Sprint won’t make profit out of the iPhone until 2015
0. phoneArena 16 May 2012, 09:37 posted on
Sprint’s chief executive Dan Hesse bet the farm on getting the iPhone to the nation’s third-largest carrier in a $15.5 billion deal spanning over the next four years…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. android_hitman (unregistered)
by then iPhone will not be so popular anymore :) so no more profit for you greedy Sprint
2. RoyalTroll (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Exactly, by the iPhone won't be as popular especially with bb10 and wp8 coming out. People get bored of the same s**t and eventually they will switch.
3. bragzter (Posts: 52; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
Apple is asking too much from carriers. So even if the carriers don't make any profit, they're already got paid, thus increasing the bottom line and smiling all the way to the bank.
4. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
You forgot the part where you corroborate the headline with content in the article. But I'll go ahead and do it for you:
"By its own admission, Sprint won’t profit from the device until 2015."
Direct quote from the AllThingsD article.
Now the trick will be to see if Sprint survives until 2015.
7. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Well said sniggly. Sprint was in trouble long before they got the iPhone. It's saving the subscribers, that's a plus rite there.
8. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I think what's really going to help Sprint is if they get a worthwhile 4G network up and running. WiMax was their biggest mistake ever.
29. miles16852 (Posts: 241; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Well Sniggly, maybe YOU should kick Dan Hesse out of his chair and take over, then we will surely see Sprint DIE WAY BEFORE 2015!! Ill bet the farm Dan Hesse and SPRINT will be around longer then you will live!
31. miles16852 (Posts: 241; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
nope! and im not a bro either! i dont talk ghetto! but your business sense sure is ghetto!
32. miles16852 (Posts: 241; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
i dont have sprint either, i have Tmobile :-) so why would i be mad! or is it just because you try to read how sprint will die? lol, your just guessing like the rest of the so called commentors about sprint dying,! just sounds like you jealous instead
36. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I'm sorry, refresh my memory; who are you and why should I pay attention to you, like, ever?
And... Why should I be jealous?
5. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Well, you make a deal with the Devil guess what??? You get screwed.
9. bubbadoes (Posts: 682; Member since: 03 May 2012)
good luck!!! the iphone will be extinct by then....
10. ZayZay (Posts: 571; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
I don't see how the iphone will be "extinct"... Sure it's "boring"... but won't be "extinct"... with all the people having macs and the sync and ease of use... People will still buy.... But by then Sprint might be "extinct"
11. SoJUICED (Posts: 11; Member since: 14 May 2010)
well sprint is at its largest subcriber base ever and continuing to climb...
13. 14545 (Posts: 1290; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
As with everything, this is the new device effect. So when the shininess of the new iPhone being on their network wears off they will be back at square one. At crappy network with subs leaving hand over fist. Like I've said numerous times, network first, then focus on the phones. This will sink them before they are ever profitable.
27. lsutigers (Posts: 817; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
I see your point but subscibers probably wont be leaving Sprint once their Network Vision (3G, 4G and HD Voice upgrades) are in place.
12. jove39 (Posts: 1582; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Well...carriers need to stand together against Apple...and ask for price reduction!
14. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1023; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
Sprint is trying to take a page from AT&T and use the iPhone as a way to make themselves a respected company again. this isnt 2007 where the amount smartphone companies were almost nonexistant...............this is 2012 and there are TV companies (Sony and LG) that have their own Smartphones!!
Sprint is too little, too late to bank on Apple to bail them out of "the red!" the other 3 major carriers have smartphones that are better than Apple when it comes to screen size, PRICE, specifications, capability, and many others. Sprint may not last till 2015 with the business practices that they're doing
15. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Those phones are not better when it comes to user satisfaction, return rate, failure rate, customer loyalty and sales.
iPhone dominates android
16. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Your first sentence was fairly correct.
The second sentence is clearly false. I'd explain why, but you never get it when I do.
Slightly better does not equal domination.
17. jove39 (Posts: 1582; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
May be Sprint will learn it with time...and start promoting Android and Windows Phone like Verizon and ATT have started...to make for some lost traction due to carrying burden of iPhone.
18. jove39 (Posts: 1582; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I just liked writing iPhone a burden...lol
19. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
The problem is customers don't want android or Windows phone
20. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
56 percent worldwide market share proves you wrong.
21. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea, except that android has more than double the world wide market share of iOS and growing faster than iOS by a wide margin.
Last I looked, iOS was nearly stagnant in Q1, didnt sell as well as Samsung phones, and had about the same growth world wide as BADA..
yup.. thats the ultimate platform alright.
23. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Customers think so and study after study proves it.
24. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
The majority of people also think a government is a great way to organize society.
The majority CAN be wrong, you know.
22. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1023; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
AT&T and Verizon have become the companies that they are because of variety. the iPhone is NOT the best phone out there and certainly not the right phone for everyone either. im a big man (6'7" 240 lbs) and the screen of the iPhone is too small for me!! I will upgrade to the Note not just because of the screen size, but because of features that you cant get from the iPhone.
i had sprint and the biggest selling point is their unltd data plan! Sprint needs to keep that going because the iPhone can only do so much to prevent implosion. I dont know about you, but if Sprint knew that they weren't going to profit from the iPhone, why get it?? didnt they learn from AT&T that depending on one phone company to keep yourself afloat is NOT a good business practice??
25. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I can explain quickly. It's because Sprint is ran by intelligent business people who live in reality.
Only in fandroid world is iPhone bad for business.
26. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Because WiMax and Nextel were such intelligent business decisions, right?
34. miles16852 (Posts: 241; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
must be nice to be 'all knowing' like you, you sure did not know that at the time of the begining did you? right?
38. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Can you make me a burger? You seem to have some beef to spare.
28. kabukijoe (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
Yeah Apple makes a decent phone, but it is a lack luster device that is more for "luxury" than performance. But with my experience in a cell phone store Apple is nothing more than a popular brand to most people. They want it because "everyone has one" or simply "because it's an iPhone." I can't tell you how many people I deal with that ask "where's the iPhone?" when it is right in front of them, then ask "oh, is this the newest one? When does the next one come out?" which proves that it is nothing more than people wanting to have the latest greatest iPhone so they can feel some false sense of high class or so they can one up their buddies.
37. theruleslawyer (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Too bad the iPhone completely screwed Sprint's 3g data speeds.