex is officially expensive: $299.99 on contract, launches January 31
0. phoneArena 16 Jan 2014, 12:15 posted on
Sprint is the first American carrier to reveal the G Flex's release date and price. The carrier offers free QuickView cases to customers who pre-order the new curved Android handset...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. ihavenoname (Posts: 961; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Bendable, curved, and self-healing. New technology costs.
14. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6621; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Lol well Spark actually seems to be working in Chicago sooooooo.
13. vandroid (Posts: 243; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
Still not worth that price put a durable case on your phone and it won't have scratches for "self healing" to be relevant
42. medicci37 (Posts: 552; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Not bendable or self-healing but ok. Most of the tech as well as the design is circa 2011 the SG Nexus
34. Shatter (Posts: 1766; Member since: 29 May 2013)
What if I told you there is not a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p phone screens if its 5" or below. This should have a 1080p though, you will just barley be able to see pixels if you try.
47. irellemot (Posts: 29; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
Have you ever played Real Racing 3 On a S600 1080P phone? You'll notice that it is in 720p with no Antialiasing, and it's a real eyesore.
53. PorkyBurger (Posts: 136; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I have played Real Racing 3 with ~230 ppi.
Eyesore? Aren't you spoilt...
4. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6621; Member since: 14 May 2012)
$299.99? Up against the iPhone 5S? I have zero faith this will succeed. Greedy Sprint is shooting themselves in the foot.
5. ihavenoname (Posts: 961; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Agreed. This is too weird and expensive for mass market. LG fans don't attack, it's great phone, but not top seller.
8. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
And lets not for get the Big Daddy Note 3, LG's not ready to command top dollar for their phones yet. +1
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6621; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I just noticed I just saw my beautiful Windy City as the location on the phone. :')
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hows the weather there? Vegas is clear at about 72.
24. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6621; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Lightly snowing and about 15° with Wind chill. It was in the high 40's two days ago. Chicago is really bipolar.
51. apple4never (Posts: 756; Member since: 08 May 2013)
i think most of north america has been like that, drive safe!!
29. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6621; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Well two weeks ago it was -48 and snowing. Not cool mother nature. Not cool.
31. greathero1 (Posts: 442; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
-48? I don't know how you all handle those frigid temperatures up north. Here it was 25 in Houston last week and I thought the world was coming to an end lol.
52. apple4never (Posts: 756; Member since: 08 May 2013)
up near my friends house in northern canada it hit negative 60 degrees celsius
40. snowgator (Posts: 3159; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Yep. I live downstate IL, and we set some records. Just painful cold....
6. _Bone_ (Posts: 2061; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Slogan should be
"LG G Flex. Just don't flex it."
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I hope they don't make a yellow one, people will call it the banana phone. Not an attractive device at all to me.
9. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1037; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Just when i thought that this phone wouldn't sell well... Now I know it won't sell well!
15. Jayshmay (Posts: 65; Member since: 27 Mar 2011)
Gosh! I can't believe the quick-window covers cost $60!!! I wouldn't even pay $30, for that!
There are a lot of consumers out there who would pay anything a company charges.
16. AfterShock (Posts: 1256; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
It's interesting alright, bit extreme imo.
Should easily carried on person.
Lower resolution kind of sucks.
Too much dollars.
17. eN16HTMAR3 (Posts: 84; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
I understand they are trying to do something new and I think they are on the right track. Like DarkJedi said, "LG cant command such a high price point". I agree with that statement especially if you consider how the G2 sold.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yeah, it's a nice device, but only the proven guys like apple, Sammy, and maybe HTC command such a price point and still sell well. +1
19. eman99 (Posts: 192; Member since: 03 Aug 2010)
Give it a couple of weeks before its priced at 150
21. Topcat488 (Posts: 1037; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
This thing is getting the "mumps", or "chicken pox" on the display because it's too young to play outside with the "Big Boys". Let the Note 3 show you the way LG.
23. MobileNico (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
First curved smartphone? So... the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus don't exist (even though both were offered on Sprint)?
The phone is a phenomenal device, just not for 300 bucks on contract. And I don't even mind the fact that the screen is 720p. The other things it offers more than make up for the resolution. At 6 inches, it would've been nice to have 1080p, but if the battery is better for having 720, I'd gladly take that tradeoff. This isn't TVs we're talking about here. It's a 6-inch screen. But 300? I'm not sure who Sprint thinks is going to purchase this device over the similarly spec'd G2, Note 3 or Nexus 5, all of which can be found for a lower price at this point. By being bendable, and self-healing, it will seemingly be much more durable than these phones. As ihavenoname mentioned earleir, new technology costs. I think people will have a hard time stomaching the asking price though.
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6621; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Curved (contour if I remember correctly) glass is different from curved phone.
48. irellemot (Posts: 29; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
I did some repairs on my old GNEX, and the "Curved" Glass was just glass that gradually got thicker at the bottom creating a curved effect.
28. MobileNico (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
This is true. The front face of the NS and GNex were the only truly curved components on those devices.
37. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1471; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
The curve on the GNex was sexy, this is just too much
33. papss (Posts: 3388; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I figured it would be stupidly priced.. I'm not so worried about the 720 display but price is huge and I'm not sure what this enhances as far as the experience goes. Also what is with the "upgradeable to 4.4" mean? Right out of the box?
39. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6621; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It ships with 4.2 but an update to 4.4 should pop up once you're connected to Sprint or WiFi.
35. GeekMovement (Posts: 1497; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Seriously? I'd rather go with the Galaxy Note 3 (definitely) or even the iPhone 5S rather than this.
44. MobileNico (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
I'd rather spend 50 more to go with an Nexus 5 and not have to sign a contract. And also not have to use Sprint. Lower resolution camera, but higher resolution screen, 4.4 out of the box, and same processor and memory.
49. GeekMovement (Posts: 1497; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
lol yeah better if it's not with Sprint.
38. mike2959 (Posts: 155; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
The phone is a fad. A gimmick. Remember 3d phones? Even the 3d televisions where sales are 34% down year over year. A smartphone is generally being used for media consumption. So does that mean the flat panel hanging on my wall means it's going to be a curved panel next year? No. The phone will actually take more space up in the pocket. Sorry. Epic fail.
41. snowgator (Posts: 3159; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Hmmmm..... This makes total sense. My Wife is all shades of excited for this 6", self healing bad boy. So, if my Wife wants it, of course it is going to be the most expensive thing on the market.
I can imagine AT&T reps calling her when I am not around:
"Sprint is asking 300.00 for it, does that sound about right? PROMISE you will still harrass your husband into getting it, regardless how overpriced we set it?? Coolness. We will go 350.00 on contract. We will throw in tissues for your husband as he cries like a toddler with a boo-boo as he pays...."
46. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5637; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Are u shytting me LG/SPRINT? 299? might as well buy it UNLOCKED.